@U2 reports on Spidey 2 & U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobonofo

Acrobat
NEW @U2 U2 SPINNING A WEB?
February 23, 2004
posted by: m2
After a few weeks of chasing down rumors about U2's plans to do a song for a "major superhero movie" this summer, we've reached a point where we're confident in reporting that -- if it happens -- it will be for the Spiderman 2 film, not for Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow as was previously suggested on various web sites.

We've received reports (which we've been unable to confirm to date) that Bono met with a high-ranking member of the Spiderman 2 production team in New York City on or about October 10-11 of last year. (The report is immediately credible because Bono was in New York for appearances related to the AIDS/Africa campaign on October 8th and 9th.) As we're told, Bono was shown a very early and unfinished version of Spiderman 2 at Sony headquarters, and left the screening very enthusiastic about what he saw. We're told he even sung a few lines of the song he thought would be appropriate as the movie's theme.

Beyond that, we've also heard two other rumors about U2's possible association with a major superhero film this summer, and both focus on Spiderman 2. One of those rumors, however, suggests that the band hasn't committed to contributing a song yet, and wants to focus on their own album before committing time to the movie soundtrack.

The movie, by the way, will be out in the U.S. on July 2nd.

The only U2 thing related to superheroes is the Edge doing the theme for the new Batman animated series. Couple that with U2's work with the Batman Forever movie, and the stories from local Dublin comic stores that Bono drops by every now and then to pick up a Batman comic - then you see a pattern that U2 prefers to work with the DC/Warner superheroes over the Marvel ones. While U2 did contribute to Lara Croft, she was neither Marvel or DC. And considering Edge's recent tie-up with Batman, I highly doubt U2 will switch sides and work for a rival company.

Besides, U2 would never release a high-profile single for a very very high profile film sequel the same year they will release their album. It will be bad for them from a marketing standpoint. The did release TGBHF the year of ATYCLB but the MDH film was super low key.

The only involvement with U2 and superheroes will be Edge doing the Batman animated series theme this for this summer. The only possibility of U2 contributing to the Spiderman soundtrack would be if the film is released a few weeks after the album or the album won't be out until middle next year (which is quite likely in my mind).

Cheers,

J

i hope you're right jick. let's hope that they leave this crap of superhero blockbusters (plus clips with the latest special effects) for the bands and singers that need them, and keep focused on the good work that I hope they're doing now with lillywhite. What the world needs from u2 is good music, not this.

Back
Top Bottom