U2 To Sell Five Versions Of New Album - One With Almost $100 List Price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazon.com: No Line On The Horizon [Box Set] [Limited Edition] [CD/Poster/Book/DVD]: U2: Music

This version is a deluxe limited-edition-collectors item: packaged in a special box, album CD in a cardboard folded sleeve w/ 36 page color booklet and fold out poster. Box also includes 60-page hard cover book plus an additional fold-out poster and a DVD of the new film from Anton Corbijn featuring the music of U2 in a slip case cover.

Total of 96 pages booklet, Anton Corbijn "film" (must be long), special box and poster. I think the price will change unless the film is 2 hours long at least. The poster is probably all folded which ruins it. The box may have lots of art on it. I think it's still too early.

The Double LP is interesting since LP's are 30min per side on average and there are two vinyl LPs. A single CD can hold up to 80 min. I think there will be more than 12 tracks.

The Double LP means nothing. Most new vinyl releases are put out on 180gr vinyl, which causes a lot of single CDs to end up being double LPs. For example, this year I bought R.E.M.'s Accelerate, a 35 minute album, on vinyl, and it was 2 LPs. Another from last year by Explosions in the Sky is a 44 minute album and is 2 LPs as well. :shrug:

I can't believe there is actually people moaning about a US$14 price for a U2 record. That's fucking cheap. For something that is going to last virtually forever, it's a great deal. I mean c'mon, it's not like it's a Nickelback record. That mangky shite should be $1.

If you dont wanna pay for music, illegally download it. Problem solved. Dont moan.

:lol:
I can't believe there is actually people moaning about a US$14 price for a U2 record. That's fucking cheap. For something that is going to last virtually forever, it's a great deal. I mean c'mon, it's not like it's a Nickelback record. That mangky shite should be $1.

yeah, just about any single cd released today gets put on two lps. i'm not getting my hopes up.

i preordered the cd and double lps. i'll wait till after everything's released to see if getting any of the bonus stuff is worth it.

If I'm honest, I'll buy the cheapest copy I can find of the basic CD, then I'll find out the general consensus from everyone here on the "deluxe limited-edition-collectors item", and decide whether to splash my cash on that basis. I'll either get a quality boxed set, or laugh at everyone here who's wasted their money on it :lol:.

It's ludicrous!....not because of the 5 versions, or the price...its just that somehow I know I'm going to end up with every single version somehow

$100 for that deluxe box seems kind of crazy to me. There has to be more to it than that description says. That DVD looks really disappointing. An Anton Corbijn film with some u2 music in it? They should put a hi-res stereo and 5.1 multichannel mix of the album in the box for that price. Dvd-audio or SACD. For the price theyre charging they could probably get Steve Hoffman to master it.

Yah I know, if I dont like the price and contents, I dont have to buy it, I know. But that box looks really disappointing. I'm not above paying 100 for a deluxe limited edition box, I just did it with Paul McCartney's new Fireman album. But that box is actually worth it.

I'll probably stick with the plain old CD. Maybe the vinyl if its mastered better. U2's last 2 studio albums have been recorded mixed and mastered so poorly it makes my ears hurt. At least the recent remasters of their old CDs have been handled with a bit of care. Let's hope that carries over to the new release, and we get some actual dynamic range this time.

The Anton Corbijn "film" might be very similar to the documentary on the DVD that came with HTDAAB. The only differences between the NLOTH super deluxe edition and the HTDAAB super deluxe appear to be a poster and an extra booklet. I paid about $40 at Target for the HTDAAB super deluxe version (and I got the regular version there for $10); how can a very similar item cost $95?! This is rediculous and I hope the price goes down before March, or I might not be able to get it (and I really want to). :sad:

anybody else think that the film, features different new u2 songs than those on the album? in other words, we get two sets of new material, as rumored, one album, and one passengers-like soundtrack to the film.

On what basis does everyone assume the HTDAAB and NLOTH content will be similar for the deluxe editions? It's possible, sure, but to assume the DVD contents will be mostly comparable is premature at best. I suppose it would be too much to assume U2 may be offering us a product that is, in fact, worth the price they are charging. If you are so certain that Anton Corbijn's work deserves to be scorned with quotation marks, then by all means avoid it.

If you are so certain that Anton Corbijn's work deserves to be scorned with quotation marks, then by all means avoid it.

If you are referring to me, I was not intending the quotation marks to be scornful. I was just using quotes around the word because I was quoting the word usage of the original article. I did not know that quotation marks denote "scorn" (see, now I'm quoting you).

If you are referring to me, I was not intending the quotation marks to be scornful. I was just using quotes around the word because I was quoting the word usage of the original article. I did not know that quotation marks denote "scorn" (see, now I'm quoting you).

If you are quoting someone else, then that is a certainly a bit different--but quote marks used in that manner are generally intended scornfully.

I blame Radiohead.

Bastards decided that it was reasonable to charge your diehard fans $100 for two CDs and LPs. Fuckers.

Back when "In Rainbows" came out, didn't McGuinness say something about looking carefully at the way it was released? Looks like he found what he liked about it.

