Curt Schilling.....to Boston?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
WFAN and ESPN are reporting it is almost a done deal.

Anyone hear any other news on this?

Not a 3 way deal (sorry chizip).
Its all up to Schilling now, he wants an extension before waiving his no trade clause, Theo is on his way to Phoenix as we speak.

Now...where to find the money?

I am officially placing manny ramierez on ebay this morning. The bidding will start at $5.00 and there is no reserve. Get your 100 RBI man here ladies and gentlemen. We have people to see, players to sign, and are in need of those millions. Please feel free to bid more than once, as the highest bidder wins!

We'll know today if Curt will be at Fenway to finish up his career... I believe 5 is the deadline. EST. i think.

I think Schilling will be a good pitcher but don't know if he'll be great in the AL. As Headache stated, he is 37 coming off a season with some injuries. Also, as we all know, there is no "automatic" out in the 9 hole. He is going to the "softball "league with the DH. I hope he does well though.

different pitchers totally...

glavine is more of a pussballin finesse lefty, who lived on the corners. when the strike zone tightened, especially on the corners, he got worse. Just like in the 97 series against the Marlins, when maddux and glavine didnt get the calls, they got worse.

Schilling is obviously a power pitcher. i dont see how changing leagues will affect him, it usually affects hitters more. I think schilling can be dominant for another year, maybe two, and be a pretty quality starter for 2-3 more years. far better than Glavine for the next few years.

ummm well finesse pitchers usually last longer than power pitchers. throwin' the ball as hard as humanly possiable tends to mess up the ole' shoulder... funny how that works. glavine still had the same stuff he had the year before... just couldn't hit the corners, like you said.

last year schilling had an apendectomy, a broken hand (allegedly from punching a questec camera), problems with the left knee, the hammy and his groin...

he has 13 million left on his deal from the diamondbacks, then the 25.5 option the sox gave him kicks in with 12.5 in '05 and '06, with a player option for 13 million in '07. so much for the fiscal responsability discussed around the time they placed manny on waivers. they're now looking at the possability of paying 13 million dollars to a 40 year old, who also had injury problems with the phillies in 94, 95, 96 and 99.

i'll say it again... if he stays healthy, it's a great move... if anotnio mcdyess stayed healthy for the knicks, that woulda been a great move too. has done wonders since...

and on a side note... pedro's strikeout totals last year were their lowest in a non-injury season since 1995 with montreal.

Last edited:
The Diamondbacks and the Milwaukee Brewers completed a blockbuster trade Monday that sends slugger Richie Sexson to Arizona as part of a nine-player deal.

Milwaukee sent Sexson, reliever Shane Nance and a player to be named to Arizona for infielder Craig Counsell, second baseman Junior Spivey, first baseman Lyle Overbay, catcher Chad Moeller, and left-handers Chris Capuano and Jorge De La Rosa.

The Brewers scheduled an afternoon news conference at Miller Park to announce the deal.

De La Rosa was one of four players the Red Sox traded to the Diamondbacks on Saturday for Curt Schilling.

The Boston deal wasn't final until Schilling's physical exam Monday. Schilling had to pass the physical before De La Rosa could be added to Arizona's roster, and therefore eligible for a trade.

good to see baseball has solved their financial problems... a young 40+ homer guy for a bunch of no name bums

and dan patrick is reporting on his radio show that george steinbrener will petition the league office to allow him to apply softball rules to the yankees in order to get a 10th man on the field. :lmao:

ahhh young theo... i give you credit for going out and grabbing schilling right away. risky, but possiably a very good move... but let's see how many hotel rooms he smashes when george and the evil empire go out and sign 6 all stars to answer to his 1 all star comming off an injury...

Actually, the deal isnt THAT bad for Milwaukee if they had to get rid of Sexson. obviously, it was a salary dump for the brewers, but they did get some pretty decent guys back in return.

spivey was great in 2002, but it doesnt make sense since they just drafted rickie weeks and even gave him some mlb time in 03.:shrug:

overbay was a fairly good prospect who, as it seems, will take over for sexson at 1B either now or eventually. but, hes also 25. he did have a .276 average in 86 games for the dbacks, but other than that there was nothing to get excited over. minimal power (4 hr), average plate dicipline (35 bb in 86 game).

caupano has probably worn off the prospect title, since hes 24, but he did post a 3.35 era in aaa, with a 1.24 whip, and got some Mlb expierence with the dbacks... 33 ip 4.64 era. nothing to get excited over, but the brewers need arms, and he COULD be alright... plus hes a lefty.

moeller is a decent catcher, hit .268 in 239 ab this year, 7 hr. never really been given a chance to be a full time starter, only played 37 games in 2002, 25 in 01 and 48 in 00. 27 years old...

de la rosa was the only prospect with potential in the deal, had a 2.81 era in AA 102k/36bb which is a good ratio... 3.75 era in aaa, but that was only 24 ip... hes only 21 and a lefty, so he could be pretty good.

counsell is a pretty good utility guy too, but nothing more.

obviously, the dbacks got a damn good deal, but in terms of a salary dump and getting a fairly decent return, i can see where the brewers are coming from.

finesse pitchers do last longer than power pitchers, but i credit glavines downfall moreso due to him not hitting the corners anymore, where he lived for his whole career...

and exactly, if schill stays healthy, then its a great deal. apendectemy won't happen again, line drive was a fluke... if his knee, hammy and groin can hold up, he'll be good...

even after all that this year, he still posted great numbers. its a great win now trade for the sox, which is what they want to do... 2-3 years down the line...well see.

if trading your only good and marketable player for some prospects who are far from locks to be anything more than servicable, then alrighty... great move. yeah, they have prince fielder in the minors, and he looks to be a stud at first base... but sexson has played the outfield before, and they could deffinetly keep both... they just don't want to pay for it. the brewers have a set ceiling of 35 million, and they'll trade anyone to get to that number. i feel sorry for whatever fans the brewers have left... and to think, the man who helped put the brewers in this spot is the commissioner of baseball :shrug:

and on the opposite end of the baseball spectrum... the combined payrolls of the yankees and red sox is expected to approach $450 million.

i agree, they could have gotten more, but its not THAT bad.

but why take overbay and spivey? prince and weeks are in the wings.

they should have gotten some solid pitching prospects, ala blanton from oakland, or at least some sure fire cant miss blue chip prospect.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

and my mets appear to be close to adding luis castillo... duqette better close the damn deal

ain't gonna happen. castillo re-signed with the marlins.

yeah i just saw that too... go figure.

now there's talk that not only are the yankees gonna bring back pettite, but also look to deal jeff weaver straight up for kevin brown... which the dodgers would do simply to save 14 million... javier vasquez, kaz matsui from japan, aaand maels rodriguez... the young cuban kid who reportedly hits 100 on the gun. there is no limit for king george and the evil empire.

Last edited:
don't blame the yankees... blame the idiots who trade all their talent away in order to make a buck. seriously... the yankees are spending rediculous amounts of money... but then again, so are the red sox. everyone talks about a salary cap to keep the yankees from spending so much... why not a minimmum cap... to MAKE some of these teams like millwauke, pittsburgh and detroit spend enough money to stay competitive. the richie sexson deal made no sense baseball wise. it was a strictly money deal. these three franchises held their cities hostage in order to get financing for a new stadium... they got their stadiums, and then proceeded to not spend the money to put a good product on the field, saying they still can't compete. bull crap. the marlins proved that you don't need to spend half a billion dollars to win, that with a modest 50-60 million payroll, you can do well if you put together a good team. pisses me off... maybe if some of these other teams simply tried to compete for free agents, the yankees wouldn't be able to sign all of 'em. right now the only team trying to compete with the yanks are the red sox. and i applaud them for doing so.

put a good product on the field = win games = people show up = make money

it's a very simple equation... unfortunatly the prevailing thought in baseball today is that you can't compete if you're a small market so why try. the people who hate george are off base. what is steinbrenner doing? he's putting a winning product on the field and making HIS fans happy. the selig family puts a sub par product on the field, steals money for a new stadium from the city of milwaukee, and trade off all their good players to "large market teams" the second they get "too big" for the market, and then blame the team they just traded their best player too. these small market teams are driving their own fans away by the droves, and making their cities pay a quarter-of-a-billion dollars for empty stadiums with shitty players. it's a joke.

the cardinals resigned chris carpenter!!!!

world series here we come!!!

Back
Top Bottom