Smile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathou_u2

Refugee
Here's something I wrote sometime in 2006, there's not much structure, but it's my definition of the word "smile"...
Bono didn't necessarily inspire this one, but he certainly is a very worthy subject!:cute:

bonosmiletosky.jpg

Smile

Sharing looks with eyes
Discovering deeper joy
Breaking lines on our faces
Forming a tender smile
Simple movement of feelings
Changing a whole shape
Sharing common emotions
Anywhere, but close to heart
One mood radiating
Another one devastating
Measure yourself
Sharing this shape
Of every mouth
Wanting to see it
Not only on ourselves
But on other souls too
A human action
Throughout our body
Expressing minds on the surface
Rather than left hiding inside
To make it burst in daylight
And lasting by night
Comforting young innocence
Spreading across the world
One move, defying Hell
One smile to change the world

*blushes like crazy*

Thank you!!! :hug::heart:

It's one thing to let your thoughts spread on a piece of paper, because you more often than not end up thinking it's rubbish:lol: But when you do receive confirmation that it isn't THAT silly, well, then, it's wonderful!! :heart:

Wow, what a wonderful flow this poem has! And that is most important when it comes to poetry. :D I love it! That is what truly happens between people when they smile at each other. Lovely description!

Do you read a lot of poetry?

:loveshower: Thank you!!!:hug:

Here's the thing, I only started to read poetry but recently, like 3 years ago. I'm studying psych and doing a minor in English lit, because I'm a Jane Austen addict!:heart: Some of my favourite poets though are Dickinson, Rainer Maria Rilke, Shakespeare obviously (Hamlet & As You Like It:cute:), Keats, Byron...:heart:

Breaking lines on our faces
Forming a tender smile
Simple movement of feelings

I don't know why, but I absolutely loved these lines. I think there's some sort of intimacy that can be inferred by these, or something...and I like intimacy. It sounds like the beginning to some story or something. It's simple and beautiful.

One move, defying Hell

And I love this one, too. I love the power you give to a smile here. Especially since it's so true.

This poem made me, um, well, smile :). Fantastic, and lovely inspiration for it as well!

Angela

:loveshower: Thank you!!!:hug:

Here's the thing, I only started to read poetry but recently, like 3 years ago. I'm studying psych and doing a minor in English lit, because I'm a Jane Austen addict!:heart: Some of my favourite poets though are Dickinson, Rainer Maria Rilke, Shakespeare obviously (Hamlet & As You Like It:cute:), Keats, Byron...:heart:

Ok, you said Keats! Yay! I love me some Keats!

When I have fears that I may cease to be
before my pen has glean'd my teeming brain,
before high piled books, in charact'ry
Hold like rich garners the full-ripen'd grain;
When I behold, upon the night's starr'd face,
Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance
And think that I may never live to trace
Their shadows, with the magic hand of chance...

Ah..he's so amazing.

And don't even get me started on Byron! :love: He's truly a fantastic poet!

You so need to watch the movie Bright Star (about Keats) and read a book called Passion. I can't remember who wrote it, a friend is borrowing it right now. But it's about Keats, Byron and the Shelly's. OMG! Greatest book EVER!

And I didn't start reading poetry until this year and I'm so glad I did. I've been missing a lot!

I don't know why, but I absolutely loved these lines. I think there's some sort of intimacy that can be inferred by these, or something...and I like intimacy. It sounds like the beginning to some story or something. It's simple and beautiful.
:loveshower: Angela, I really don't know what to say! Intimacy, such a powerful concept. It's very hard to capture, but even unaware, you can! :heart: Sometimes the most intimate of poems, pieces of writing, no matter if you haven't lived through those lines, they're the most touching! :cute:

And I love this one, too. I love the power you give to a smile here. Especially since it's so true.
:D:D:D Indeed it is! It's such a mundane act, but when one starts to dwell on it, it's very potent! :hug:

Ok, you said Keats! Yay! I love me some Keats!

When I have fears that I may cease to be
before my pen has glean'd my teeming brain,
before high piled books, in charact'ry
Hold like rich garners the full-ripen'd grain;
When I behold, upon the night's starr'd face,
Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance
And think that I may never live to trace
Their shadows, with the magic hand of chance...

Awww!! Bless him!:heart:

I'll only reply with...

Ode to a Nightingale

My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk:
'Tis not through envy of thy happy lot,
But being too happy in thine happiness,--
That thou, light-winged Dryad of the trees
In some melodious plot
Of beechen green, and shadows numberless,
Singest of summer in full-throated ease...

Oh gosh, I saw Bright Star, bawled my eyes out!! :sad::sad: Looove historical/book adaptation/drama of the sort movies, so undoubtedly, that movie was quite brilliant!! :heart: Melts my heart!

You so need to watch the movie Bright Star (about Keats) and read a book called Passion. I can't remember who wrote it, a friend is borrowing it right now. But it's about Keats, Byron and the Shelly's. OMG! Greatest book EVER!

I'll look into it, but if you have a sudden flash of the author's name or something, email me! It looks good!:cute:

And it's NEVER too late to get into poetry!:hug:

Awww!! Bless him!:heart:

I'll only reply with...

Ode to a Nightingale

My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk:
'Tis not through envy of thy happy lot,
But being too happy in thine happiness,--
That thou, light-winged Dryad of the trees
In some melodious plot
Of beechen green, and shadows numberless,
Singest of summer in full-throated ease...

Oh gosh, I saw Bright Star, bawled my eyes out!! :sad::sad: Looove historical/book adaptation/drama of the sort movies, so undoubtedly, that movie was quite brilliant!! :heart: Melts my heart!

I'll look into it, but if you have a sudden flash of the author's name or something, email me! It looks good!:cute:

And it's NEVER too late to get into poetry!:hug:

OMG Ode to a Nightingale! YESSS! Second favorite Keats poem! Great choice!

Back
Top Bottom