What 1 song do you want dropped from the setlist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What 'classic' song do you want dropped from the setlist?

• Beautiful Day

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Elevation

Votes: 51 20.0%
  • The Electric Co.

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart

Votes: 26 10.2%
  • New Year's Day

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • Bullet the Blue Sky

Votes: 28 11.0%
  • Running to Stand Still

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pride (In the Name of Love)

Votes: 54 21.2%
  • Where the Streets Have No Name

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • One

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • The Fly

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Mysterious Ways

Votes: 15 5.9%

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Zoo Station

Votes: 14 5.5%

• Total voters
wow--so many votes for Pride--but, I have to agree. There is something about the song that is boring--I think if they keep it, it would be cool if they re-worked it--maybe acoustic--but, at the end of the day, it is the one song that seems to get played every show dating back to UF tour)--so I would be shocked if they took it out.

I picked "Sunday Bloody Sunday." I really wish they retired that song at PopMart.

It stopped sounding like it meant anything after the eighties. When they played it during ZooTV, it was horribly out of place (the whole irony facade wasn't supposed to break down until "Running To Stand Still," so why do such an earnest song earlier in the set?; the Zooropa setlists that snubbed "Sunday" and "Bad" for the bitterly cynical "Dirty Day" work much better for me).

The PopMart reinvention was brilliant; they realized they couldn't play it with the same fiery anger as they used to, so they recast it as a lament rather than a protest. It was as poignant as it ever was, if not moreso. I'm glad they didn't keep playing it this way, since it would've cheapened those performances in a way, but they shouldn't keep playing it the old way either. The Elevation and Vertigo versions are simply going through the motions. It's just a pop song now; it doesn't mean anything anymore.

After that, I'd say "Elevation." It was a good tour opener, but I don't think it's strong enough to keep as a live staple, especially if it means "leaving behind" songs like "Stuck In A Moment...", "Walk On," and "Kite." I also don't think the modified intro works very well.

"Pride" sounds...tired. Maybe play "MLK" instead? I dunno.

"With or Without You" should never be played live again because Bono can't fucking sing it anymore.

I'm tired of "New Year's Day" and "Mysterious Ways," but at least they still sound good.

"Bad" and "Gloria" should make only intermittent appearances. They still sound good, and the band shouldn't ruin them by overplaying them.

"Where the Streets Have No Name" and "One" sound better now that they've tweaked them a bit. Are they better? No, not necessarily. But they're different, and good in a new way.

"Bullet the Blue Sky" is just slow and boring now. "Love and Peace or Else" should've replaced it, not supplemented it.

The Boy songs are awesome. They all sound surprisingly strong after all these years. I hope they keep playing them. "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" would rock too.

Last edited:
i hate bullet the blue sky. never ever liked that song. always skipped it whenever i listen to joshua tree. please don't hate me now. just my personal preference. :yikes:

I voted for Pride, with Elevation and New Year's Day being very close seconds.

I can't believe people are voting for An Cat Dubh and The Electric Co. :slant:

Last edited:
"oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh"

Pride gets the crowd going. Why would anyone want that dropped? :huh:

I voted for Elevation ... it was good for the last tour, but Please, Why they don't play Bad ???

I know ... they played it for the last decade, but ... I love that song LIVE ... I hope they play it more often and I'm lucky to enjoy it in any of the three shows in Europe I'm attending

God Bless U-2

By the way ... Hello to everyone!

I'm new, although I'm 32 and I'm a U2 fan for more than two decades, I never joined any forum until now

The wait is long and the summer seems to me to be so far away that I need to share this with somebody

Thanks

WTF - Streets gets vote...I'd feel robbed if I went and they didn't play this - absolutely undroppable.

Wouldn't want any of the early 80s stuff out...not all great but brings back great memories for me.

Fly potentially... but the Edge opening is one of the best.

Elevation is a great record was ideal opener for the last tour...but Bono's performances haven't been great. So I'd drop this.

I'm off to Barcelona...bet they don't drop Vertigo there!

Never get tired of "40" what a comeback.

Elevation - blah! A great album track that was a core performance on the "Elevation" tour but it really has no place on the "Vertigo" setlist.

Also, "40" - I love this song but I hope its not the closer for every show on the tour.

This was a tough one for me as I wouldnt mind if Pride, Bullet and SBS were not done. But I went with NY Day, the song does nothing for me live at this point. What is funny is that almost all of these songs get a HUGE reaction from most of the crowd. Which is why they wont be dropped.

Honorable mention would be An Cat Dubh. Love the song, think its great they pulled it out. BUT it kills the momentum of the show. I think it goes to show that the FLOW is as important if not more so than variety or throwing the die hards a bone.

Was a toss up between Bullet and Mysterious Ways-I chose Mysterious ways

Dear god, don't vote off any Achtung Baby songs!!! :huh:

I vote Pride...replace it with something from Pop...try Please or Last Night on Earth :drool:

I can't believe people actually want them to get rid of An Cat Dubh. Are you freakin' crazy?!? Some of us have waited all of our lives for these classics. I say dump Pride, it's overplayed. Add Bad. Dump Elevation, it's mediocre. Add Walk On. Dump Sunday, Bloody Sunday, it has no meaning for me when the do it any more. Add Until the End of the World.

They could also dump Bullet in favor of Exit, Yahweh in favor of Crumbs From Your Table, and Original of the Species in favor of anything in their catalog -- except for Numb, Playboy Mansion, If God Will Send His Angels, or Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses -- in my humble opinion.

And keep your hands off of Mysterious Ways. The guitar work, particularly at the end, is epic.

Zoo station gets my vote purely because its the only song on AB I never got on with, although I do agree with most threads that elevation and pride could do with a rest

I don't think they need to play Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, Pride or Bullet The Blue Sky ever again. THEY'VE BEEN PLAYED FOR TOO LONG!!! CHANGE THE RECORD!

Why Mysterious Ways gets played on every tour.....

1. It's got a good bass line for adam to play.

2. Larry can hit the drums as hard as he likes.

3. Bono rarely, if ever, gets the words wrong, and there's a lot of scope for improvisation.

4. Edge can play (arguably) one of his best guitar solos.

5. People recognise it, even if they're not the biggest U2 fan, and can sing along with the 'it's alright' bit.

6. It fits in well with other songs.

Plus as a live performance generally, it's one of their best.

Axver said:
Can't believe a couple of people voted for The Electric Co. That's the absolute highlight of the tour for me.

Agreed. Electric Co has been awesome. I think The Fly has too. I love the live version of that song.

If I have to choose a song to kick out, I'd choose Pride and replace it with either Heartland or Hawkmoon 269!!

Back
Top Bottom