Will U2 play the REAL lead single on Fallon show ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great performance of OL, I did not think it would come across that well acoustically, but it's clearly a strong song. Whether it wins at the Oscars or not, it sounds great.

And even Invisible went down well, not a great fan of this song but it just sounded good on a live setting (even with a pre-recorded backing track), and Bono's adlibs worked really well.

PS: thanks for the Stories for Boys link, not bad at all either!

1. Oscars and awards in general are meaningless

Actually, they have a good deal of "meaning". Artists, performers, craftspeople, technicians, writers, etc. spend a great deal of time creating these works, whether they be film, television or music. The awards and being recognised by their peers means a great deal to them....it's their profession and craft. Are awards you get in your profession "meaningless"? The awards can also represent millions of dollars in increased revenue, free publicity, etc. Winning or being simply nominated can in fact "mean" a great deal to a great many people.

Now, in the larger sense of the world...war, disease, poverty, yes, the awards mean nothing. As does all this talk we do here about a rock band. As with most other things.

2. The winner and nominees have nothing to do with quality
3. Especially in this category which essentially goes to famous artists puts a song over the end credits of a big box office movie that came out in the last quarter of the year.

Again, not true. You may disagree with what does and does not win, and some things that win may in fact deserve to lose and some things that lose deserve to win. But to say winning and being nominated have "nothing" to do with quality is pretty facile.

4. No one without kids should know the music from a princess movie (not aimed at you)

Well, some people just like animated films. Or Disney movies. Or musicals. Or are fans of Idina Menzel (she has a pretty good voice you know). I'm sure some people would find spending a lot of time writing posts about a rock band as silly as princess movies. Why don't you go on being into U2 and not be so judgemental about what other people are into.

5. Put some quality headphones on and take in the production on Ordinary Love.

Well, I guess we can all agree on this. Why don't you post this last point on a Disney forum?

Both songs still rising on the U.S. iTunes chart. Invisible now at 47. Ordinary Love all the way up to 17! Amazing what a bounce both are getting from Fallon. I'm sure Invisible would be even higher as well, if so many people hadn't gotten it for free.

I think the academy can't overlook U2 this time, the final piece of hardware in the trophy cabinet!

I agree.

I have a sports betting site that allows you to actually put money down on things like the Oscars.

I'm gonna put some money down on a U2 win! :applaud:

I think the academy can't overlook U2 this time, the final piece of hardware in the trophy cabinet!

Yes I'm sure that's their voting priority...ticking off another award for U2.

Actually, I hope they do overlook them. I kind of don't think these pop songs that are tacked on to the end credits of a film should be eligible. I'd rather see songs nominated that were actually sung as part of the story of the film...or at a minimum, something that was played during the film itself that made an artistic contribution to the story. "Let it Go" plays a crucial role in Frozen and is a big part of the story. Other than U2 saying the song is about Mandela (a dubious claim IMO) the song contributes absolutely nothing to that movie, and in fact the movie would play exactly the same (but for the credits) without the song. So how does that add to the film at all? I don't know, that's kind of lame to me, and not fair to the artists who actually worked at making a piece of music that was part of a film's story and contributed to the final on-screen product in a meaningful away.

The way U2's song is being considered, it's more like a Grammy...an award for the song itself, but not how good it works in terms of the film. There really should be a distinction, and I actually hope that's something the Academy voters keep in mind, because while I like U2's song better than any of the other songs (I guess), I don't think they deserve to win (though they probably will).

Both songs still rising on the U.S. iTunes chart. Invisible now at 47. Ordinary Love all the way up to 17! Amazing what a bounce both are getting from Fallon. I'm sure Invisible would be even higher as well, if so many people hadn't gotten it for free.

That would be the DVR bounce.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

I'm pretty sure The Roots didn't play it by accident.

Nor did they say "Hey, remember that old classic Tonight? Let's play that! .... oh shit, that's a U2 song? NO WAY!"

:wink:

I should have double checked what I typed, of course it wasn't a coincidence, but in the history of U2, this was just a real oddball to say the least and I'm shocked the blue crack didn't catch it right away!!! Usually they are introduced by something like Pride, BD, etc., but Tonight for the first night of the new Tonight Show was awesome!! :drool: It still boggles why they would pick an unreleased 1978 demo!!!???!!!

Probably as a joke to U2. Plus the song is called TONIGHT, like the TONIGHT SHOW

One thing I love is when the boys walk onstage before Ordinary Love the Roots play 'Tonight' the 1978 U2 demo. Classic.

dan, great catch!!! I watched the video of this many times and I was thinking wth song is that they were playing, it sounded so familiar to me?!?

Thumbs up to The Roots also.

But man what a great catch!

I should have double checked what I typed, of course it wasn't a coincidence, but in the history of U2, this was just a real oddball to say the least and I'm shocked the blue crack didn't catch it right away!!!

Well, you have to give us some leeway. This is a very obscure track, an early demo that wasn't widely bootlegged. At least, I'd never heard of it until now.

Well one thing is clear to me. I need to go listen to "Let it Go." ;)

Seriously though, I really enjoyed U2's performance and I thought Ordinary Love was outstanding. I think a great measure of the quality of the performance is the reaction of people who aren't invested the way we are. My wife, is at best the most casual of fans, and she immediately fell in love with the song and the performance. They brought magic to that performance!

In regards to the song the Roots played to intro the band I remember thinking that it sounded like a U2 song but I couldn't place it. Very cool.

OMG I just watched Ordinary Love from the Tonight Show. First class. They owned that little studio for those few minutes. The performance got better and better as it went.

Back
Top Bottom