No one's complaining about $9.99 or $14 for the CD. And no one's saying that the super-deluxe should be cheaper because we "deserve" it. I think that what folks are complaining about is the question of whether what's in the super-deluxe version can really, honestly be worth one hundred dollars. :ohmy: Sure, one can always make the argument that if someone's willing to pay a price, it's worth that price---and there will certainly be people who pay that much. But seriously. How can a guy make the argument that we can save lives in Africa for pennies a day, and then ask us to spend a hundred times that on something so material? It baffles me. Does anyone really, seriously think that one CD, two small books--probably mainly of pictures--a poster, and a dvd are worth one hundred dollars? Hell, I don't think it's even worth $60, but I'd pay that. One hundred, though...that just sounds wrong. :shrug:

I blame Radiohead.

Bastards decided that it was reasonable to charge your diehard fans $100 for two CDs and LPs. Fuckers.

Back when "In Rainbows" came out, didn't McGuinness say something about looking carefully at the way it was released? Looks like he found what he liked about it.

No one's complaining about $9.99 or $14 for the CD. And no one's saying that the super-deluxe should be cheaper because we "deserve" it. I think that what folks are complaining about is the question of whether what's in the super-deluxe version can really, honestly be worth one hundred dollars. :ohmy: Sure, one can always make the argument that if someone's willing to pay a price, it's worth that price---and there will certainly be people who pay that much. But seriously. How can a guy make the argument that we can save lives in Africa for pennies a day, and then ask us to spend a hundred times that on something so material? It baffles me. Does anyone really, seriously think that one CD, two small books--probably mainly of pictures--a poster, and a dvd are worth one hundred dollars? Hell, I don't think it's even worth $60, but I'd pay that. One hundred, though...that just sounds wrong. :shrug:

Agree with everything you said.

As it's described so far, I could see a list price of around $50. I'd pay 40 something for it.

Maybe theres more to it than we think. If not it stinks of greed and abuse of the hardcore fan base.

:lmao:

I'm just getting the CD. Let's call it the Recession Special.

my analogy:
say you're offered a limo ride for a hundred bucks. then your offered a city transit bus ride to go to the same far off distant place for two bucks.

what would you rather spend that money on and what would you rather feel good about at the end of the day?

:D

No, it's expensive.

It's fucking ridiculous actually but I didn't want to start the argument.

No one is forcing anyone to buy the $99 version. If you feel it's too much you simply don't have to buy it.

I think it's great that there are various options. If you want just the album, it's a mere 9.99 for pre-order on amazon. If you want one or more of the collectors versions... they are there.

If they only put out the collector's version at $99, I could see some being upset. But if they only put out the single CD $9.99 version many would say "why no special edition like other bands..."

Should it be damned if they do and damned if they don't? Like I said, I think offering options is good. Can't afford or want to pay for the box version... the softcover magazine version is cheaper... Options. Yep, options sound fan friendly to me.

Again, hasn't Amazon been wrong about prices (Joshua Tree box set?) Can we at least relax on jumping on the Fuck you U2 wagon?

First of all, the prices WILL drop....it's not U2 that is abusing their hardcore fanbase, it's Amazon

But assuming that the prices won't drop....if you're a hardcore fan you probably will be happy buying the box-set...and if you're happy, and as long as you're happy, any price is worth. But if you're a hardcore fan that doesn't feel happy about buying something that expensive (There's nothing wrong in prefer money over U2, so stop saying that hardcore fans will be happy no matter the price. And maybe the boxset ACTUALLY does not worth all that money.) then just don't buy it. The important is that you'll feel happy about what you're doing.
Those $100 won't buy you U2's new album box set, they will buy something that makes you happy. And that's what matters

No, it's expensive.

It's fucking ridiculous actually but I didn't want to start the argument.

No one is forcing anyone to buy the $99 version. If you feel it's too much you simply don't have to buy it.

I think it's great that there are various options. If you want just the album, it's a mere 9.99 for pre-order on amazon. If you want one or more of the collectors versions... they are there.

If they only put out the collector's version at $99, I could see some being upset. But if they only put out the single CD $9.99 version many would say "why no special edition like other bands..."

Should it be damned if they do and damned if they don't? Like I said, I think offering options is good. Can't afford or want to pay for the box version... the softcover magazine version is cheaper... Options. Yep, options sound fan friendly to me.

I have access to the the Universal B2B (business to business) site, and there's nothing posted there yet. Way too soon for info there.

\random

The Double LP means nothing. Most new vinyl releases are put out on 180gr vinyl, which causes a lot of single CDs to end up being double LPs. For example, this year I bought R.E.M.'s Accelerate, a 35 minute album, on vinyl, and it was 2 LPs. Another from last year by Explosions in the Sky is a 44 minute album and is 2 LPs as well. :shrug:

yeah, just about any single cd released today gets put on two lps. i'm not getting my hopes up.

the remastered albums were released as single LPs... I think :hmm:

Good to see the bitching still going on.

People act as if someone puts a gun to their head and forces them to buy the boxset.

I haven't ordered anything and I will buy only the CD first and then wait and see.

Let's talk again in March when the prizes have dropped. :up:

Sometimes I reckon U2 fans just whinge for the hell of it.

Audio CD ($13.98 list price) = Nissan
Digi-pack version - CD/Poster/Film Download ($35.98) = Lexus
Magazine version - CD/Magazine/Film Download ($49.98) = BMW
Box Set version - CD/Poster/Book/DVD ($95.98) = Ferrari

It's call CHOICE!! Like your car, buy the one you feel happy about and get on with life for f#@$ sake. But don't ask the manufacturers to deprive those who can afford the Ferrari just because you can only afford a Nissan.

Back
Top Bottom