XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
trevster2k said:
Team Canada was simply outplayed and outclassed at the Olympics this year.

ETA it's not the end of the world, Canada will bounce back, granted it's the biggest ice hockey tournament in the world and we embarrassed ourselves as a hockey nation but we will be back with a vengeance and a new hunger

Sometimes you need to be humbled just so you don't take things for granted

Team Canada will win gold in Vancouver in 2010, you can count on that.

Well said, trev! :up: It's definitely disappointing and embarassing. No doubt about it we will be stronger and hungry as hell come 2010.

:sad: wtf hockeh lose?

Well, I have indulged in my country's tradition of ice hockey earlier today. Tonight, I will indulge in my country's second tradition - consuming dubious ammounts of alcohol.

Go out and buy your 40s of Wildcat, it's going to be a long night, lads and lasses :huh:

The Czechs are leading the Slovaks 2-0, big upset there based on the round robin. Although the Czechs have been steadily improving since their early games, even in their loss to Canada, they dominated the game but gave up a couple of weak goals.

I'm cheering for Finland now.

Canadiens1160 said:

Well, I have indulged in my country's tradition of ice hockey earlier today. Tonight, I will indulge in my country's second tradition - consuming dubious ammounts of alcohol.

Go out and buy your 40s of Wildcat, it's going to be a long night, lads and lasses :huh:

:lol:

No Kariya, no Crosby, no Spezza, no Staal, no Phaneuf, no Boyle(not to mention injured guys like Jovanoski and Neidermyer) = NO SCORING!!!! and that inturn equals no medal!!!! Not a GOLD one, not a SILVER one, not even a BRONZE one.

Canada was shutout in 3 of their last 4 games and 11 of their last 12 periods. losing is one thing but this was a disgrace. :mad:

I'll guess I'll cheer for Finland.:)

Hallucination said:
No Kariya, no Crosby, no Spezza, no Staal, no Phaneuf, no Boyle(not to mention injured guys like Jovanoski and Neidermyer) = NO SCORING!!!! and that inturn equals no medal!!!! Not a GOLD one, not a SILVER one, not even a BRONZE one.

Canada was shutout in 3 of their last 4 games and 11 of their last 12 periods. losing is one thing but this was a disgrace. :mad:

I'll guess I'll cheer for Finland.:)

You're right, losing is bad enough, losing the way we did is just ugly especially with our history.

Gretzky's is right that everyone wants us to lose, it's natural and when the big dog falls asleep, you have to take advantage of it but look out when it wakes up again:wink:

BTW, for anyone who isn't Canadian, to put this in perspective as to how important this is in Canada, this will be the top story in the newcasts tonight and the headline in newspapers before everything else barring a tsunami or nuclear attack. Every other news story is, " and in other news" today.

3rd period, 2-1 Czech Republic

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:

good plan. :up:

pass me a bottle.

:sad:

Lila64 said:
just watched Slutskaya's performance - very good, but I think Cohen's came across to me as better

Cohen is the more graceful skater, so her program component score is going to be through the roof, so to speak, it will be very high. Slutskaya is such a different kind of skater, but she normally gets high program component score because of her energetic style. Right now they are in a dead heat. I'm not really nervous because I like them both, and I'll be happy with either one as gold medalist.

The big picture for Canada is that this will be our best Winter Olympics ever and there were some outstanding performances by many other athletes who didn't win medals. And we still have a chance to get over 20 medals, some of our medal favorites may have fallen but some unknowns have stepped up to meet the challenge. Great momentum heading to Vancouver when Canada welcomes the world, and the world goes holy shit, you guys have way too much land.

I literally cried today for Canada's hockey loss.

However, it looks like our other Olympic athletes are picking up the slack.

Hey, let's not forget the Canadian women won gold in hockey. So, they beat out the rejects and wash-outs from the Swedish flight attendent academy and Scandanavian Bartender Association, it's still a gold :wink:

The way the Canadians played, we totally deserved to lose. It's not shameful to lose to Russia, it's shameful not to score at all in half the games you play.

But how about Cindy Klassen? What an absolute class act, wonderful achievement for her.

boosterjuice said:
I literally cried today for Canada's hockey loss.

However, it looks like our other Olympic athletes are picking up the slack.
together with the USA,..but the rest of the NHL players are still in the olympics.

Love the nes avatar Canadiens1160 :up:

olympic.gif

Hello from Torino!!
The city is awesome. Best time ever. We are about to head over to the Today show so if ya know what I look like keep an eye out for me today and maybe tomorrow.

Going to men's freestyle skiing tonight then on a bar crawl. :drool:

WildHoneyAlways said:
Hello from Torino!!
The city is awesome. Best time ever. We are about to head over to the Today show so if ya know what I look like keep an eye out for me today and maybe tomorrow.

You lucky duck! I'd have loved to go to these Games in person!

WildHoneyAlways said:
Hello from Torino!!

:wave:

Ok, now we can confirm how crazy Canadians are. The province of Newfoundland is closing schools early at lunchtime on Friday so the students can go home to watch St. John's native Brad Gushue and his rink play for the gold medal in men's curling live in Torino. :applaud:

Do we love the Olympics or what? :dancing:

ETA Shannon Kleibrink won a bronze in the curling semifinal match so mission accomplished, Canada couldn't go home without a medal in curling, ooh, the shame that would have been brought upon our land.:wink:

Last edited:
That's awesome. Glad we won the bronze in women's curling, and winning the gold in men's would be pretty sweet.

So far this is Canada's best Olympics yet, so we have a lot to be proud of! Men's hockey was disappointing, but we've done so well this year in our other sports. Go Canada!

Last edited:
ThoraSEB said:

So far this is Canada's best Olympics yet, so we have a lot to be proud of! Men's hockey was disappointing, but we've done so well this year in our other sports. Go Canada!

If you look at the trend, we have been consistently increasing our medal count in the winter Olympics over the past 20 years, so by 2050 we should win all the events.:wink: and they will change the name to Canalympics, only award silver and bronze since Canada already has all the gold, and NBC's coverage of the games will be limited to a bottom of the screen ticker blurb on latenite CNBC while CBC, CTV, Global, and TSN will have all Canalympics,all the time, with infrared sleepvision cams of the athletes in their dorms.

Congrats to the Swedish women on winning a hard-fought curling match - I salute you!

1140651692470.gif

You are not going to believe the ladies' competition. I cheated and "watched" it on Eurosport feed. I won't disclose any details, but watch it!

Back
Top Bottom