US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of the most interesting members during my time in Fym, all for different reasons:

yolland
DaveC
Sting2
martha
PhilsFan
Nick66
Oregapo
MrsSpringsteen
deep
maycocksean
anitram

Good times :cool:

spongebob-long-list.gif

:cool:

Just get over it

The Guardian January 6th

Donald Trump told an audience at a campaign event on Friday in Iowa to “get over” a deadly shooting at a high school in the state a day earlier.

After offering sympathy and emotional support for the victims of the shooting in Perry, Iowa, and their families, Trump said at the event in Sioux Center: “It’s just horrible – so surprising to see it here. But we have to get over it. We have to move forward.”

Trump’s comments on the shooting that occurred about 36 hours earlier were the first he had made addressing the violence.

He was in my town last night. We passed the banners and such for his event on my way home from work.

Can he just fuck off somewhere already, where nobody ever has to see or hear from him again? What the hell does it have to take to make him go. away.

Nice to see you posting Moonlit Angel

He's a piece of shit narcissist who is completely lacking in human decency and empathy. I can't agree more, he needs to go away and fuck off.

Trump's lawyers argument

Unless you are impeached and then convicted in the Senate, a President can do whatever they want.

Guess Biden should go all out this year then.....

https://x.com/joycewhitevance/status/1746121303424114962?s=46&t=7qdYZNgiKjw76N1iFrMMAw

At this point doesn’t seem likely that there’ll be any trial before the election.

Best case is still the DC case, but that has been held up by Trumps constant appeals / delays to the SC

Definitely see how there’s different justice systems for the wealthy and rest of us.

Delay delay delay if you’ve got the cash.

Or in trumps case you don’t pay your lawyers

Really weak showing for Trump. Barely went above 50% against that field when he’s been the presumptive nominee.

Well I think if these people could actually see the truth about Trump it should be zero percent. So from that point of view it is insane beyond words, and shows what a disaster train wreck this country has become.

Freaking cult

Just saw interviews with people in Iowa who actually said that God is leading Trump and Trump is a God fearing man. Good God

Last edited:
I no longer belong to an organized religion, but I am a believer in God. It disgusts me that Trump and God are intermingled in any way shape or form. But of course that's what cults do, and how cult leaders manipulate.

Somewhere God is saying you have got to be bleeping kidding me Trump supporters, please leave me out of all of it.

Just saw interviews with people in Iowa who actually said that God is leading Trump and Trump is a God fearing man. Good God

That's what truly blows my mind. The dude is a philandering, twice divorced likely rapist, has zero scruples business wise and lies every time he opens his mouth. Probably hasn't set foot in a church in decades (if he had we'd have heard about a church being struck by lightning). Yet these people believe he's some wonderful moral Christian. How uninformed/ignorant can such a large segment of the population be?

That's what truly blows my mind. The dude is a philandering, twice divorced likely rapist, has zero scruples business wise and lies every time he opens his mouth. Probably hasn't set foot in a church in decades (if he had we'd have heard about a church being struck by lightning). Yet these people believe he's some wonderful moral Christian. How uninformed/ignorant can such a large segment of the population be?

Exactly. But as we know many of those types of acts are committed by people who others think are wonderful moral Christians.

Trump is so holy that if he liked little boys instead of little girls, he could have been a great priest.

Fifteen years ago today Barack Obama became the 44th President of the United States. I remember crying when he was declared the winner, and a few times in the following weeks.

Look where we are now. I think it all began with a backlash against Obama that was most definitely at least racially tinged (blatantly seized upon by Trump and others). Anyone else have any other explanations?

Edited to say not racially tinged but RACIST

Last edited:
Last edited:
my problem with a second biden term is that there isn't anybody in the younger generation of the democratic party that he seems invested in endorsing and raising up. maybe he wants to emulate alexander the great and say "to the strongest" or something. there's seemingly no transition plan between the pelosi-biden generation and "the squad" generation or any other dems elected after obama's presidency. kamala harris clearly isn't the answer.

Last edited:
my problem with a second biden term is that there isn't anybody in the younger generation of the democratic party that he seems invested in endorsing and raising up. maybe he wants to emulate alexander the great and say "to the strongest" or something. there's seemingly no transition plan between the pelosi-biden generation and "the squad" generation or any other dems elected after obama's presidency. kamala harris clearly isn't the answer.

It seems the only possibly viable options are at the state/gubernatorial level, nobody in DC. And Mayor Pete. Who should be moved to a higher profile position in a 2nd Biden term should it happen.

Agree with Pete. He should be moved into a higher position if Biden is able to win in 2024.

I think there's talk of Gavin in CA priming himself for 2028. I think he's a talented politician....he also looks like the a politician AI would generate. He would do really well in the coastal "elite" parts of the country, but not sure how he would do in the heartland.

Gov Whitmore in Michigan. Gov Shapiro in PA. Both of these candidates seem to thread the needle of passing progressive policies we all want, yet on the surface appear as a moderate/centered politician

one reason why trump won't be the nominee... money.

the money will flow behind desantis. fox has already begun propping him up.

trump won't be able to spend on his campaign because he's going to need every penny of his fundraising grift towards his legal defense.

he's about to be indicted in New York, possibly as early as tonight.

he faces a $250 million dollar fine in New York State in a civil trial that begins in October - which would also restrict the Trump Organization from operating as a business entity in New York State... a business that, by the way, is in terrible shape and is bleeding money.

his civil rape trial is continuing.

and oh, by the way, there's also Jack Smith and Georgia (although the republicans in Georgia are doing their best to overturn it).

McCarthy is a spineless weasel - but he'll cave eventually. He's already lost McConnell.

he's done. the "he needs the base" line is bullshit. he would have lost the primaries in 2016 if the republicans would have been able to get out of their own way (woah oh oh, ohhhhh). he never topped the mid 30s until it was too late to do anything about it. the republican money won't let that happen again.

everyone is focused on Trump beating DeSantis 42 to 36 in the last polling. they're focused on the wrong thing. it's trump 42, someone else 58. yes - in a head to head trump is currently ahead 51 to 49 - but give it time. once it's clear that the money won't be with them - the other candidates will all prop up desantis in the same way they did biden.

the legal issues will continue to build.

desantis will continue to laugh at trump and talk about his success (i.e. while trump was losing all over the country in 2022, desantis swept to a landslide victory in florida and took over all parts of the state legislature). he has that in his pocket. he actually keeps winning, while trump keeps losing over and over again.

and ultimately trump will have to be out in public again - and everyone will be reminded of what a mush brained invalid he is. he makes biden look downright young and energetic in comparison. trump's a low energy, mind wandering blob who can barely read.

well, uh, never mind.

what's crazy is that trump actually is broke, not really campaigning and spending all of his time and money on his trials, and he is most definetly still a mush brained invalid... and it didn't matter at all.

well, uh, never mind.

what's crazy is that trump actually is broke, not really campaigning and spending all of his time and money on his trials, and he is most definetly still a mush brained invalid... and it didn't matter at all.

Yep, really hoping the Jan 6th case in DC is heavily televised and enough comes out to take enough of a sliver of votes away from people who vote republican and just cannot bring themselves to vote for Trump. That sliver already exists, but might need a bit more just because Biden isn't a popular candidate (though he wasn't in 2020 either).

Yep, really hoping the Jan 6th case in DC is heavily televised and enough comes out to take enough of a sliver of votes away from people who vote republican and just cannot bring themselves to vote for Trump. That sliver already exists, but might need a bit more just because Biden isn't a popular candidate (though he wasn't in 2020 either).

oh i still think trump loses the general. but i (again) underestimated the republican party's ability to shoot themselves in the foot.

Back
Top Bottom