With or Without You

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aerofan169

Babyface
Hey guys,

I was looking for interpretations on "With Or Without You." I actually LOVE the song, but have no idea what to think of the lyrics, if that's possible! With or Without you as in, he wants to be with somebody, yet...I don't know! What do the lyrics to this song mean?

I bet the answer is right in front of me, I'm just reading too much into them.

Thanks for clarifying this song for me!

Aerofan

it's about the impossibility of going on with a tough love affair, where the lovers seem not to be able to carry on with what they have.
it's about love, of course, and about the difficulties that go with that.

i think wowy is the most underrated song among die hard fans. i go through phases where i have different favorite u2 songs ... but i truly think it is one of the most perfect songs ever written. and i also think the rattle and hum live version is the best live performance of any song ever. it has taken me many, many years where my favorite u2 songs have ranged from sbs to stay but now that i look back ... wowy is the string that holds everything together.

love the song, one of my all time favs... honestly it has changed for me through the years. its gone from being a yearning for a relationship with someone you know you cant to being about God.

This song says so much --- the yearning for someone you cant have; the pain of loving someone you hate; the confusion you feel when youa re so mad at someone you love to death....
"i cant live with or without you" :: with you i am (insert negative emotion) but without you i am (insert negative feeling)....
This has been my unwavering favorite of all u2's song.... BEAUTIFUL.

wowy article I wrote

Here is a copy of an article I wrote, analyzing the best song ever :)

Critical Flashback: U2 “With Or Without You”
Finding God’s Heart

By Sean Kirkland

In anticipation of U2’s upcoming new release, my wife and I recently watched a DVD of U2’s concert at Slane Castle. I was moved once again by U2’s masterpiece, “With Or Without You.” I shared with her my thoughts about this particular song and the reflections I’ve had about the possible meaning behind it all.

Seeing as how I have a history with this music, it’s only natural that I should’ve turned the meaning over and over in my mind; I used to listen to this song at least once a day in high school. Truly, this song is haunting and begs to be an object of fascination. The slow build of pace, as each verse gains momentum, is brilliant. The Edge’s guitar has a mournful tone at first, but once it kicks into the familiar riff, it gains a melancholy power that pierces the heart. There is such longing in the music of this song.

Back in the day when I first became hip to this wonderful tune, I was captured by the music itself and drawn back for listen upon repeated listen. Especially with headphones, the full effect of the amazing mix and production is evident. However, upon closer inspection, I realized that the lyrics were a mystery. That was part of the draw; you couldn’t quite put your finger on what Bono was getting at. I looked into all the quotes I could find from band members, producers, critics, etc. Not much on this song, to my surprise. I did find one quote that gave me a clue. Adam Clayton, the band’s bassist, said that the song is an unlikely one to hear on mainstream radio. “Maybe in a church,” he said.

So, from there, my conclusions were made about the meaning of this song. Knowing that much of U2’s lyrical content has a basis in Christianity (three of the band’s members were involved in a Christian fellowship in Ireland), I believe this song is sung from God’s point-of-view. Much of the song is about God seeing our existential pain, due to sin, and his pain at our separation. Since He’s given us free will, his “hands are tied” (to a degree), and his “body’s bruised” (Jesus on the cross). “And you give yourself away,” is a reference to the tragic fact that we keep giving our passions away to lesser gods. God mourns over our wrong choices and knows that relationship with Himself is the ultimate answer to our longing. “See the thorn twist in your side,” is a reference to the apostle Paul’s mysterious stumbling block. Once again, it’s God seeing us suffer. So, what does He do about it?

Bono builds to a cathartic yell that tops all lists of emotional releases in modern rock; this embodies the wound in God’s heart at our dilemma. He knows that He can’t live with us (because He is holy, and our sin separates us from Him), but His love for us is so great that He cannot live without us. Jesus is the answer. God sent Him to take the sin away and restore us to right relationship. However, this is not a cheery resolution. The giving of His “only begotten Son” was not easy for God the Father. Their relationship was so intimate, perfect, and full of love that it was painful for a Daddy to do that. But, the heart of God is SO for that “one lost sheep” that He is willing to do the unimaginable and give His precious Son for a sacrifice. The deep sadness in this song imagines the emotional atmosphere of God’s heart during this tearing choice.

But for all the sad talk, this song is amazingly uplifting for me to hear. After coming to this personal interpretation, I believe it’s what Bono intended, of course (ha!). Who knows? I do think it’s close to the truth, though. And if it turns out that one day I get to sit down with Bono and ask him myself, finding out that the song means something entirely different, I would still believe the Lord spoke to me through this song and revealed a little more about His heart for us.

Back
Top Bottom