Your least favourite song on NLOTH now that the album is sinking in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

agreed. i absolutely love GOYB now.

me too. fun riff, groovy chorus, awesome breakdown which is really unlike anything U2 has ever done. I love the extended version too with the longer intro, I wish they put that version on the album not that it matters too much. I think maybe when time passes people will appreciate Boots more, but if they don't, oh well. I really liked the song at first and it went up in my opinion after I had heard the album- which I figured it would go down in my eyes a bit for me, but it was the opposite as time has set in. I also think it will kick ass in a stadium too.

If I had to pick a song I'd say White as snow, it's odd to see an acoustic song in the two rocking songs preceding it and Breathe. Kind of like A man and a woman on Bomb except it works better in this context and is a better song.
Perhaps if they had moved up Breathe on the 5th spot on the tracklist and had FEZ-White as snow-Cedars close...

i'm surprised so many people rank White As Snow so low. Does every song have to be an anthem? I think it's one of the best on the album. Same for MOS and UC.

Least fave: SUC, i listened to it the other day, it has moments in it that are pretty good, like that part where Edge drills his guitar and makes a Tool-like scraping noise, but then that moment of awesomeness is immediately deflated once Bono comes in with "Souuuul ROCK-ING PEO-PLE!!". If the song were an instrumental it actually wouldn't be half-bad.

2nd Least Fave: Toss-up between Breathe and Crazy Tonight. I'll guess i'll just say they tie for being 2 songs i tolerate, enjoy on a very small level, but ultimately fail to impress me.

It's not a terrible song. It's well done, for the most part. I guess going back and reading the lyrics, they aren't that bad, except for this part:

"The stone was semi-precious
We were barely conscious
Two souls too smart to be
In the realm of certainty
Even on our wedding day"

Wow! I completely disagree. Those lyrics are stunning... just like the rest of the song! One of their best songs ever in my opinion. Didn't think they had it in them this late in the game.

As for least fav, it is hard for me to name one because I don't hate any of the songs. Love them all. What an impressive album this late in their career! :heart:

Least fave: SUC, i listened to it the other day, it has moments in it that are pretty good, like that part where Edge drills his guitar and makes a Tool-like scraping noise, but then that moment of awesomeness is immediately deflated once Bono comes in with "Souuuul ROCK-ING PEO-PLE!!". If the song were an instrumental it actually wouldn't be half-bad.

My least favourite moment on the album. Instead of "soul rocking people" part, Edge could have easily played a solo. I hope he does it live.

i can see people disliking Boots even though I dare to say I love the song for what it is, a fun rocker with a semi serious tone snuck in there, but really, their worst song? I really don't think that (dis)honor can go to anything other than a song or two on their first three albums. i don't think any song produced after War could be considered their worst song, not by a longshot.

meh.. for me it's so bad I can't even listen to it. and really can't say that about that many U2 songs.. but hey that's just me

me too. fun riff, groovy chorus, awesome breakdown which is really unlike anything U2 has ever done. I love the extended version too with the longer intro, I wish they put that version on the album not that it matters too much. I think maybe when time passes people will appreciate Boots more, but if they don't, oh well. I really liked the song at first and it went up in my opinion after I had heard the album- which I figured it would go down in my eyes a bit for me, but it was the opposite as time has set in. I also think it will kick ass in a stadium too.

:up:

i think the fact that it was the lead off single is still holding people back from enjoying the song. all of U2's albums have fun rockers. personally, when i match GOYB up against Elevation or Vertigo, i find GOYB so much more interesting and enjoyable.

My least favourite moment on the album. Instead of "soul rocking people" part, Edge could have easily played a solo. I hope he does it live.

i actually find the "Soul rocking people" part to be Bono's best vocal moment of the song.

SUC by a lot. My least favorite U2 song in the last 10 years. (Not counting the terrible cover w/ green day- i just pretend that didn't happen)

SUC by a lot. My least favorite U2 song in the last 10 years. (Not counting the terrible cover w/ green day- i just pretend that didn't happen)

i still rank SUC way above Crumbs, ABOY, POE, and Wild Honey.

Wow! I completely disagree. Those lyrics are stunning... just like the rest of the song! One of their best songs ever in my opinion. Didn't think they had it in them this late in the game.

As for least fav, it is hard for me to name one because I don't hate any of the songs. Love them all. What an impressive album this late in their career! :heart:

Zoots! :hi5: long time no see.

There isn't a song that I really dislike in this album, if forced to say one I would say Fez-Being Born, I know it's a good song, it's experimental I acknowledge it and I can understand the concept there, it's only I can't feel it, it's something like an intellectual exercise for me, I never skip it, but sometimes I forget I'm listening to music when it's played. :reject:

There isn't a song that I really dislike in this album, if forced to say one I would say Fez-Being Born, I know it's a good song, it's experimental I acknowledge it and I can understand the concept there, it's only I can't feel it, it's something like an intellectual exercise for me, I never skip it, but sometimes I forget I'm listening to music when it's played. :reject:

:angry:

there are days I prefer SUC to Fez-BB exactly for this reason :up:

Proud to say I like every song on the album, even Boots, and Crazy Tonight has been growing on me, though I still don't really "get" it, so I'd say this is my least favourite song.

:ohmy:

Hi!

For me, it's White as Snow. I don't hate it, I don't even dislike it, it's just...meh to me. I keep waiting for it to finally resonate with me, but it hasn't yet.

I really care too much for Stand Up, but it certainly doesn't make me cringe. I can play the whole album and not have a cringe moment. No wonder the album ranks high for me.

The big problem I have with MOS is the missed opportunity for the Edge. When the song kicks in I keep hearing this melody in my head similar to "Van Diemans Land" but fitting the tempo of the song.

Stand Up Comedy. It annoys me, but it's still not as bad as almost all of Bomb.

When i first heard the album i though it was crap to be honest (magnificent and boots being exceptions), but now i love it. I just cant get into white as snow though, it just doesnt do anything for me. Saying that i used to think the same about MOS and Cedars, but i love them both now

Zooooooooooots!

Good to have you back, man. You've been missed. And we need your input over in the R.E.M. Survivor we've got goin on in B&C.

When i first heard the album i though it was crap to be honest (magnificent and boots being exceptions), but now i love it. I just cant get into white as snow though, it just doesnt do anything for me. Saying that i used to think the same about MOS and Cedars, but i love them both now

White As Snow is kind of like Stateless, where it doesn't hit you at first, it may not even hit you months later, but then one day you :drool:

So basically, the only songs that weren't singled out as worst by anyone are the title track and Magnificent.

Interesting.

I feel like the last two albums didn't have such divisive songs throughout, I can't imagine 9 of 11 of those all being considered worst by someone.

Stand Up Comedy's the worst, though Unknown Caller gets the award for Most Blown Potential. And Worst Running Theme is that every solo is completely underwhelming, most notably on Magnificent and Stand Up Comedy.

Also, Magnificent is the most overrated. The intro and chorus are good, but the verses are kind of dull (mostly because the lyrics are bad) and the solo sucks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom