What Is The Best U2 Song Of All Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Fly

The guitar effect at the end of Edges solo hits me in away no other song can, plus it's the coolest song ever.

Where The Streets Have No Name
Quintesential U2
All other U2 songs rest on this powerhouse song
It answers all questions and is a bridge between Boy and HTDAAB

No doubt about this question: Where the streets have no name

Pure perfection. On the album as well live... the whole arena or stadium explodes when Edge's guitar solo begins... Never seen anything like that in my whole life.

Last edited:
My favourite changes with my moods and what I am going through ;)

Right now it is Gone and has been for a whilethe words fit my life perfectly right now

my first impulse would be to say "ONE" its so beautiful
but I think a song that everyone has or will relate to that really brought people to U2 is " A Sort Of Homecoming"- its sort of that balmy ,grey ,standing in a feild with a heart full of hope and good will sort of song...

Where the Streets Have No Name

its the intro of all intros, the way its so soft and you can kind of hear it and it gets stronger and louder and then just explodes with so much energy and emotion. and its almost angelic in it sound as well, like it was made by angels them selves its also astounding live - a very powerful performance.

to put it simply:

If Heaven and itself were to release a single, it would be Where the Streets Have No Name

With Or Without You -- it's my all-time favorite song. Maybe it's synchronized with my heartbeat? I don't know.

Must be Bad. The live version from "Wide Awake In America" is among my favorite pieces of music ever. Right up there Scherhezade(sp), "Eyes Of The World" by the Grateful Dead, "Dear Prudence" by the Beatles, and Beethoven's 7th Symphony.

not personal favourites- just matter of fact

Studio- One
Live- Where the Streets Have no Name

With or Without You!!!!!

Couldn't agree more with (or without) you Innocent Eyes!
It has the most powerful ending. Period. Name one song that has a better finish? The lyrics are spot on.
And as we've seen in the Documentary about the Joshua Tree, Edge talks about the guitar playing at the end as his favourite part on the whole album. It captures the soul of U2 - the simplicity. So many feelings in these few chords. Actually still cannot believe, after all these years, that such a simple guitar riff can be so powerfull.
I definately do not think it´s the best live song though.

Studio - The Fly(everyone is amazing here, especially Edge)
Live - With or Without You 1987-1993(the peak of U2's music)

For a long time it was One, but I am thinking Sometimes you can't make it on your own is currently ahead for me.

They are the two U2 songs that have the biggest impact on me.

I'm another BAD lover. It's just such a complete song in my eyes.
It is so wonderful from start to finish and the way it builds and builds is simply sublime! THE performance so far of course has been LIVE AID, god that was utterly compelling and spellbinding for me at that time, falling totally and utterly in love with Bono like i was!:bow: :bow: :bow:

5.One-unforgettably bad video

4.With or without you-the same reason, but it's better for Bono's look, i simply love it(so funny)

3.Pride-you all seem to forgot it and not mentioned it

2.Vertigo-great concert opener, more i hear it, more i love it
SBS-just is too big not to be in the first five

1.Where the streets have no name-definitely, no doubt

about Bad-just beautiful song, but BORING
ISHFWLF-nice, but it didn't fit with me

WTSHNN- it's not just the best studio, it's THE BEST LIVE SONG
i have one version where Larry get's crazy on the drums. DA BEST

susanp6 said:
I'm another BAD lover. It's just such a complete song in my eyes.
It is so wonderful from start to finish and the way it builds and builds is simply sublime! THE performance so far of course has been LIVE AID, god that was utterly compelling and spellbinding for me at that time, falling totally and utterly in love with Bono like i was!:bow: :bow: :bow:

Have to agree with the assesment of the Live Aid performance. That's what got me into U2 in the first place. Up until now, I've never been able to get my hands on a copy of it, but now that it's on DVD, I'll have to burn an audio copy to listen to in the car!

Before the release of "How to Dismantle..." I was really studying the sounds and lyrics of One Tree Hill. For about a week, I became captivated by the song. I know the whole history about Carroll's death, but the song is very flexible. I love Edge's African guitar and the pace and eventual build-up to Bono's cry to his lost friend. I've seen it played live once and could feel Bono's angst...IMV, one of U2's finest efforts and one of the great gems of JTree...

Back
Top Bottom