U218 Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dorian Gray said:

how is this a 'fuck you' to people like us? they gave us these songs... to have held on to them, now THAT would be a 'fuck you'.

So by not releasing this CD, that would be an FU to the fans. That doesn't make sense Dorian Gray.

This CD is another example of the band looking for new fans and forgetting about the passionate ones. Which is the FU to the fans. If they had to release this then why not put something nice for a second disc for the hardcore fans? Outside of Miss Sarajevo and OOTS, the Milan disc has a couple tracks that aren't very special. The whole tracklisting on the CD is aimed for the 'n00bs' as Canadiens said. So what pisses me off is that they band would try to get the passionate fans to buy it for the new song and the disappointing Milan DVD. That's cheap.

Screwtape2 said:

Outside of Miss Sarajevo and OOTS, the Milan disc has a couple tracks that aren't very special. So what pisses me off is that they band would try to get the passionate fans to buy it for the new song and the disappointing Milan DVD. That's cheap.

Well in their defense , precisely milan dvd there are a couple of things special

-Vertigo beginnin a show is pretty wicked , and that particular version of Milan , if they put the combo with Wake Up , that's pretty damn special
- Follow was a Great great perf , and who's talkin is a great critic of IWF live , specially after Boston version , and it's 1st time ever on a Stadium Live shot and full released
- Lookin For never did have any DVD live release , Any
- People will be talkin bout the Combo AIWIY - COBL
- Sometimes was pretty amazin by itself , plus the HI BOB ......

So it hurts a lot the show is cut , and eletric co and others got out , but still is Vertigo Milan , smthin , weeks ago , People includin me were bitchin coz would never see it any , on dvd

So everything has to be about the hardcore/passionate fans?? You'd think Bono and company did give you a nice big "fuck you" right to your face

This CD is out for some simple reasons
To finish their Contract obligations
To have something in the market for Christmas
And to celebrate their 30 th anniversary
and because its a business and they want to earn more money:ohmy: is it really that bad no one will force you to buy it

Well said MOFO, this complaining and bitching about this release is getting old and anoying. if you don't like it then don't buy it! U2 is not pointing a gun at your head to buy it! Geesh give it up people. We are getting a new song and this was never meant for hardcore fan and I being a hardcore fan am quite contempt with getting a new U2 song but i will not bitch until the cows come home like some people on this board!

This bitching is so old its starting to smell like shit!

Not that I care about the bitching or anything.....but honestly, why do we care if Discotheque or Please or The Fly is on there when we all own all the songs anyway? It really doesn't show what the band thinks of the 90s, even if we want to believe that. What it shows is what they think the casual fan knows and would want. If the point of the cd is to get casual fans to buy it, you may as well give them all the songs that they know (and I'd say that yes, Elevation actually is very well known here in the US, absolutely much more so than The Fly).

I'm just happy to have Window, and then OOTS and MS on dvd.

2 things - yes it's for casual fans, a business decision, a contract ender, a christmas $ maker. Yes, don't like it, don't buy it. And I won't. However, if it is purely business and $, it would have been a smart move by them to put something on there to rope in the hardcores as well as the casuals. Maybe Milan is enough? Not for me, but probably for many/most.

Secondly, I think my disappointment with the tracklist IS because it's a first taste for many new fans. You'd assume most of these are people who have been introduced to the band via ATYCLB or the Bomb, maybe just by one song, and I think it's a shame they are getting such a vanilla history of the group. "This is U2!!! I give you ELEVATION!!!" Awesome. I understand the singles concept of the CD, and accept what is on there, just a disappointment that thousands upon thousands will buy it and get their first taste into the depths of U2, and they get to think U2 are Elevation and Sometimes, not The Fly and Stay.

Oh cool, are we bitching about this?

Blah blah blah! Rant rant rant! Yammer yammer yammer! Self-righteous soapboxing and a few good snarks for good measure.

There, that's my two cents. Carry on.

:sexywink:

I personally am soooo excited about the Milan DVD!!!! I can't wait to see 'Miss Sarajevo' and this fabled version of 'Original' I keep hearing about. Same with 'With or Without You'. Is it true this version has some of Bono's best vocals of the tour? Seriously, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas with the Milan stuff.....

*Jumps around waiving Loris hands in the air*

The Slow Loris said:
I personally am soooo excited about the Milan DVD!!!! I can't wait to see 'Miss Sarajevo' and this fabled version of 'Original' I keep hearing about.

Me too! :hyper:

Vertigo(Chicago - Milan - HTDAABDVD)
Follow(80/90 - Mexico - Boston - Milan)
Elevation(Boston - Chicago - Milan)
ISHFWILF(R&H - 80/90 - Mexico - Milan)
All I Want Is You(R&H - 80/90 - Mexico - Slane - Milan)
COBL(Chicago - Milan)
Sometimes(Chicago - Milan - HTDAATBDVD)
Sarajevo(90/00 - Milan)
OOTS(Chicago - Milan)
WOWY(R&H - 80/90 - Sydney - Mexico - Boston - Slane - Chicago - Milan)

Is this a correct history of all the official video releases of songs on the Milan DVD?

It's the 8th official release of WOWY, 7th live version!!!

u2fp

The Slow Loris said:
I personally am soooo excited about the Milan DVD!!!! I can't wait to see 'Miss Sarajevo' and this fabled version of 'Original' I keep hearing about. Same with 'With or Without You'. Is it true this version has some of Bono's best vocals of the tour? Seriously, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas with the Milan stuff.....

*Jumps around waiving Loris hands in the air*

having edge on guitar for OOTS is something special.

Screwtape2 said:

So by not releasing this CD, that would be an FU to the fans. That doesn't make sense Dorian Gray.

This CD is another example of the band looking for new fans and forgetting about the passionate ones. Which is the FU to the fans. If they had to release this then why not put something nice for a second disc for the hardcore fans? Outside of Miss Sarajevo and OOTS, the Milan disc has a couple tracks that aren't very special. The whole tracklisting on the CD is aimed for the 'n00bs' as Canadiens said. So what pisses me off is that they band would try to get the passionate fans to buy it for the new song and the disappointing Milan DVD. That's cheap.

you missunderstood me. I meant the fact that they wrote these songs and shared them with the world is something to be thankful for. I'm not talking this singles collection.

that said, I'm buying it for two new songs, a dvd of unreleased material, and the 50 page accompanying book.

which reminds me of that little U2 by U2 book. awful nice of them to take the time to put that together for us fans...

:corn:

If getting a new song, 80's videos on DVD, a booklet and 10 songs from an unreleased DVD isn't enough for the "real" dieheard fans, that's too bad.

I love how people think that U2 releasing a CD is a "fuck you" to thier fans. God give me a break. People say some stupid shit on this forum but this takes the cake. Too bad that U2 has to have some retarded fans that are so self centered to think this way:|

Screwtape2 said:

Ya know I was WAAAAYYYYYY more pissed with the Boston DVD , with One , M ways and Pride bein cut .......

And other stupid things like this , like not releasing a full live cd , or Leaving out Ultraviolet , Wild Horses and other great stuff from the DVD

Hell I even get pissed with Edge playin One on a Les Paul :shrug:

But coz they are releasing something ??? C'mon , we are not in a bloody dictatorship that everyone HAS to buy it

In the end of the day think like , I will buy it with the price 19-20 dollars

Put Saints and Windows like in a single , which could cost 7 bucks - Plus Milan around 13 dollars , That's it

Besides if they surprise and put thinks like , Tomb Raider mix of Elv. Now that would even greater

And again OOTS from Milan is EEPPPIIICCC :drool: :drool: Fantastic they put it on

Niceman said:

In America, I'd say that it is as unknown as a U2 single could be...

elevation is played on a regular basis every day in every sports arena throughout north america... be it for baseball, basketball, hockey or football.

it is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more recognizeable, just for the WOOOOOOs alone, to the non-u2 fan, let alone the casual one.

the non-u2 fan may not know the name of the song, but they know the song. i highly doubt many non-u2 fans know the fly. and after all, this comp is for non-u2 fans, not us.

Elevation is far more known then The Fly as it is played in sporting events around the globe. The Fly is a hit among U2 fans but this CD is geared towards general music fans.

This compilation should have been called - How to Suck Up to the US Market. This compilation moves them even closer into classic rock territory.

Not sure why U2 want to rewrite history and eliminate any song that showed why they were the most important band of the 1990's. To eliminate Discotheque (which was a big hit around the world), Lemon, Fly and Miss Sarajevo and include all of their safe tracks is not representing the entire U2 story.

I honestly think that the only band around that does not suck up to corporations and have kept their integrity no matter what the consequences are is Radiohead. They still carry that excitement of coming out with music that is fresh and experimental. They are even financing the recording of their new album to ensure that they have complete control over the end product. They could care less about hits or making music that is commercially accessible.

U2 used to have that excitement with Zooropa, Passengers and Pop but gave that up to become rock n roll dinosaurs in 2000.

I also must comment that some of the "hardcore" fans on this board dont even own all the studio albums so I dont know how hardcore that makes them.

soctheo said:
This compilation should have been called - How to Suck Up to the US Market. This compilation moves them even closer into classic rock territory.

Actually, they're sucking up to the Canadian Market. Everyone knows that. :tsk:

And what's this? They're making a 3-D Imax movie next year? Tsssk, what a bad time to be a U2 fan.

Yeah they dont do anything for the harcore fan do they, one of very few bands out there that actually put bsides out, have some of the best tours in history, push technology with different forms of filming, put out a version of the CD that "passionate" fans should enjoy but fuck they dont ever do enough for the hardcore fan. Bono should be on the telephone every day to me telling me what U2 accomplished today and it has to be up to my standards or man they arent doing enough for the hardcore fan.

U2girl said:
:corn:

If getting a new song, 80's videos on DVD, a booklet and 10 songs from an unreleased DVD isn't enough for the "real" dieheard fans, that's too bad.

my thoughts exactly.

Here's an idea.
What if they're releasing a diferent compilation in each country?

I was looking at the Universal Music Poland website for some info about U218 and look at this:

http://www.universalmusic.pl/?atype=item&view=1&id=5469

U2 18 (wersja polska) - that's (Polish version)

Of course this could mean anything... a simple mistake or simply just that there will be something written in Polish in the booklet...
But what if that means diferent tracklist?:ohmy:

bathiu said:
Here's an idea.
What if they're releasing a diferent compilation in each country?

I was looking at the Universal Music Poland website for some info about U218 and look at this:

http://www.universalmusic.pl/?atype=item&view=1&id=5469

U2 18 (wersja polska) - that's (Polish version)

Of course this could mean anything... a simple mistake or simply just that there will be something written in Polish in the booklet...
But what if that means diferent tracklist?:ohmy:

David Bowie did this with his Best Ofs. Neat thing really. Feature the hits as they were in any given country. The cover was identical all over the world, except for the flag in the corner to represent the country. There is obviously a core tracklisting that is present, but 2 songs might be exclusive to a specific country.

That's quite alright, I guess.
Weird how they kept The Fly off both this and 1990-2000 Best of Album, though.

Back
Top Bottom