rose bowl dvd....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm annoyed that the 'Super Deluxe' version uses the old (DVD) technology. Why can't they do a 'Super Deluxe' Blu Ray version? The only answer I'm seeing is that they hope die-hard fans will buy both. And that leaves me feeling a bit used and ain't nice :|

I'm annoyed that the 'Super Deluxe' version uses the old technology. Why can't they do a 'Super Deluxe' Blu Ray version? The only answer I'm seeing is that they hope die-hard fans will buy both. And that ain't nice :|

Seems many of the releases of kiddies movies, the deluxe has both. So there is one for home Blu-Ray home theater and one for the SUV DVD player to keep the kiddies busy while on long drives.

No reason that can't be the same for SUPER Deluxe version for the Pasadena DVD.

Lardence, anything you can do about that? :D

Seems many of the releases of kiddies movies, the deluxe has both. So there is one for home Blu-Ray home theater and one for the SUV DVD player to keep the kiddies busy while on long drives.

No reason that can't be the same for SUPER Deluxe version for the Pasadena DVD.

Lardence, anything you can do about that? :D

Now that would make sense and I would take it all back - but why the heck don't they say so in their press release - talk about shooting yourself in the foot if that is the case!

holy cow, I'm sure I can see myself... i was wearing a red top hat that night and waving it around at various times during the show!!!!! If you look just to the left of bono/center stage and between two front speakers/prompters/whatevertheyare, you will see a red top hat :D

see look
CIMG0057.jpg

:D

I just made this screencap from the preview... I think I see you ;)

rosebowlcap1.jpg

Brilliant news. The trailer on U2.com looks really good. It was kind of predictable Breathe wouldnt make it as the opener on the DVD. Nearly every DVD the band has released, its always started with a high tempo opener, and Breathe just isnt that. Plus, the first 3 songs(Breathe, GOYB, Magnificent) might of been a bit unknown to the average u2 fan, so that could put them off straight away. From the trailer, looks like some colouring has been added to the dvd to spice it up, and the overall stage lightening has been brightened. Lets just hope the sound contains a really clean loud recording of the band/croud aswell.

Am I the only one who's glad they didn't make the super duper deluxe be blu-ray. Not everyone has a blu-ray player, but you can bet that everyone has a dvd player... ? Of course, I'm going to have to get a blu-ray player now because I'm intrigued by this 'continually updated' live video thing :drool:

I'm annoyed that the 'Super Deluxe' version uses the old (DVD) technology. Why can't they do a 'Super Deluxe' Blu Ray version? The only answer I'm seeing is that they hope die-hard fans will buy both. And that leaves me feeling a bit used and ain't nice :|

Because the majority of the people don't care about Blu Ray yet and have an 'old' dvd player?

Because the majority of the people don't care about Blu Ray yet and have an 'old' dvd player?

Yeah maybe but they could at least have a Blu Ray option for the Super Deluxe set. To make the posh option available on yesterday's technology only is a bit lame... unless your point about majority not having Blu Ray yet means there just would not be enough demand?

Yeah maybe but they could at least have a Blu Ray option for the Super Deluxe set. To make the posh option available on yesterday's technology only is a bit lame... unless your point about majority not having Blu Ray yet means there just would not be enough demand?

I think it's slightly early to be calling DVD "yesterday's technology", it's at a transitional period, so the demand isn't going to be as high.

But U2.com has announced that the Blu Ray owners will have access to downloads throughout the year from the tour :shrug:

I think it's slightly early to be calling DVD "yesterday's technology", it's at a transitional period, so the demand isn't going to be as high.

But U2.com has announced that the Blu Ray owners will have access to downloads throughout the year from the tour :shrug:

According to Home Media Magazine, Blu-ray sales continue to climb while DVD sales continue to slide. Consumers spent $20.96 million on Blu-rays the week ending February 28, 2010, up 76.89 percent from last year. Meanwhile, consumers spent $137.44 million on DVDs last week, down 26.34 percent from last year. Total packaged media sales are down 20.17 percent from the same week last year, however.

And now that Blu Ray players can be bought for as little as $60 DVD really can't have all that much longer left. I certainly won't be buying any DVDs.

Is that globally speaking? Cause here DVD sales are still WAY more than Blu Ray, most stuff isn't even available in Blu Ray yet simply because we're too cheap to buy Blu Ray players. :wink:

I reckon that once Blu Ray has completely out weighed DVD, everything will be available in that format. But in '99 the DVD already existed, yet the best of was out on videotape eh? This is the same thing.. it'll take some time.

According to Home Media Magazine, Blu-ray sales continue to climb while DVD sales continue to slide. Consumers spent $20.96 million on Blu-rays the week ending February 28, 2010, up 76.89 percent from last year. Meanwhile, consumers spent $137.44 million on DVDs last week, down 26.34 percent from last year. Total packaged media sales are down 20.17 percent from the same week last year, however.

And now that Blu Ray players can be bought for as little as $60 DVD really can't have all that much longer left. I certainly won't be buying any DVDs.

I think you're missing the point. People still have DVD players, a big majority of households, be it on their TV or computer. The majority of releases and rentals are still DVD. Yes it's on it's way out, but it's not quite yesterday's technology.

But DVD sales outweigh Blu-Ray sales by 6.5:1, based on the figures in your post. And there is backward compatibility with Blu-Rays and DVDs (in that Blu-Ray players also play DVDs).

The cynic in me: they needed something big to market the higher priced special editions, so take out the opener, which is also a fan favorite, and there you go.

If they needed hardcore bait they could have gone with Electrical Storm, Blue Room, Stay, NYD, Drowning Man videos from earler in the tour.

I think they needed to dump a song from the regular DVD to keep the PCM lossless audio. Same thing as Boston.

Every single last non-Rose bowl show was filmed, well enough to be broadcast.

Sorta true, including all the raw footage. I don't think they have full stage coverage in their archive of EVERY show from the past several tours.

In other words, like the Sweden and Berlin 2009 news feeds, they have closeups but are missing the audience perspective. Plus, lighting changes are usually done for formal DVD concert shoots to make the audience visible rather than pitch black.

I think they do throw up a couple extra cameras at a couple venues without telling anybody for their own use. For instance the first couple Elevation shows had a couple extra cameras so they could send out some good looking live shots for media use and EPKs. Toronto 2001 had a ocuple extra camera so MUCHMUSIC could show incomplete live footage totalling several minutes.

But DVD sales outweigh Blu-Ray sales by 6.5:1, based on the figures in your post. And there is backward compatibility with Blu-Rays and DVDs (in that Blu-Ray players also play DVDs).

Blu-Rays aren't going to "replace" DVDs the way everyone thinks they will, anyway. Whether its DVD or Blu-Ray, the physical format is dying and it won't be long now before the majority of video content is downloaded, just like most music is now. I'm not happy about it but that's what's happening. It's a bit strange that people keep talking about Blu-Ray as "the next big thing" when it's really just a dying physical format.

This is so true. Funny how people don't or want to believe this.

Well, it's not true for one.

We sell components into the streaming and blu-ray markets, not only is the Blu-Ray market a significantly higher percentage TODAY, it's actually forecasted to grow at a higher rate for at least the next 18 months.

After that, there is no visibility.

With X-box live running in many homes, people downloading files and multiple computers running, there's a bandwidth squeeze already going on.

It's going to be at least 2 years before live streaming even gets close to where Blu-Ray is today.

Well, it's not true for one.
It's going to be at least 2 years before live streaming even gets close to where Blu-Ray is today.

Which means Blu-Rays were the "format of choice" for roughly 2-4 years before becoming obsolete. DVDs were around for a lot longer than that.

Which means Blu-Rays were the "format of choice" for roughly 2-4 years before becoming obsolete. DVDs were around for a lot longer than that.

Apparently you missed the part where I said Blu-Ray was still growing.

In 2-4 years Blu-Ray will become and then still be the de facto standard for home theater AND PC use for who knows how long, pretty much the opposite of obsolete !

Streaming and Blu-Ray will co-exist peacefully, one will not replace the other. The main market which will be threatened by Streaming video will be the rental market, some of which are already adapting by embracing rather than fighting the advent of streaming. Netflix for one.

We sell components into the streaming and blu-ray markets, not only is the Blu-Ray market a significantly higher percentage TODAY, it's actually forecasted to grow at a higher rate for at least the next 18 months.

With X-box live running in many homes, people downloading files and multiple computers running, there's a bandwidth squeeze already going on.

Wasn't Blu-ray the fastest acceptance of any entertainment medium?

The streaming thing will be curious in the future. Bandwidth problems, I read a reference to someplaces legally thinking of limiting how much p0rn you can download in one day. Complaints of rights infringement aside, adult material accounts for some huge percentage of bandwidth space, especially at night when people just let their computer run downloading.

Apparently you missed the part where I said Blu-Ray was still growing.

In 2-4 years Blu-Ray will become and then still be the de facto standard for home theater AND PC use for who knows how long, pretty much the opposite of obsolete !

Streaming and Blu-Ray will co-exist peacefully, one will not replace the other. The main market which will be threatened by Streaming video will be the rental market, some of which are already adapting by embracing rather than fighting the advent of streaming. Netflix for one.

DVD sales started dropping BEFORE Blu-Rays were even introduced, and most attribute that to the emergence of downloading and video on demand. What makes Blu-Ray immune to this same phenomenon? Bandwidth is not a significant issue at this point.

You're right, though... Blu-Ray will not be totally "obsolete" in two years. But it WILL start experiencing a slow and painful death, just like CDs are now in the music business.

And make no mistake, I'm not happy about this. I love having a physical product and I am genuinely sad that iTunes and illegal downloads are crushing the CD market. But it seems inevitable at this point that the trend will continue, and the home video market is next...

What's on the 7" vinyl that comes with the sooperdooperdeluxe-two-whole-dvd-discs-box-set?

If it's U2, if it's vinyl... I need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom