when a bad review is good...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Refugee
Check this review out from u2tours.com. This guy seems to be on such a different planet that I'd be more concerned if he actually liked the concert!

All of the other reviews that I've read for Croke II are sparkling.. it strikes me that you really have to give a bit of yourself to these concerts and the music - it's a two way thing. The ones with this positive attitude seem to love it, the ones with a 'show me' attitude will probably be dissapointed.

Review by: Joseph

what a dissappointment...my 5th vertigo show and if the standard continues like it was the other night most definitely my last. the sound system was atrocious, the show in boston was even better than this inaudible garble. it seemed to me that the band were making very little effort to connect with the crowd and bono and the edge just seemed to be failing to 'gel' all night (according to a source there was a minor argument before the show). the visuals were totally out of sync, the screen going blank even during a key section of bloody sunday and the vertigo encore. as for matt-from-canada's forunate opportunity, my friend was also holding an even larger sign proclaiming his 'desire' to play any song bono required...but even though bono clearly read the sign he ignored it and drew attention to this matt farce! i guarantee that my friend would have played anything in u2's expansive backcatalogue to a much higher standard than matt's cringe inducingly faulted rendition of party girl (he mixed b minor with b minor sus 4 three times at least)...he was even booed by a large contingent of the bomb shelter's crowd. to top off the farce of a show the vip passes that my friend and i had 'acquired' at anaheim were confinscated by security when we tried to get into the dressing rooms after the show...they even got the police involved and we were isuued an 'official warning', what a load of crap...it's not like we even did anything to bono! so as a recap...i thought the croke park show was degradingly horrendous.

????????????????????
i am always reasonably critical.
in manchester last week i was underwhelmed, but i have always been so when i've seen them in england.
we enjoyed croke park on friday but i thought the band were a little flat - maybe cos of nerves.
on saturday - it was fantastic. from about 6pm i sensed the crowd was in much better shape then friday - and the band as soon as they appeared were aswell.
out of control was infinitely better than i will follow and it set the tone. a great gig - for me up there with slane and croke park 87 - my first gig as an impressionable 12 year old.
that matt guy got great cheers - even if he made mistakes, have you heard some of the bands recent versions of the song? cringeworthy!

I also was at the 2nd Manchester show, and though it was my first one of the Vertigo tour, it did seem like there was something missing - it was still pretty good though.

My expectations were satisfied thought on the night of the first Twickenham show: just wonderful. I was standing three feet from the Edge, and my parents, with my sister and her fiance, sitting in the middle tier lovin their first U2 experience.

Feel free to check MY review of Croke 1 and 2 (U2 Tours.com)honestly, I think people post this garbage just to get a reaction-I was in the bomb shelter and NO-ONE booed Matt. And I was a bit critical of opening night in my review of Anaheim 2 by comparison so it's not like I fawn over them-THESE SHOWS WERE FANTASTIC!

Jim said:
Check this review out from u2tours.com. This guy seems to be on such a different planet that I'd be more concerned if he actually liked the concert!

All of the other reviews that I've read for Croke II are sparkling.. it strikes me that you really have to give a bit of yourself to these concerts and the music - it's a two way thing. The ones with this positive attitude seem to love it, the ones with a 'show me' attitude will probably be dissapointed.

Review by: Joseph

what a dissappointment...my 5th vertigo show and if the standard continues like it was the other night most definitely my last. the sound system was atrocious, the show in boston was even better than this inaudible garble. it seemed to me that the band were making very little effort to connect with the crowd and bono and the edge just seemed to be failing to 'gel' all night (according to a source there was a minor argument before the show). the visuals were totally out of sync, the screen going blank even during a key section of bloody sunday and the vertigo encore. as for matt-from-canada's forunate opportunity, my friend was also holding an even larger sign proclaiming his 'desire' to play any song bono required...but even though bono clearly read the sign he ignored it and drew attention to this matt farce! i guarantee that my friend would have played anything in u2's expansive backcatalogue to a much higher standard than matt's cringe inducingly faulted rendition of party girl (he mixed b minor with b minor sus 4 three times at least)...he was even booed by a large contingent of the bomb shelter's crowd. to top off the farce of a show the vip passes that my friend and i had 'acquired' at anaheim were confinscated by security when we tried to get into the dressing rooms after the show...they even got the police involved and we were isuued an 'official warning', what a load of crap...it's not like we even did anything to bono! so as a recap...i thought the croke park show was degradingly horrendous.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been playing the guitar for 10 years and I don't think there is such a chord as B minor sus 4? I know there is a B sus 4 though. I guess Matt wasn't the only 1 getting things mixed up! This guy was getting really angry! 5 vertigo shows! No wonder they wouldn't let him backstage he sounds like a stalker!

Of course this cannot ever be an irrefutable statement, but I have **often** heard that the FIRST show in a particular city is weak by comparison to the second show. This was seen to be the case in Boston, and maybe in Dublin?? Is this seen by others to be sort of a trend?

Chris in NH

Not always the case i remeber Elevation here in Montreal May 27th &28th and the first show was actually better then the second the show.

Re: Re: when a bad review is good...

nickypiemcg said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been playing the guitar for 10 years and I don't think there is such a chord as B minor sus 4? I know there is a B sus 4 though. I guess Matt wasn't the only 1 getting things mixed up! This guy was getting really angry! 5 vertigo shows! No wonder they wouldn't let him backstage he sounds like a stalker!

You`re damn right nicky. There`s no such thing as B minor sus 4. Either it`s a minor chord or a sus4 chord.

I think he was angry getting kicked out backstage.

cheers,
dr.dae

yeah sounds like a bad case of jealousy and sour grapes to me

the whole things like playground arguing - "my friends sign is bigger than yours...!"
i met and spent most of sunday with matt - lovely guy! and i thought he rocked on stage - i dont think i could even hold a guitar up there, let alone actually get a sound out of it! so good on him! :applaud:

as for moaning about it being a farce over the signs because his friend had a sign too - if i wanted to i could be childish and moan too... you see its not fair because some girl who smiled at bono got pulled up on stage but i smiled at bono too and despite clearly seeing my smile he ignored it and picked her instead!
its a farce i tell you! :madspit:
:wink: :lol:

as for VIP passes getting you into dressing rooms... i wuold be very very surprised if those sort of passes existed to anyone besides close friends and family - anyone read "i was Bono's doppelganger"?
McCormick who's known Bono since school hardly ever gets given top level passes - sure normally the band spot him and pull him in to their little VIP section anyway. But if its that hard for him, i sincerely doubt that some bloke from the bomb shelter had VIP Dressing room passes - no wonder they called the cops in! :lol:

oh yeah - the concert absolutely ROCKED!! :rockon:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom