U2 in Australia - Official Countdown Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, getting seriously excited here in Sydney, but have made a rather spontaneous decision to fly to Brissie on Tues afternoon and back again EARLY on wed morn to get to work - don't spose anyone has or knows of 1 or 2 spare tickets?? e-bay is doing my head in, but that is where I'll buy them if I have to. Just thought it was worth a shot listing here - or on another forum. Any suggestions? Ta muchly.

Without reading through every page in this post and some others, has there been any posting of what songs U2 has been rehearsing from anyone who has been down at the stadium to listen?

Axver, these inner circle tickets or whatever - are they from the presale, or just randomly given out with all GA tickets?

How did you find out about the 1000 inner circle tickets?

I was talking to a security guy at ANZ yesterday and he said they haven't done a 'proper' soundcheck yet. Just a CD played through the sound system Friday morning.

Uh, who the hell got the idea that Electrical Storm was rehearsed? Do you people not read? It was first mentioned in a post saying that it would be appropriate to be played at one show because the weather forecast is predicting an electrical storm during the concert.

ELECTRICAL STORM WAS NOT REHEARSED!!!

(However, it was rehearsed prior to the European leg over a year ago.)

Friday November 4th, 2006:

Arrived at the stadium at 3:30. Just as I arrive, the band's helicopter arrives! Bono, Larry and Adam pop out and get into a car. (Edge had arrived earlier). The car passes our group and Bono opens the door, has a chat and signs a few autographs. I managed to pass my copy of Bhoy through to Adam (next to Bono) and got a signature. Larry sat in the back and said nothing!!

That was all the action for many, many hours. I was hoping to hear the band rehearsing but apparently they are rehearsing inside the stadium in a big room where we cant hear anything!

At about 6ish a security guard came out and brought a big box of cold water for us "compliments of the band". (!!)

At 8:30ish, Scotty from the band's security came out to chat to us about etiquette and the like if the band do decide to come out. He told us some cool U2-related stories about past shows.

He also mentioned the band would rehearse on the stage from Sunday, anytime from 2pm onwards. A FULL DRESS REHEARSAL will take place on Monday night sometime. However, on Sunday and Monday, the entire site will be locked down and we will get nowhere near the stadium!

He also said earlybirds will line up on the field adjacent the stadium during the day. And apparently only 2500 people are allowed inside the first area! There will be no bands handed out, we will get stamped....on the neck!!

THEN! The band emerged at around 10:30. Bono's car drove out. It was raining at this stage. He stopped and open the door and motioned up (about 15 people by now) to come over to the car. He said he couldnt get out on doctor's order in case he got sick! I got my Boy cover signed by him and a quick photo or two in. He held my wife's hand and called her "darling". She is still swooning!!

THEN!! Edge's car came out and he got out and shook everyones hand and had a little chat. He said it was all going along well. He was lovely, calm and humble. I just wanted to give him a hug!!

Then they were off...apparently Adam and Larry snuck out when Bono stopped. Im spent...

Sorry if some of this is posted already!! :drool:

I am starting to get excited now! I have been waiting or this since I was 11 years old and its only 2 weeks away! Anyone got the scoop as to where i could meet the band in Melbourne?

Wooohoooo!!! I got myself a reasonably priced ticket this morning, have booked my "spontaneity" flight to Brissie. Here we go - just three more sleeps...

Axver said:
(However, it was rehearsed prior to the European leg over a year ago.)

If you count Edge messing around with the opening riff and Adam hitting a few of the bass lines rehearsing it, you are correct. Otherwise it was not.

Blue Room said:

If you count Edge messing around with the opening riff and Adam hitting a few of the bass lines rehearsing it, you are correct. Otherwise it was not.

Yeah, those folk in Brussels were just hearing things, they probably weren't even real U2 fans. Just like the people who didn't hear Mofo. :|

well I may have only got to chuck a peace sign to Adam Clayton today and call out
"you are so beautiful" ( he had on his natty shorts and was off to the gym) but I met so many truly good-hearted people waiting in the rain.The fellowship was palpable,it was very uplifting. My feet and lower back are done for though. Who cares :) Who knows what tomorrow brings.......with bells on.
I want a job as a gardener at the Versace. I almost missed seing Adam as I was enjoying checking out the garden and paving so much **ideas**
Happy :clap:

:wave: Hi cass!

Congrats to the daughter in law meeting Larry and Bono, and of course your own mini meet-and-greet with Adam. (did he hear you call out?)

:up: Almost a prophetic line on that jacket ... hope freeway won't go over Gustovox's grave. Do the residents of the area have a say in where the freeway will go?

I entered U2.com's competition for Hawaii so fingers crossed for both of us huh?

Wow Axver, 7 shows - is that every Australian/N. Zealand show? :D

:rockon: muneno et al.

Kite :hmm: I wonder how they will rework this song.

U2girl said:
Wow Axver, 7 shows - is that every Australian/N. Zealand show? :D

Nearly! I'm not going to Adelaide or the first Sydney show. For a while, I was thinking of going to the first Sydney show, but I felt that was a bit excessive and I'd rather Sydney II and III.

Kite :hmm: I wonder how they will rework this song.

Yeah, that intrigued me. Perhaps they're redoing the beginning to avoid needing the taped strings? Maybe they'll play it tomorrow or Monday and one of us in Brisbane can report back on how it sounds. :wink:

Anyone been to the stadium today and got any news? It was a bit of a dreary day so I wouldn't be surprised if few people went! I'll probably head down tomorrow though.

Interesting bit from Edge in the "U2 in the news again" thread in this forum -

Guitarist, Dave "The Edge" Evans says they haven't finalised their set for their Aussie gigs, "it'll take us a while, it'll take us a few shows. We have a few ideas in the works but nothing I can tell you right now".

:hmm: A different set for rest of leg 4?

U2girl said:
Just hopping in to say congrats to the Australian, Japan, and New Zealand fans (and all the others that are flying in from ROW) that will get to see U2 live again.

How many shows do you all plan to see?

Im gonna see all 5 Sydney and Melbourne shows!!:drool:

muneno kodoo said:
Heading down now, will let you know... :D

Cool! :up:

U2girl said:
Interesting bit from Edge in the "U2 in the news again" thread in this forum -

Guitarist, Dave "The Edge" Evans says they haven't finalised their set for their Aussie gigs, "it'll take us a while, it'll take us a few shows. We have a few ideas in the works but nothing I can tell you right now".

:hmm: A different set for rest of leg 4?

That caught my eye too. I suspect that it might be that the band is trying to work in more Elevation songs as we missed out on that tour - the report on Kite would appear to solidify that.

I would expect that the core setlist will remain the same - e.g. War trio, Africa trio, Zoocore. But I wonder what adjustments they are going to make? Maybe they will bring in some Pop stuff, to make up for Popmart skipping NZ? Maybe the new U218 material? It's exciting!

The set i think will be a bit different from South America. I think we will see more ATYCLB songs (stuck, kite, maybe even IALW and Walk on... they both have been played this tour) and quite possibly both of the new songs as well.
Its been reported that the band were keen to play ATYCLB tracks in Oz.... but the fact that South America and Mexico didnt get any extra ATYCLB tracks made me doubt this, for the elevation tour did not stop in those places either.
But reports of Kite being rehearsed open up the debate all over again.... I think we could see as many as 4 ATYCLB tracks in the set for the remaining Australian shows.

for something completely different. The german U2 fan site claims that U2 are rehearsing at Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre. Anyone out there who could confirm this?

Axver said:

I would expect that the core setlist will remain the same - e.g. War trio, Africa trio, Zoocore. But I wonder what adjustments they are going to make? Maybe they will bring in some Pop stuff, to make up for Popmart skipping NZ? Maybe the new U218 material? It's exciting!

Yes, basics will stay.

I wonder if any Zooropa and Pop material might make it down under?

all the talk at the Versace today suggested they were doing a full rehearsal today.
Yes maja, Adam heard me. He thought about coming over but it was just so wet in the rain. I'm glad Bono didn't come out. I was so worried he'd get a cold or sore throat. Adam is like Ali Hewson, he is getting bettre looking with age. Very sauave. i wish that happened to all of us.
Bono's bodyguard John was wandering around and Mutto from Australian Idol got to go inside and meet at least Edge in the foyer.
I cannot believe they are so close. I will be back there today...bearing gifts. Some of my precious old record sleeves and photos got very wet today. There were so many false alarms that they were about to appear. it was funny really. I had a ball. the management at the Versace are very cool about it all. Main thing is I met such a lovely bunch of U2 fans...blessed to be a witness :)

**apologies for my ongoing rendition of some of your favourite tunes**
can't help myself, bad habits :D

shortfuse said:
The set i think will be a bit different from South America. I think we will see more ATYCLB songs
I agree
From 1984, the elevation tour it's the only tour that australians never seen.......so maybe they put in the show something from it like Kite, but also Walk On that it's also in U218

my thought

wtonis said:
for something completely different. The german U2 fan site claims that U2 are rehearsing at Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre. Anyone out there who could confirm this?

You know, if you'd read any of the last, oh, 100-200 posts on this thread, your question would have been answered. Multiple posters on this thread, myself included, have been down to the stadium and reported on happenings there.

U2girl said:

Yes, basics will stay.

I wonder if any Zooropa and Pop material might make it down under?

I think the only Zooropa tune to really have a chance is The First Time now and then. I'm hoping for Pop on the basis of New Zealand being skipped, but I don't expect it, especially not after it got shunned from U218. Maybe we'll get The Sweetest Thing though? I wonder how indicative U218's tracklisting is of the upcoming set.

Not much action down at ANZ. Great to have a chance to scope out the venue, meet some other fans and SEE THE STAGE ALL LIT UP!! :D

Left at about 10.40pm due to no champagne urban assault vehicle sightings on a bit of a wander. Not sure if they were there earlier, or the no rehearsals today rumour was on the money.

My dreams tonight are gonna be all about The First Time live :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom