Saitama III Setlist Watch and Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lila64 said:

the snippet doesn't resemble the two songs you mentioned above at all! :scratch:

Here's how I render it, from 2:45 on my copy:

*wailing* I don't wanna ??? (x2), by the waterside, by the waterside, living by the waterside, living on the dock on the bay, watching them(?) slip away, by the waterside, take me by the water, take [put?] me in the river, take me in the water, take me in the water, the waterside

I can see the "living on the dock of the bay, watching them(?) slip away" being a mangled reference to Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay - after all, Bono is good at mangling lyrics. The other bit ... a passing reference to Take Me To The River at best. And I emphasise "at best"!

Last edited:
Axver said:

Hi! Next tour, maybe we'll have a Banjul Setlist Watch and Party. :wink:

Yeah, U2 should really be touring The Gambia, it's not fair!:madspit:

Kidding of course:wink: , can't really see U2 playing the Independance Stadium in Banjul... There would probably about 50 people showing up to see them and they would all be expats!

Unfortunately, it seems like the only 'western' music that has made its way to West African tape players is Celine Dion and Westlife! Sad but true...

Maybe Take Me To The River by Talking Heads.He has been known to throw in Life During Wartime during Discotheque.

Last edited:
oceane said:

Yeah, U2 should really be touring The Gambia, it's not fair!:madspit:

Kidding of course:wink: , can't really see U2 playing the Independance Stadium in Banjul... There would probably about 50 people showing up to see them and they would all be expats!

Unfortunately, it seems like the only 'western' music that has made its way to West African tape players is Celine Dion and Westlife! Sad but true...

Yikes! Considering that the only exposure to west African music I have is pretty talented performances of traditional styles of music, I thought they would have taken to something from the West that's a little more talented than Celine Dion and Westlife.

Maybe U2 should do a tour of every Gambian town, no matter how small or insignificant, just to expose the entire population to good rock music. :wink:

AndrewCowley said:
Take Me To The River has been snippeted in Bad during the JT tour, perhaps the UF tour too.

I don't recall any JT Tour examples of Take Me To The River, but I know of at least three on the UF Tour and there was apparently one on Vertigo too.

I'm pretty shit when it comes to predicting sets. But here I go with safe option (I think)

Only on the basis that First Time and All I Want Is You haven't been regulars recently, and that Japan hasn't seen LAPOE...

First Time for Still Haven't Found
All I Want.... for LAPOE.

If we aint sussed it by the end of play,I'll give it a go tonight around 5pm GMT.Still in work see,bugger......

Lila64 said:
didn't sound like either song to me Axver :reject:

Do you agree with my lyrics though? I mean, it's a bit hard to make out, but part could be a mangled Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay reference in my opinion - it seems plausible, and he had snippeted it earlier on that leg of Popmart.

The Take Me To The River suggestion seems a whole lot less plausible though.

I wish I could figure out what this is. Google's being no help at all.

Axver said:

Yikes! Considering that the only exposure to west African music I have is pretty talented performances of traditional styles of music, I thought they would have taken to something from the West that's a little more talented than Celine Dion and Westlife.

Maybe U2 should do a tour of every Gambian town, no matter how small or insignificant, just to expose the entire population to good rock music. :wink:

Well people do stick with West African music for the most part, as well as reggae/rasta stuff from Jamaica... Don't really know how Celine and Westlife made it here, but it must have to do with dumping large amount of their albums on tapes in the region!

I'm not sure how anyone would feel about 'rock music' here, it's really not their idea of music for the most part, if rhythm is not the central part of the music they usually don't like it. Although I once met a Gambian who knew and liked U2, and I was sooooo excited!:wink: I was listening to MW in my office and he came in and said 'hey it's U2!'. And I was like 'What!?!:ohmy: You know U2!?!', and he said 'Yeah I love them! A friend of mine from Germany once made me a tape, they're really good!'

It totally made my day! :wink:

oceane said:

Hey Oceane :wave:
Hope they're not still playing Nelly all the time over there, that was a bloody nightmare.

Axver said:

Do you agree with my lyrics though? I mean, it's a bit hard to make out, but part could be a mangled Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay reference in my opinion - it seems plausible, and he had snippeted it earlier on that leg of Popmart.

The Take Me To The River suggestion seems a whole lot less plausible though.

I wish I could figure out what this is. Google's being no help at all.

Yeah, your lyrics sound correct... but I just didn't feel those two songs in those lyrics... Google wasn't much help to me either

Last edited:
bgmckinney said:

Hey Oceane :wave:
Hope they're not still playing Nelly all the time over there, that was a bloody nightmare.

Hi ! :wave:

Yeah how could I forget Hip Hop! Of course, THE main western export to Gambia is American Hip Hop... I probably forgot about it because of my deep hatred for that genre :wink:

Haven't heard that much of Nelly but I can tell you 50 cents is THE man around here. See kids wearing shirts with his face on it and grafittis to his glory everywhere... so sad... Oh well I guess it's not surprising that young Africans will look up to successful African-americans, but why only the bad ones? Around here when young teenage boys 'dress-up' to go out or something it usually means shedding tradionnal dress for a gangsta look...

oceane said:
I'm not sure how anyone would feel about 'rock music' here, it's really not their idea of music for the most part, if rhythm is not the central part of the music they usually don't like it. Although I once met a Gambian who knew and liked U2, and I was sooooo excited!:wink: I was listening to MW in my office and he came in and said 'hey it's U2!'. And I was like 'What!?!:ohmy: You know U2!?!', and he said 'Yeah I love them! A friend of mine from Germany once made me a tape, they're really good!'

It totally made my day! :wink:

Heh, that's awesome! Maybe U2 do have a potential Gambian fanbase after all. How about a concert in Banjul of just Adam and Larry? Maybe then the rhythm will be prominent enough for Gambia. :wink:

Thought I'd pop into the party and hang for a bit. I was at Saitama one right on front on Adam's side and was dumb enough not to have gotten tickets for all three shows.

I guess this will have to do.

maycocksean said:
Thought I'd pop into the party and hang for a bit. I was at Saitama one right on front on Adam's side and was dumb enough not to have gotten tickets for all three shows.

I guess this will have to do.

I think I've lived almost every Vertigo show vicariously through our setlist sources. It's not so bad ... if you have no life. :wink:

Axver said:

oceane forcing Celine Dion's music onto defenceless Gambians. :tsk: :tsk:

:wink:

Hey I am from Québec after all! Have to promote local exports wherever I go :wink:

What the rest of the world doesn't realise is that we've had Céline screaming in our ears since she was 12 years old! When she made it big on the world stage we'd been stuck with her for about 10 years already :|

Axver said:

I think I've lived almost every Vertigo show vicariously through our setlist sources. It's not so bad ... if you have no life. :wink:

^pity she never went down with that big boat then.........

..or bored of your arse in work,with feck all to do.

oceane said:

Hey I am from Québec after all! Have to promote local exports wherever I go :wink:

What the rest of the world doesn't realise is that we've had Céline screaming in our ears since she was 12 years old! When she made it big on the world stage we'd been stuck with her for about 10 years already :|

Oh, that's like bloody Kylie Minogue down here! While you lot have only had to put up with a few hits, in Australia and NZ we get EVERY. DAMN. SONG. she puts out. It should be considered cruel and unusual punishment!

And we also get stuck with every other Neighbours has-been trying to follow in Kylie's footsteps and forge a musical career. Forge in more ways than one.

:barf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom