Well we still don't know if they're playing stadiums...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm... To play live in front of capacity crowds in many major cities around the world and make lots of money for the band, the label and the producers?

I dunno... call me crazy... I always thought that was the point.

Road Whore said:
Ummm... To play live in front of capacity crowds in many major cities around the world and make lots of money for the band, the label and the producers?

I dunno... call me crazy... I always thought that was the point.

But if they're not 100% into it, if they have to readjust every time they come back then to me there's no point. In every tour, the beginning is always a bit bumpy for the band, they're still trying to get into it, and the cool thing about it is that at the end of the tour they are really tight, with the best set lists and are playing better than ever. I'm afraid every time they come back it will feel like they're starting all over again, that's all. To me that wouldn?t be fun.

The label gets money out of the band's touring? I thought they didn't. And what do they care if producers are getting their money?

I actually doubt that U2 would do a warm up tour of Arena's in the USA and then return to those same markets in the fall and play stadiums, unless they were very careful and played only single shows. Playing multiple arena dates even in large cities at TOP Ticket prices, would hurt sales in that market months later for a Stadium show.

The Arena shows in 1992 were usually single dates and were not at TOP ticket prices. The band came back in the fall and charged about the same price in the Stadiums which in today's market are usually much cheaper because of the greater supply of seats.

If U2 are contemplating playing Stadiums in the USA, there are 11 markets that are good to go regardless of the success of the next album: They are:

New York City
Chicago
Boston
Los Angeles
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Miami
San Francisco
Dallas
Atlanta
Detroit

These are the 11 strongest markest for U2 in the USA ranked in order. I realize Boston might be the strongest if this was based on per capita demand for tickets in each city. Also, some markets can become stronger or weaker depending on whether neighboring markets get shows or not. Columbus Ohio was actually one of POPMARTS strongest markets in the USA because shows were not played in Indiana, Kentucky and other cities in Ohio.

If U2 do a stadium tour, I could see the band coming to the USA for only Arena's in the Spring, but avoiding playing any of the above 11 markets saving them for the Summer/Fall.

The Joshua Tree tour was actually both Stadiums and Arena's. In fact, even on the fall "Stadium" Tour, there were more shows in Arena's than Stadiums.

So, the tour is more likely to resemble the Joshua Tree than anything else. It would be cool if they did the Rolling Stone style on the last tour with Stadium/Arena/Theater in all the big markets.

STING2 said:
If U2 are contemplating playing Stadiums in the USA, there are 11 markets that are good to go regardless of the success of the next album: They are:

New York City

But of all the things that anybody really "knows," the one thing that we have the most information about is NYC. Right now it appears that they'll play Madison Square Garden, not any one of the stadiums in NYC. That kind of blows the whole "major market" stadium theory. Now I realize that changing one's mind is a rock star perogative, but the auctioning of concert tickets for a charity does sort of commit one to following through. So it looks as if the Garden is a go right now.

martha said:
It's pointless to argue with the new guy. He thinks he knows stuff we don't know.

Give him a break..it's not difficult find bits if information if you are in the right place at the right time. All this 'Edge's cousin' stuff is boring and to suggest that anybody who has 'information' is a liar is damn rude.

I took the time last year to report to these pages news on the new album from a conversation that I had with Paul McGuinness and I had enough 'Edge's cousin's brother' comments and snide little responses (for which the undertones suggested that I was making it up) to make sure that I won't bother in future.

Sure there will always be bullshitters out there, but give people the benefit of the doubt rather than throwing your toys out of the pram anytime somebody suggests they have 'insider' news!

STING2 said:
[B

New York City
Chicago
Boston
Los Angeles
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Miami
San Francisco
Dallas
Atlanta
Detroit

[/B]

This is very true. If Elevation's statistics are anything to go by, I also think they could perform well in Denver, Phoenix and somewhere in upstate New York (Buffalo or Albany). A stadium show in Pittsburgh is not out of the question. Maybe they could do a stadium show in Charlotte, NC to nail down the NC,SC,VA markets. That stadium in Salt Lake City the did on Popmart only held 30,000 at capacity, so I think that one might be doable.

The Popmart tour did do well in Columbus (I was there!), it was one of the highest attended concerts of the American tour. It was the only concert closeby, however. ON Elevation, we had shows in Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Lexington. This wasn't good for sales. The Columbus arena show barely sold out. So maybe one stadium show in this area is the ticket for U2.

Of course the North American stadium tour would also have Canada included, which they could do all stadiums and all would sell out.

Jim said:
Give him a break..it's not difficult find bits if information if you are in the right place at the right time. All this 'Edge's cousin' stuff is boring and to suggest that anybody who has 'information' is a liar is damn rude.

That is true. However, when you're suddenly suggesting stuff and you cannot say what your sources are, it's logical people get suspective. How did this person get this information? Why can't he name the source? Just asking us to 'trust him' ain't gonna work. If that is the case, then I'm running to the shop right now to buy Solar. And Expect Nothing... And Born Again. And I'm going to listen to my bootleg of the Amsterdam 2002 concert again.

I took the time last year to report to these pages news on the new album from a conversation that I had with Paul McGuinness and I had enough 'Edge's cousin's brother' comments and snide little responses (for which the undertones suggested that I was making it up) to make sure that I won't bother in future.

I'm sorry that this had happened. Although I can't remember that far (happens to me all the time), I can imagine the situation. Some people only like to believe their own imagination and if somebody giving them information, even if it's from a named source like Paul McGuinness, will cause those 'friend of Edge's cousin brother' comments. This does not mean that others don't appreciate this kind of information. It's probably more trustworthy than the info coming straight out of Bono's mouth. :p

Sure there will always be bullshitters out there, but give people the benefit of the doubt rather than throwing your toys out of the pram anytime somebody suggests they have 'insider' news!

Sorry, but I've heard too many bullshitters to give 'unnamed sources which I cannot disclose at the moment' the benefit of the doubt. Say where the information is from, or keep your mouth shut.
:sigh:

C ya!

Marty

Jim said:

:up:

I was just thinking of a third option:

Play to shorter stadium configurations or Baseball parks.
(Springsteen has done this before, and I think the Stones
have done a ballpark or two as well.)

This way they could add a viable third idea to attendance options. (this is for N. America, where the venues are pretty similar) With arenas you pretty much get 14 to 18 thousand people in 90% of all end stage configurations. With stadiums, most will hold 40 to 60 thousand with an end stage. If you shorten the football stadium seating chart or add a ballpark, you could play the 25 - 45 range more often, which I think would fit nicely in a Colorado or Ohio situation.

Or they could play stadiums everywhere if they would just tier the ticket prices as 80.00 for premium seats, 50.00 for mid and 35.00 for nosebleeds. I really don't know why more acts don't do this, I think a 80.00 for premium and 65.00 for nosebleed type pricing system is really unfair. Diehards don't want to sit at the back and fair weather fans don't want to pay a months rent to sit ten miles from the stage...

Jim said:

The new guy is playing that same coy bullshit game that others like to play. "I know something you don't know and I'm going to hint and not tell you my sources." I hate that coy crap. :tsk: If you know something for sure, then spill it and name your sources. If you can't name your sources, then you shouldn't be telling secrets anyway.

OK, I've figured it out. It's a three step process:

1. Martha needs to come up with a really big backyard with high fences and plenty of Johny On The Jobs.

2. We start a "U2 needs to play Martha's backyard" petition and send it to the band with all the interference folks on it. U2 instantly sees the need to play some strangers backyard and agrees to do it.

3. Spring '05 We have the "Martha's Backyard Band Blowout" headlined by U2 and sponsored by Interference.

The only real questions to figure out are 1. Who will open the show and 2. What will Martha be grilling for us?

tkramer said:
OK, I've figured it out. It's a three step process:

1. Martha needs to come up with a really big backyard with high fences and plenty of Johny On The Jobs.

2. We start a "U2 needs to play Martha's backyard" petition and send it to the band with all the interference folks on it. U2 instantly sees the need to play some strangers backyard and agrees to do it.

3. Spring '05 We have the "Martha's Backyard Band Blowout" headlined by U2 and sponsored by Interference.

The only real questions to figure out are 1. Who will open the show and 2. What will Martha be grilling for us?

I'm in. Can someone please pay for my ticket? I'm a cheap bastard.

Pay? Mr. Fly, we ain't paying for nothing. We're band security. We have to follow them all around Marthas and make sure Sting2 doesn't mug them for pictures more than twice.

(And more on topic, doesn't anyone else here think it would be cool to see U2 at a ballpark? Or is that nuts? I've never done a ballpark concert before...)

You know you're right, Headache was the one with yard space. Am I high? Maybe I'm high. Well, then is it ok if we move the show? Or, Or, we could do TWO SHOWS! YEAH!

tkramer said:
You know you're right, Headache was the one with yard space. Am I high? Maybe I'm high. Well, then is it ok if we move the show? Or, Or, we could do TWO SHOWS! YEAH!

You probably still high. U2 would never do two shows on two different backyards. I think it would be a one-time thing. Maybe they can pay for my ticket... or stop by with their own airplane where I leave and take me to the show. Yeah I can see that happening. :cool:

One show in each continent then. Yes, the one in my continent will be on my backyard. Welcome U2. Everybody is invited. I need a new guitar. Edge should give me a Goldtop and maybe I should join them on stage for a song or two. :mac: I can see that happening too. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom