Scared of Success

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
I somehow always find a way to convince myself that I am not good enough.

I bust my ass to convince my students that they can achieve anything.

I have come to the conclusion that there is something inside of me that always seems to get in the way of accomplishing things....:mad:

a struggle so many of us deal with on a daily basis...

in my little circle, we call this 'fear of being exposed as a fraud'. we know on an intellectual level that we're more than capable, but for some reason we all seem to forget that every now and then. funny how we sometimes need to convince ourselves that we're worthy of the fruits of our hard work and other random good things that come our way.

Dreadsox said:

I bust my ass to convince my students that they can achieve anything.

if this is your main principle as a teacher, it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job. now all you have to do is convince yourself.

:up:

Dread, you're smart, you work hard and I'm sure you're a great teacher. I know the feeling of being scared of success. When I got the letter from the history department letting me know that I was getting inducted into the history honor society because I had the grades, etc, etc, I called them up to ask if they were sure they hadn't botched. The pin was not a joke.

Last edited:
I've struggled with that for years now. I think the easiest thing in terms of dealing with this is when you're thrown into a situation, and basically it's sink or swim, and you have nobody to depend on but yourself. Suddenly, you become good, or great at what you're doing and then that bit of confidence starts to seep back in.

I have been handed a golden opportunity......

and everyone around me seems so confident that I would be good at it......

and I want it.....

but I hate having the weight of these expectations on me.....

Just do it, Dread. I was thrown into a position like that this past March and I took it and I was scared out of my bloody mind that I'd be no good at it. The thing I've realized is that oftentimes, the people around you see your potential a lot more clearly and quickly than you do, and all you need is for one of them to believe in you and give you the opportunity. You'll prove yourself, I have no doubt.

Dreadsox, you have touched on a issue that so many are struggling with. When faced with an oppurtunity, our mind becomes filled with self doubt. I hope you go for it !!

Don't let the bastards grind you down.:wink:

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

I feel that way too, I feel like people expect me to be able to do something and when they do it better they look at me as though I've let them down, it also sinks my spirit. But you can only do your best and I'm sure if other people believe in you, you can do it.
Go for your life!

Just do it.

I could tell you a few stories of lawyers who were bored, started to work in the music industry and had immense success. Or Walt Disney; he wouldn´t have built Disneyland if he wouldn´t have believed in it.

Last edited:
I'd go for it! You'll regret it if you don't... And if you tried and you failed (which I'm sure you won't!) at least you have tried. You won't be able to blame yourself for anything...

I suffer from confidence issues these days, as well. I've really just been trying to push through it, though, the best way I can: remaining ambitious, but within reason. I have a general idea where I want to be within 5-10 years, but I have come to a realization that, for better or for worse, I have to work my way up to there. Do I hate it? Of course. I've always felt as if I have a mind that's trapped inside my body; but I guess you just have to keep on trying.

Melon

Dreadsox, you're not the problem. Most people in this world are stupid and you're dealing with them on a daily basis. I know we disagree on alot of things, but you bring out the best in me...or at least you used to (when we had debates at Free Your Mind), so don't give up on trying to change the world.

The confidence issues are what drive you to be the best you can be. You are keeping complacency out of your life.

I take it you have brought this before the Lord and brought this before those who are close to you.

It sounds like all responses are the same.

Go for it!

Dreadsox said:
I have been handed a golden opportunity......

and everyone around me seems so confident that I would be good at it......

and I want it.....

I'm so excited for you! :hug: I feel the same way when having to take on more or do something new. It all works out!

Fifteen months ago, I became a manager again after being on the sidelines for 7 years. I couldn't imagine that responsiblity plus the responsibility of being Mom to my 3 kids. It's normal now.

Thanks everyone!!!!

I went for it...time will tell soon enough.

Dreadsox said:

I went for it

:up:

All life is risk, but the rewards can be so delicious. I have a feeling one is coming your way. :)

I want to thank everyone who encouraged me to go for it.

I have been selected into a program that was only selecting 12 people statewide here in Massachusetts to become a certified principal.

I interviewed Saturday and found out that I was one of the 17 finalists.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement.

Peace

Wonderful news and I wish you the very best of luck. You're a champ! :)

Congrats. You'll be a great principle, as long as you remember what it takes to be a child. I recall that most of my principles were cool in that they could identify with their students. Once I was in high school they seemed to be asses, but elementary and junior high/middle school were ultra-cool (despite what we thought of them at the time).

Be a cool principle.

That's all I ask

Back
Top Bottom