What's the deal with "North Star"??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Sorry if I'm digging up and old topic, I just can't find much information. I must've not been paying attention in 2010-11, because I just now learned that "North Star" was a part of one of the Transformers movies... sort of.

From what I can tell, a full band, studio recording was used in the background. It was never released? Has anybody from the band or the movie ever even acknowledged the song's presence in the film? I'm absolutely dumbfounded by this. Is there any way to hear this version of the full song? Youtube and Google searches haven't really given me much, just live B+E versions, or at best version in which fans has composed their own music over a B+E version (which sound pretty good).

No full version of the atrocious North Star Transformers mix has surfaced, thanks be to God.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was fortunate enough to see North Star performed live. Half the audience had killed themselves by the 30-second mark. I lasted 35 seconds before shooting myself. The cold embrace of death was such wonderful relief from that song.

After a crowd sang along at the end that one time (idk the show) I'm surprised they just dropped the song. Oh well, maybe it'll be a B-Side some day.

It seems so stupid to have a song be in a movie and not release it. I'm indifferent to the song, but I'd still like to hear the finished version of it.

What's the deal with "North Star"??

I witnessed North Star's only North American performance on U2360°. I don't remember much, except I was mad that they didn't play Stay.
No full version of the atrocious North Star Transformers mix has surfaced, thanks be to God.
Thankfully. I would have preferred to hear the full band version they had rehearsed during the European leg, and that's not saying much.

Last edited:
After a crowd sang along at the end that one time (idk the show) I'm surprised they just dropped the song.

Yeah, I remember watching video of that around that time. People learn quick.

Wait a minute... people sang along to a song that people wanted to kill themselves too??? :huh:

I actually really like the guitar line in North Star, I could give a shit about the lyrics but I do like the chorus

After a crowd sang along at the end that one time (idk the show) I'm surprised they just dropped the song. Oh well, maybe it'll be a B-Side some day.

That was Munich if I remember correctly. With Bono lollig and chuckling that it would be the Internet.

NS was pretty nice live, it's a sweet little song that could've been something special. Shame they never did anything with it.

That was Munich if I remember correctly. With Bono lollig and chuckling that it would be the Internet.

NS was pretty nice live, it's a sweet little song that could've been something special. Shame they never did anything with it.

But they DID do something with it. A finished studio version exists, and was put on a major motion picture. But it wasn't on the soundtrack or made available in any way! SOMETHING happened. The song must've already been in the final cut when U2 decided they weren't going to push forward with Songs of Ascent.

I just gave the 360 acoustic version of NS a listen for the first time in years. I like it a lot more than I remembered. Hardly the greatest U2 song ever, but certainly pleasant.

Keep in mind there are two different acoustic versions. The US leg and EU leg are both different, on the US leg Edge decided to stop playing the chords arpeggiated and just play chords. I prefer the arpeggio version as it's rather soothing.

I used to like 'North Star' until I realised, that it was a rip-off of Bob Marley's 'Waiting in Vain'.

Confused?

:hyper:
Yeah, I remember watching video of that around that time. People learn quick.

Wait a minute... people sang along to a song that people wanted to kill themselves too??? :huh:
:reject:

:sexywink::sexywink:

...well, everyone sings along to 40,, like in Philly c. 1985 = a real fun time in the Arenas, lights on, Party's over..

...and then, out into the night (still singing) ..thx to my "boyfriend" Jose, it was a special Rock and Roll band :applaud:

my trainride back to Penn was a *blast* too -- wow, now --}}

CONVERTED : to Shalom, a //charismatic// show and boy did we

Party -- back in Philly...but no museum, shit !!

Back
Top Bottom