SOE FAN + industry reviews only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time has a lot to do on how we judge the art of music. Food is meant to be eaten and enjoyed in the moment. So if you have a good plate you will enjoy it right away based on the taste, texture etc etc. You can’t possibly come back 5 years later and say you know I hated that dinner I had five years ago but now come to think about it I enjoyed it. Either your taste buds enjoy it or not. Music needs time to digest and repeated listens. On first listen you may miss certain elements or you may not understand the lyrics so you can’t relate to it. This is why some albums are “growers” you begin to “get” them over many listens. The same can be said about easily accessible albums, you may get them and enjoy them at first but over repeated listens you may find it actually bores you. Do you see any “classic” albums in the present day? When we think of classic and important albums, you are thinking of albums that are 10,20,30 or even 40 or more years old. An example that has been demonstrated here is achtung baby, AB when it came out, many people thought u2 lost their minds, yet now it is regarded as one of the most important albums of the 90’s if not ever. This is what I mean by the test of time. If say SOE is regarded as a masterpeice in 20 years from now (ie an album both fans, casual fans and even non u2 fans) still remember and talk about, one can safely say the album was good. There are albums that are loved when they first come out and are never remembered again 20 years later. Anyway comparing music to food is like comparing apples to oranges. One is meant to be enjoyed in the moment while one is meant (if it’s good) to last dacades.

A Digest of Your Points

1) Time affects how we judge music but not food, which is only enjoyed temporarily and has no longevity.

2) Food is either outrightly enjoyed or not, in the moment; reflection and analysis play no great part in the judgement of good.

3) Some albums are growers while others are not; the albums that are growers will be misjudged in the moment of consumption (see: Achtung Baby)

4) There are no classic albums in the present day.

5) Comparing music to food is like comparing apples to oranges.

6) The pleasure of food is temporal while the pleasure of music can span over decades and multiple eras.

In fact, I'd say, Chuck Hughes current menu is more complex than Songs of Innocence, and much more enjoyable too boot.

Chuck Hughes is brilliant and pretentious. He's Rattle and Hum
Songs of Innocence is safe and simple. It's Jamie Oliver

A Digest of Your Points

1) Time affects how we judge music but not food, which is only enjoyed temporarily and has no longevity.

2) Food is either outrightly enjoyed or not, in the moment; reflection and analysis play no great part in the judgement of good.

3) Some albums are growers while others are not; the albums that are growers will be misjudged in the moment of consumption (see: Achtung Baby)

4) There are no classic albums in the present day.

5) Comparing music to food is like comparing apples to oranges.

6) The pleasure of food is temporal while the pleasure of music can span over decades and multiple eras.

Quick Rejoinder

1) Food recipes, looked at as the literature of gastronomy, have a longer history than music. One can read over a recipe and taste the ingredients in ones mouth as once appreciated.

2) Foods tasted by immature tastebuds can misunderstand a meal, just as readily as ears can misapprehend a body of music; secondly, reflection has an plays an equal in sensing, whether it an object sensed via the ear or via the mouth.

3) A grower is not a recognized category in formal musical criticism, but conversely is a widely understood agricultural term. However, it does take time for one to come to his or her senses, meaning, it is the mind that takes time, not the ear. The ear cannot reflect on what it hears.

4) There are many great present day albums that will be considered classics. Although the science of said process is not an agreed upon science, or process.

5) Comparing music to food is comparing one art to another. Apples and oranges are a fruit, thus a subcategory of food. This is soggy logic. Soggy like a mixed metaphor.

6) There is no evidence that music can produce a deeper hold on memory than food. A moot point due to lack of study and plenty of conjecture.

The food analogy is ridiculous. If you were never allowed to listen to the music again, and had to keep opinions based on memories, then MAYBE it would be a valid point.

If you are claiming it is a meal you can replicate and eat repeatedly because it is a favourite, I think this runs counter to your argument, because I don’t enjoy some of the things I used to cook repeatedly - Mee goreng noodles from a packet were all the rage at uni - haven’t had them in years, and really don’t want to.

The planetary origin of your logic has not been discovered yet, but there is hope in interstellar travel.

Quick Rejoinder

1) Food recipes, looked at as the literature of gastronomy, have a longer history than music. One can read over a recipe and taste the ingredients in ones mouth as once appreciated.

2) Foods tasted by immature tastebuds can misunderstand a meal, just as readily as ears can misapprehend a body of music; secondly, reflection has an plays an equal in sensing, whether it an object sensed via the ear or via the mouth.

3) A grower is not a recognized category in formal musical criticism, but conversely is a widely understood agricultural term. However, it does take time for one to come to his or her senses, meaning, it is the mind that takes time, not the ear. The ear cannot reflect on what it hears.

4) There are many great present day albums that will be considered classics. Although the science of said process is not an agreed upon science, or process.

5) Comparing music to food is comparing one art to another. Apples and oranges are a fruit, thus a subcategory of food. This is soggy logic. Soggy like a mixed metaphor.

6) There is no evidence that music can produce a deeper hold on memory than food. A moot point due to lack of study and plenty of conjecture.

Somehow, some way, you were able to dig an even bigger hole for yourself.

To the extent anyone can completely lose an argument, you've done it. Stop embarrassing yourself

So what you are saying is the thread started like the first 3 songs on NLOTH and at the moment we are somewhere between Boots and Stand Up Comedy and you’re hoping to hit Breathe soon....something tells me we are closer to hitting Miami though :)[/QUOTE

Not even Miami level, but My Mammy level

So I wonder when the floodgates will open for profesional reviews. I know we’ve got the major players giving the album scores etc but we have yet to get track by track reviews from these magazines etc. I can only imagine the embargo should be lifted any minute now since there is practically a week and a couple days left till release. I would have thought by now we would have had a lot of professional track by track reviews. Been looking now and can’t seem to find much that hasn’t already been posted here.

We need someone to do a professional review of this thread

Review
Review
Some reactions to review
Review
Everything cool
New guy
Tries TOO hard
Actually fucking quotes himself
Machine destroys thread

Decent thread, but amateur debut posters ruin it by trying to make it something it’s not.

Half a star

Why bother, all music is subjective.
Have your own opinion, don't bother trying to change anyone else's.

No offense...you are probably speaking sarcastically...but I f//cking HATE this argument. All of Music really ISN'T all subjective in the grand scheme of things. My 6 year old grabbing a guitar and banging on some strings while drooling on the others is in no way akin to Jimmy Page grabbing his guitar and banging on some strings. I might find my son cuter and more engaging than Page's playing, but in no place in this galaxy or universe are we actually confirming that MY subjective opinion that my son's guitar playing is remotely anywhere better than Page's is correct. C'mon...enough of this lazy argument. If we can't come to some measure of good and bad music then we should f//ckin just stab our ears with flaming spears .

Review
Review
Some reactions to review
Review
Everything cool
New guy
Tries TOO hard
Machine destroys thread

Decent thread, but amateur debut posters ruin it by trying to make it something it’s not.

Half a star
Decent review. Concise, accurate, infused with a little humour. Would have benefited from some rhyming names. Not bad for a debut. 2 stars.

So I wonder when the floodgates will open for profesional reviews. I know we’ve got the major players giving the album scores etc but we have yet to get track by track reviews from these magazines etc. I can only imagine the embargo should be lifted any minute now since there is practically a week and a couple days left till release. I would have thought by now we would have had a lot of professional track by track reviews. Been looking now and can’t seem to find much that hasn’t already been posted here.
If you listened to that Irish radio review, they said that they were on lockdown until today (November 22), so I assume we'll be getting them in the days leading up to SoE or on the day of.

Review
Review
Some reactions to review
Review
Everything cool
New guy
Tries TOO hard
Machine destroys thread

Half a star

You forgot to mention the Songs of Innocence release, which should be included even in a review of a SOE review thread.

So here is what I can recall from before this thread became a train wreck about food....I think....

Uncut: 6/10
Q: 8/10
Mojo: 8/10
LA Weekly Music Editor: Very Positive (pleasantly amazed at how good)
Irish Examiner: Very Positive (no score given but I would say 8/10)
Online Danish review (translation needed): very negative
Today FM: 7/10 (woman stated 3 or 3.5 out of 5...I think)
Eric Lalor(comedian/actor):very positive
Noel Gallagher: positive (loves the Showman)
Olaf Tyaransen(pro reviewer?): very positive (said it was fabulous)
Random Abby Road listener: Very Positive (said Album was sooooo good)
Random Abby Road listener(Lin Willis): very positive (said Album was great, called out 13 as their favorite)

Last edited:
So here is what I can recall from before this thread became a train wreck about food....I think....

Uncut: 6/10
Q: 8/10
Mojo: 8/10
LA Weekly Music Editor: Very Positive (pleasantly amazed at how good)
Irish Examiner: Very Positive (no score given but I would say 8/10)
Online review (translation needed): very negative
Today FM: 7/10 (woman stated 3 or 3.5 out of 5...I think)
Eric Lalor(comedian/actor):very positive
Noel Gallagher: positive (loves the Showman)
Olaf Tyaransen(pro reviewer?): very positive (said it was fabulous)
Random Abby Road listener: Very Positive (said Album was sooooo good)
Random Abby Road listener(Lin Willis): very positive (said Album was great, called out 13 as their favorite)

Thank you Cosmo!

I'm actually surprised not much has come out even a week before release.

More from Saul on Ordinary Love New Mix:

Speaking of overlooked, I wanted to mention the new mix of Ordinary Love again.

On the original you're waiting 25 seconds for any vocals and 70+s for the drums to kick in. Now, thankfully, the song gets going much quicker.

I enjoy slow buildups but U2 can overdo it sometimes.

The piano that dominated the original is gone and now Larry and Adam carry the song forward. It could be essentially the same groove as before, but it was so buried I couldn't get a feel for it. Here, Edge echos Adam's baseline in parts and the simplicity really helps.

Addition by subtraction.

Edge's guitar parts from the original remain and the freer space lets them breathe.

I'm not sure if they increased the tempo as well - or it just seems that way. But I was very surprised to see that the new mix is actually longer than the original.

Last edited:
I am in the minority in loving Ordinary Love so very excited to hear this new mix. I think it’s an under appreciated song.

Simple addition to food lovers on this forum :

Any food, how tasty they may be, will bore you to death if consumed repeatedly.
Thank you all.

Review
Review
Some reactions to review
Review
Everything cool
New guy
Tries TOO hard
Machine destroys thread

Half a star

This was amazing! Definitely a C+.

Quick Rejoinder

I may be wrong, but are you a chef, Jeff?

But even so, music ain't food, Jude.

C'mon...enough of this lazy argument. If we can't come to some measure of good and bad music then we should f//ckin just stab our ears with flaming spears .

OK . . . lets put that in the maybe pile.

I like 90% of what U2 put out but I'm a fan.
My wife hates them but thought EBW with the strings on the BBC was outstanding.
Occasionally they still put out a track that can break the hardest of hearts.
We've to remember as fans that these will be the tracks talked about in 50 years time.
We can argue amongst ourselves that The Troubles should have been a single & it's outro should have been longer but that's 2 bald men fighting over a comb to the real world.

https://stack.com.au/music/album-review/u2-songs-experience-review/

On Songs Of Experience U2 daub colour across an ever-unrolling canvas, pausing occasionally to give sections more detail and using The Edge’s signature guitar tone sparingly.

Opener Love Is All We Have Left offers a sweet, whirring bonhomie something like Owl City’s Fireflies with little electronic mumblings bobbing up through the layers, and its dual vocalists – Automaton Bono and Human Bono – eventually come together to sing in unison in a neat, symbolic return to home base. Two cuts in the middle of the tracklist, Red Flag Day and The Showman (Little More Better), reveal the band’s freshest ideas – on the former they reclaim some of that syncopated Sunday Bloody Sunday rhythm and chutzpah, and the latter has a jaunty Bernard Fanning/Beach Boys feel with acoustic guitar and a super cute chorus. It’s these moments that are most successful – when you feel as if, inbetween hollering across the globe, they’ve still got something to say directly into your ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom