Year-end "Rank the U2 albums" after SOI honeymoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't be prejudiced against non-native English speakers! :wink:

Yep, it is widely considered as an album between their awesome debut and their first break through album - War. It is considered to be unfinished, not worthy for paying more attention. But it´s full of wonderfull ideas, it sounds more consistent than collection of singles from the early times on Boy and much less forced than War. It is a unique and beautiful album.

Prejudice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prejudice is prejudgment, or forming an opinion before becoming aware of the relevant facts of a case. The word is often used to refer to preconceived, usually unfavorable, judgments toward people or a person because of gender, political opinion, social class, age, disability, religion, sexuality, race/ethnicity, language, nationality, or other personal characteristics. In this case, it refers to a positive or negative evaluation of another person based on their perceived group membership.[1] Prejudice can also refer to unfounded beliefs[2] and may include "any unreasonable attitude that is unusually resistant to rational influence".[3] Gordon Allport defined prejudice as a "feeling, favorable or unfavorable, toward a person or thing, prior to, or not based on, actual experience".[4]

I'm pretty sure everybody here has actually heard October, listened to the songs and has formed an opinion based on that. The only relevant fact to be considered here is the music as far as I'm aware, so it's far, far from being prejudicial.

Don't be prejudiced against non-native English speakers! :wink:

What if I'm a non-native English speaker as well? Can I be prejudiced then? :wink:

October is my least favorite U2 album. When I got into U2 people talked about War, UF and JT, so I largely ignored October initially.

However, after time passed I went back and listened to Boy and October. Boy had a lot more interesting and "cool" songs going on. While I think it suffers from lack of production, it really has a lot of solid times on it and I enjoy listening to it from time to time.

October on the other hand has no songs that I find interesting save for Gloria. It's definitely not an album you "rock out" to and I don't find it to be an album to "chill out" to, it's just....there.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's definitely not an album you "rock out" to and I don't find it to be an album to "chill out" to, it's just....there.

I chill out to October all the time. I would crap my pants if they played any October material on the tour.

There's rarely a song I'd rock out more to in U2's catalogue than Rejoice.

And there's rarely a song I'd rather chill out to than the title track.

I think U2 are a band that constantly evolves. Sometimes this process leads them in pretty uncomfortable situation when they exactly don´t know what direction to go.

ATYCLB, Bomb, NLOTH - they played it safe, more rational way, to please casual fans

October - they just let go off themselves, they wandered into new teritorries, even if the result is imperfect, it is much more exciting and authentic

I appreciate the thought behind that post, but I wouldn't pick NLOTH as a conservative U2 album (more half and half), nor October as an experimental one.

Still the same after 51 votes:

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
Zooropa
Pop
Songs of Innocence
War
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Boy
No Line On the Horizon
Rattle and Hum
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
October

What it was on the earlier vote:

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
Zooropa
Songs of Innocence
Pop
War
Boy
All That You Can't Leave Behind
No Line On the Horizon
Rattle and Hum
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
October

October - they just let go off themselves, they wandered into new teritorries, even if the result is imperfect, it is much more exciting and authentic

I really don't think they were doing that... they just ran out of time (and suitcases with lyrics/songs) and they were forced to finish the record with what they already had.

If back then they have had the power they have now, there's no way they would've released October as is, they would've just pushed the deadline until they thought the album was ready.

Now I'm not arguing on if that would've been better or worse, but October is not what it is because they were wandering and experimenting into new territories, they just ran out of time. The sound of Gloria or Fire is probably what they were aiming for, but most of the songs sound to me as if they were in the first stages of their creative process... salomes, wake ups, did you wannas and sick puppies.

I still like it but it's far from my favourites.

I really don't think they were doing that... they just ran out of time (and suitcases with lyrics/songs) and they were forced to finish the record with what they already had.

If back then they have had the power they have now, there's no way they would've released October as is, they would've just pushed the deadline until they thought the album was ready.
Agree 100%. In the early 1980s, U2 weren't crafting albums like they can (afford to) now, they were just getting as much passable stuff on tape as they could before the deadline. The first two albums came out the way they did just because of deadlines and songs available (and Lillywhite's assistance), not because the band was consciously "trying" new things. They didn't know anything yet. On War, they had a little longer to work on it and actually craft some proper songs a bit, but even then I think they were still going with the flow.

Which is exactly what I wish they would do now instead of making super-crafted, elaborately produced albums with million-dollar budgets, recorded in 4 studios over a period of three years. But while I'm at it, I may as well wish to find unicorn feces outside my door.

To me until we hear these songs live -- it's hard to judge the album. Because it takes on a new life for me. Of course sometimes the track is better than the live version to me (see Crazy Tonight), but 99% of the time the live performance takes songs that seem average into stellar territory.

They don't even feel real until I hear them do it live. Am I alone?

To me until we hear these songs live -- it's hard to judge the album. Because it takes on a new life for me. Of course sometimes the track is better than the live version to me (see Crazy Tonight), but 99% of the time the live performance takes songs that seem average into stellar territory.

They don't even feel real until I hear them do it live. Am I alone?

Nope, you're not alone. I like this album very much, so I'm hoping hoping hoping I'll hear it LIVE in its entirety come summer! Then I can more accurately rank it among the others.

Lucifer's Hands and TCB INCLUDED!!

i don't usually involve myself in these types of threads, but this album unfortunately has become a big meh for me, unfortunately.

there are only two songs i care for at all, sleep like a baby tonight and the troubles.

with that said, i'd have to put it near the bottom, above HTDAAB and October.

volcano is hilarious how bad it is... i thought stand up comedy was bad, this is perhaps even worse.

i don't usually involve myself in these types of threads, but this album unfortunately has become a big meh for me, unfortunately.

there are only two songs i care for at all, sleep like a baby tonight and the troubles.

with that said, i'd have to put it near the bottom, above HTDAAB and October.

volcano is hilarious how bad it is... i thought stand up comedy was bad, this is perhaps even worse.

I can't agree with that but hey Volcano is definitely the albums weak track for me.

Volcano is the shit guys, it's one of the few tracks on this record not putting you to sleep instantly. :lol:

I'm hoping you hear these songs live and they change your mind. If not....well, on to Songs of Experience for you!

Volcano is the song I'm enjoying the most lately (not my "best song of the album", just the one I'm enjoying more, if that makes sense).

That bridge will be the moment Bono uses live to make local references to whatever place they're playing that night.

Back
Top Bottom