Am I the only one here who doesn't especially like Frank Sinatra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always liked Frank Sinatra but I love Dean Martin. He just appealed to me more. His voice was amazing. And he was a big hottie :drool:

No, I'm not 90 yrs old.

what i dislike is the general style of music. while i can respect anyone good at it as talented, i can't listen to it for more than 30 seconds at a time.

:shifty:

brettig said:
I've never really liked him either martha.

In the American music icon stakes, Bob Dylan takes him to the cleaners. :up:

in the american music icon stakes, frank sinatra's "friends" own the cleaners, which turns out to just be a front for an illegal gambling ring, and if bob dylan ever tried to take anyone there, he'd end up wearing the cement shoes down at the bottom of the east river... baaada BING... fo-get abowt it

frank_sinatra.jpg

I respect him like I respect Victorian literature. While I love such classics as "Wuthering Heights," you can't pay me to read "Mayor of Casterbridge" again. However, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it for its classic value to literature as a whole, while still personally disliking it. That's how I approach Frank Sinatra--a musical icon that I respect, but personally am not enthusiastic for.

Melon

phenomenal voice, timing and timbre
worked with some of the best songwriters
and with some of the best musicians & arrangers

what is there not to like?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

in the american music icon stakes, frank sinatra's "friends" own the cleaners, which turns out to just be a front for an illegal gambling ring, and if bob dylan ever tried to take anyone there, he'd end up wearing the cement shoes down at the bottom of the east river... baaada BING... fo-get abowt it

frank_sinatra.jpg

PERFECT!

As one who grew up in Bergen County (see Frank's inmate tag in the mugshot) and hung out in Hoboken (Frank's home), I am a bit jaded. I love most of his music.

growing up, there was a NYC radio station (top 40/rock at the time) that would do "Saturday Night's with Sinatra." Although my parents disliked him, their friends (natives of the area, unlike my parents) adored him and would have the radio tuned to "SNWS" every Saturday night. Good memories.

It's never been my thing either. :slant: I have great respect for the man, I've just never gotten into any of that music. Ditto for Elvis Presley (the singer). :reject:

Salome said:
phenomenal voice, timing and timbre

See, I have to respectfully disagree with this. I think his voice isn't all that, his timing may be alright, but he grandstands a lot, and whenever he sings anything with a long U sound, I get the shakes.

I don't like apple pie, either. I prefer cherry.

I know, I know. Big ole L on my forehead.

lol martha. I like Sinatra's music. In fact, I'm quite enjoying the Sinatra album I just bought. But I totally understand those who say they aren't knocked out by his stuff. I used to pretty much be indifferent to Sinatra. I was brought to his (and much other) music through swing dancing, which I used to do regularly.

Sinatra lived the high life and yet was apparently a very lonely man, always trying to find love, but settling for much less. That makes his music that much more interesting to me. It's like he's singing many of those ballads to himself.

U2Lynne said:
I'm with you Martha, but Bono crooning Frank Sinatra-like is droolworthy.

i don't like it, which leads me to bleive that it's the style i don't like and not the specific singer.

'droolworthy' :eyebrow:

he was given great opportunities by his "family" and he was given great songs. But I don't really like his style and he always seemed so up himself, to use the Aussie vernacular, as an actor as well as a singer/entertainer. Although I did recently watch "Come Blow Your Horn" and part of "Von Ryan's Express" and somewhat enjoyed them.

Dean Martin belongs in a whole different category. He always seemed like he had just heard a very funny joke and was dying to tell it , plus he had great warmth in his voice. Compared to him,Sinatra was a pip squeak......imho:D
(yes...please be careful of my painful bursars when you are applying the cement shoes....)
I heard a funny Sinatra story recently, can't recall who told it. About him rolling up to a concert( ahh yes I recall, Des O'Connor, another Irish singer) in the back of a pantech truck, the roller door going up and there was Sinatra, looking so cool, standing there with a drink in his hand, moments before he went on. Just not what you would expect to find in the back of a truck:)
About liking Dean and being 90.....I was at someone's party and she put on a Sinatra CD . One of the other guests asked"what's up with you, you having a mid-life crisis or something?" tee hee.

Good music is ageless....imho
Look, I'll get the cement boots for long-windedness.

I've been hearing Sinatra sing "Fly me To the Moon" a lot on the radio lately
**cass hitches a ride to the moon**:up::wave:
over & out...actaully now I'm hearing them in my mind's ear..Sinatra had some VERY good songs.

Without Bono being associated with him, I would know very little about him. I still know little about him and dont plan on changing that just because Bono is a pimp with high faluting friends. Not criticising either of them, but Bono hangs out with a whole barnyard of different people and Frank is one. One I never cared for to begin with, and don't now.

Not to say others here do that!

So, yes. Martha I agree.

:D

I don't especially like or dislike Frank. It was all a bit before my time, frankly. Though as with Elvis Presley, I have a glancing admiration for his music/performance.

I like One for My Baby and One for the Road.

actually what I liked about "Come Blow Your Horn" ( other than the title:D...) was the performance by the actor who played the father to Sinatra.
"BUMS!! you're all BUMS...my sons are nothing but BUMS!!'
something like that. And the mother was funny as well.
Cranky Franky..he is famous for calling an Australian female journalist a hooker.
I loved the way Bono slipped in the "blue eyes" phrase into "I've Got You Under My Skin".

I love sinatra and not just for the music. He had such swagger and style and glamour. I would've wanted to be part of his Rat Pack. As for the songs themselves, when Frank sang a love song you could tell that was a guy who was once in love. And when he sang a song about a broken heart, you could tell he had many of those in his day too. His version of Send in the Clowns is heartbreaking. I've heard it done by others and it doesn't sound even remotely as good.

Back
Top Bottom