"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After two listens, I would say that "Nude," "Reckoner," and "Videotape" are first-tier additions to the Radiohead canon. I feel that this album, much like Kid A, will improve with each spin.

I took the album out for a walk around the golf course on the iPod this afternoon -- sounds great with the headphones. Jigsaw really stands out on the headphones.

What I love about this album -- and about so much of Radiohead's work -- is that it has so much gravitas, so much weight, so much artistry. They bring so much depth and passion to their work. So, so solid.

I'd put it just below Arcade Fire's Neon Bible for album of the year for me so far, and a little higher than Bruce Springsteen's Magic, Wilco's Sky Blue Sky and Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha.

^ Love Neon Bible. :)

Dalton, you have a very good point.... :D I'll definitely be buying the album in Jan (I like having a hard copy).

Thanks so much... I'll wait just a little longer though... If the site still won't allow me in in a few hours time, I think I'll use your link. Thanks so much once again, I really appreciate it. :hug:

Downloaded it when I woke up and have been listening to it all day. My simple, totally non-analytical, purely feeling review:

This album is a thing of beauty. :love:

phanan said:

I can understand what you're saying, but as an entire piece, it doesn't touch OK Computer.

And if you use the song-by-song approach, I don't think it beats The Bends. I may or may not be in the minority on that, I don't know, but that's my opinion anyway. While not as cohesive as OK Computer, the songs on that are just brilliant all the way through.

You're definitely right. The sum is greater than the whole of its parts, mainly the 2nd half.

I don't listen to anything after Karma Police individually other than Electioneering when I need some wicked cowbell, but that's it.

Now, when Disc 2 comes out, I can't wait to mix around the songs to make the perfect 12-track album.

I checked greenplastic.com, and here's what they said:

Since there were no lyrics included with the download, it's been left up to the fans to try and figure them out. We have most from live performances which you can find in our lyrics page, but we need your help with some of the unknown ones like "Faust Arp" and the totally different "Reckoner". If you have a good ear and want to take a stab, send them on over to us. Of course, if Thom wanted to just save everyone the trouble he could post them on Dead Air Space. Just sayin'. :)

As much as I don't want to, it's hard not to compare this to the rest of the Radiohead discography.

Especially after listening to this album about 10 times today.

MrBrau1 said:
Good lord.

Someone is saying this is better than "The Bends" or "OK" after less than 24 hours of listening?

LOL

LOL I think it's better than the Bends, but not OK Computer. But then again, I've always preferred the 1997-on material.

ShipOfFools said:

LOL I think it's better than the Bends, but not OK Computer. But then again, I've always preferred the 1997-on material.

Well, I'm warming up to it on take 4.

But I think calling it better than the Bends after less than one day is very, very poor judgement.

for me this album has a warm quality that I've never heard from a Radiohead record before... like All I Need. The end of that song is the most uplifting thing the band has ever done. I don't think I can quite put my love for this album into words, but to me it feels very different from Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTT. There are some similarities but those albums all felt cold and depressing...which isn't a bad thing, I love Kid A, I've lost myself in that album many times. But even the beautiful organic moments on HTTT like Sail to the Moon are extremely melancholy... not that this album is full of joy, but this album does for me what ATYCLB does (which has many dark songs and themes but overall feels warm and comforting).

does anyone agree with me? it seems most of you are disappointed? some say it's nothing new but as I stated above to me it sounds like totally new territory for Radiohead...the feelings the songs evoke is just something else. also i love the production on this album so i don't understand the complaints there. the only thing that bothers me is the weird thing in Videotape, and that only bothers me a bit now.

Kid A is maybe the single-most depressing record I've ever listened to.

You hit it right on the head for me, AB. There is a warmth here that was hinted at in Amnesiac that was finally delivered here.

Two and a half listens in - I really like this. I honestly hear a lot more "rock" here than I expected, or at least much more conventional songs. But through the filter of post-2000 Radiohead. I dig. I. Dig.

Dalton said:
I agree, but at this point neither can we rule out the possibility.

Anything is possible.

The Emmylou Harris record I just bought might be better than "The Bends."

I need to listen to it more.

The nice thing about people who make such "better than" declarations on day one is that we can take their opinions on just about anything with a huge grain of salt.

Last edited:
This album's really helping me finish work on The Adventures of Huck Finn... :|

LemonMacPhisto said:
Kid A is maybe the single-most depressing record I've ever listened to.

You hit it right on the head for me, AB. There is a warmth here that was hinted at in Amnesiac that was finally delivered here.

I agree, Kid A probably is the most depressing record I've ever heard.

I'm glad someone agrees :up: I dunno if I heard much warmth in Amnesiac though...You and Whose Army maybe...

yeah this album is really helping me study Latin...:uhoh: also now im watching south park...bono is on it :shifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom