U2's Third Time in South America 2011 - A Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
Happy new year my friends! :wave:

Well, we're going to see U2 for the third time in South America this 2011

First time, it was in 1998, Popmart Tour
Second, 2006, Vertigo Tour

Let's do a brief analysis of what we got those times :heart:

On Popmart, gigs were Rio (1) - Sao Paulo (3) - Buenos Aires (3) - Santiago (1)

Standard setlist was as follows

Main Set: Mofo, I Will Follow, Gone, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Last Night On Earth, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Pride, I Still Haven't Found, All I Want Is You, Staring At The Sun, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Please, Where the Streets Have No Name

Encore(s): Discotheque, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, With or Without You, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Mysterious Ways, One-Wake Up Dead Man

Most notable gig was Santiago, since the rare addition of BAD (instead of AIWIY) and Mothers of The Disappeared. This song was also played in Buenos Aires

Overall was a much better set than 1997 legs, specially compared with NA.

---------

In 2006 the leg was shorter in South America: Sao Paulo (2) - Santiago (1) and Buenos Aires (2)

Main Set: City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Elevation, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day, Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of (acoustic), Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Miss Sarajevo, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One

Encore(s): Zoo Station, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, With or Without You, All Because of You, Norwegian Wood, Original of the Species, 40

Sadly this time, setlist was sub-par compared with other gigs. Most notable the omission of Electric Co, played quite regulary in 2005. Also in 2005 they performed many early classics they didn't attempt in 2006. Missed one of my favourites too (Running To Stand Still, never played in South America) Mothers of the Disappeared is performed again, and the biggest surprise was the inclusion of Love is Blindness in Buenos Aires. (sadly snippet though)

---------

Now in 2011, what we can expect?
Well, the 360º has varied a lot in terms of setlists, just like Vertigo.

First, I really hope the 4 lads take a look at the previous setlists in South America, avoiding repetition and playing songs that haven't been heard here. Yes, I know, perhaps they've played some of those songs dozens of times in NA and Europe, but never here :wave:

For the first time, the band will open in Chile. Then Brazil and finally Argentina. Also, for the first time after gigin' in South America they'll return to the States and Canada.
Promising, exciting times? it seems things will go rather different. We hope so!

Here's the last full-concert played, Perth Australia 19-12-2010

Main Set: Beautiful Day - Rain, New Year's Day, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Elevation, Until the End of the World, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, All I Want Is You - Never Tear Us Apart, Love Rescue Me, Desire, In A Little While, Miss Sarajevo, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy (remix) - Discotheque, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Scarlet, Walk On - You'll Never Walk Alone

Encore(s): One, Amazing Grace - Where the Streets Have No Name - Singin In The Rain, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, With or Without You, Party Girl - Moment of Surrender

What would you add, what would you drop in South America?
My friends from Brazil, Argentina, Chile specially invited to post here. Of course everyone's too :wave:

Feliz año 2011

South America dream list (within remote reason)

Santiago 1 - Out Of Control
Santiago 2 - Mothers Of The Disappeared

Appearance by the Chilean miners

Buenos Aires 1 - No Line On The Horizon
Buenos Aires 2 - All I Want Is You
Buenos Aires 3 - Fast Cars

Appearance by Diego Maradona

Sao Paulo 1 - Desire
Sao Paulo 2 - Gloria
Sao Paulo 3 - Party Girl

Appearance by Pele

Drop:

With Or Without You
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
I Still Haven't Found...
Pride
Mysterious Ways
One
:reject:

South America dream list (within remote reason)

Santiago 1 - Out Of Control
Santiago 2 - Mothers Of The Disappeared

Appearance by the Chilean miners

Buenos Aires 1 - No Line On The Horizon
Buenos Aires 2 - All I Want Is You
Buenos Aires 3 - Fast Cars

Appearance by Diego Maradona

Sao Paulo 1 - Desire
Sao Paulo 2 - Gloria
Sao Paulo 3 - Party Girl

Appearance by Pele

Drop:

With Or Without You
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
I Still Haven't Found...
Pride
Mysterious Ways
One

Maradona?
Pele?
THE MINERS?

ahahahah, what the hell

I'm going for RED HILL MINING TOWN here, plus Mothers of the Disappeared...
but yes, Out Of Control sounds nice

but keep I Still..., One and WOWY

Hell yeah the miners! Are you kidding me??!

They could get on stage and sing with Bono on "Elevation", it would be the greatest moment of the whole damned tour hahaha

"Red Hill Mining Town" is my favorite U2 song, but I don't think they'll ever play it live... Bono can't sing it and Larry can't drum it, supposedly. Though, the local U2 cover band, Zoo Station, does it just fine!

I think the overall is going to be awesome. Of course, there are songs you don't want to listen to/are bored with, and some others you'd LOVE to hear live. The thing is U2 don't come round here very often, so I'll be glad with wahatever they decide to play
:twocents:

Feliz 2011 para todos! Saludos desde Argentina :wave:
(Happy 2011 for you all! Greetings from Argentina)

Hi all :wave:

Well, being Chilean and living in here I have to say the overall impression is that the miners subject has been overexposed by the media. I don't think it could be a great idea at all :hmm:

For the songs proposed so far in South America

- Out of Control: GREAT. Never played before
- Mothers of The Disappeared. Played several times. So not good adding, IMHO
- No Line on The Horizon. Of course never played before
- All I Want Is You. As with MOTD, played several times before.
- Fast Cars. Quite unknown song here
- Desire. If it's full band with energy, GREAT. If it's acoustic filler, no.
- Party Girl. Would be acoustic filler, IMHO

And for the drops. I agree with 'em all. I also include I'll Go Crazy (remix), In a Little While and Vertigo.

What I add? considering never played before in South America: Some of these ones

- Out of Control
- Electric Co
- A Sort of Homecoming or Unforgettable Fire
- Running To Stand Still
- Angel of Harlem
- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
- Stay (faraway so close)
- Walk On

and the return of MOFO :rockon:

- Out of Control - YES
- Electric Co - won't happen
- A Sort of Homecoming or Unforgettable Fire - UF is possible, but don't like this live version
- Running To Stand Still - won't happen
- Angel of Harlem - possible
- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - won't happen (unless Michael Mitchell climbs onstage again to play piano)
- Stay (faraway so close) - YES!
- Walk On - will happen, but boring
- MOFO - won't happen

Haha, you're probably sick of hearing about the miners! If U2 did bring them onstage, I wonder what the crowd reaction would be?

What would you add, what would you drop in South America?

I would drop looking at setlists so closely! I think fans can analyse setlists too much before seeing the concert for the first time, and this can take something away from the enjoyment of the gig. I reckon it's better to go in with no hopes or expectations and just enjoy the songs they play.

But if they do play Out Of Control and Red Hill Mining Town then I'll be very happy :)

Stop telling Bono what YOU want to hear and just enjoy the concert, don't be so fucking greedy

I have my sign ready: "Please play whatever songs you collectively decided on as a group earlier today and are printed on the setlist at your feet!"

Or the 22 people along the centre of the front rail to hold one word each. I'll delegate that to you :)

Gracias / obrigado a Google Translate:

"Por favor, tocar lo que las canciones que colectivamente decidieron como grupo el día de hoy y se imprimen en la lista de canciones a tus pies!"

"Por favor, tocar qualquer música que você decidiu, em conjunto como um grupo mais cedo hoje e são impressas no setlist em seus pés!"

You're gonna need more than 22 people! Perhaps a Rome-style flash mob is required?

Are you trying to embarrass me??

The grammar and syntax in both translations are appalling!

C'mon man, I don't want Bono and Edge thinking I'm some kind of iliterite

Watched 360º DVD last night again, and it was a sub-par performance

Some songs were great, some sounded quite like unrehearsed and uninspired (let's say tired). Some observations

1- Get on Your Boots is clearly not a good opener. City Of Blinding Lights, Mofo, Zoo Station, etc all of them were much better openers

2- Mysterious Ways always sound good. Elevation was kick ass

3- I Still Haven't Found: great singalong. Bono's voice wasn't up there though

4- In a Little While: Filler and boring

5- Until The End of The World: as with Bullet The Blue Sky prior this tour, much overplayed

6- I'll Go Crazy: What about NON remix version?

7- One and With Or Without You. They dropped Pride, why not drop 'em instead?

I have my sign ready: "Please play whatever songs you collectively decided on as a group earlier today and are printed on the setlist at your feet!"

Correct translation in Spanish:

"Por favor toquen las canciones que ustedes decidieron como grupo hoy, y que están impresas en el setlist que tienen a sus pies"

Makes sense. Not word-by-word but in the correct understanding way :wave:

I think that this time I will enjoy them mucha than Vertigo. I went to POPMART (Buenos Aires, 6/2/1998) and it was really an amazing concert. VERTIGO was at least for me, boring. No stage surprises, a predictible setlist (no ELECTRIC CO, no songs from BOY) and Bono´s Voice not in his best form. This time I think we will have and incredible stage, in an incredible stadium, and a band in best form than 5 years ago.

Hope they play the following ones, at least on April 2nd (I have tickets for that date):

I will follow
Breathe
No line on the horizon
Unknown caller
Unforgettable fire
Ultraviolet

And please, take out of the setlist these ones:
In a little while
Miss Sarajevo
New year´s day
Pride

Regards

I don't want MOTD for a third time here...

Can't blame you, honestly. I know it's a region specific song, but the lazy Bono/Edge version they always do is kind of lame. Of course, I feel this way about every song they do just B&E. If they want to do something rare, how about a Pop song, since they always talk about how successful Popmart was in South America.

I actually like MOTD in South America, it's like One Tree Hill in Auckland, always gives goosebumps to the audience. I believe the Popmart Santiago performance was the best one of them all.

Now for songs they should drop is In A Little While, Miss Sarajevo, and Walk On. Replace them with maybe something from Pop and maybe early material from the first 3 albums.

I'm most looking forward to experiencing the intense fans there...
I think the South American crowds will be so fucking loud,
it will make the European crowds sound like ants playing chess

I'm most looking forward to experiencing the intense fans there...
I think the South American crowds will be so fucking loud,
it will make the European crowds sound like ants playing chess

This is precisely the reason that I am making the long journey to Chile and Argentina. I have been wanting to see U2 perform in South America after seeing a bootleg video of the Santiago Popmart show in 1999. Seeing the fanaticism of the crowds in U23D reinforced this desire.

This is precisely the reason that I am making the long journey to Chile and Argentina. I have been wanting to see U2 perform in South America after seeing a bootleg video of the Santiago Popmart show in 1999. Seeing the fanaticism of the crowds in U23D reinforced this desire.

Same here... Also to hear MOTD in person. :shifty:

I was there on Santiago 1998 :wave:

They did play the song in 2006 too, but that version was The Edge on charango! (a traditional instrument from the Andes).

I'm not quite sure if I'd like a third version. Anyway, I really hope they'll film something from Chile this time :sad:

In 1998 Popmart Santiago was way better than Mexico
In 2006 Vertigo Santiago was arguably better than Argentina

Does anyone know if any of the upcoming South American shows will be televised locally? Past shows during PopMart and Vertigo tours have been televised in Brazil, Chile and Argentina. Would be nice to see DVD/HD pro-shot footage of at least one or two of the upcoming shows show up in the torrents. :D

U2ITNOL said:
Does anyone know if any of the upcoming South American shows will be televised locally? Past shows during PopMart and Vertigo tours have been televised in Brazil, Chile and Argentina. Would be nice to see DVD/HD pro-shot footage of at least one or two of the upcoming shows show up in the torrents. :D

Someone in another thread said the first Buenos Aires gig will be televised.

Back
Top Bottom