U2 donating profits from tour to Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Just read this - a great gesture:

26.6.05 : U2 TO DONATE MILLIONS TO AFRICA

Irish rockers U2 will donate $6 million (GBP3.3 million) of their own money towards eliminating poverty in Africa.

BONO, ADAM CLAYTON, THE EDGE and LARRY MULLEN, who will be performing at the London leg of next Saturday's (02JUL05) LIVE 8 in Hyde Park, will each make a donation from profits of their current VERTIGO tour.

A source says, "The band and their manager PAUL McGUINNESS are giving about one million euro ($1,200,000/GBP665,000) each.

"It would seem hypocritical if they were asking people to help the charity effort and weren't doing something themselves.

"But their personal gesture is not something they are going to boost."

Last edited:
beau2ifulday said:
Just read this - a great gesture:

26.6.05 : U2 TO DONATE MILLIONS TO AFRICA

Irish rockers U2 will donate $6 million (GBP3.3 million) of their own money towards eliminating poverty in Africa.

BONO, ADAM CLAYTON, THE EDGE and LARRY MULLEN, who will be performing at the London leg of next Saturday's (02JUL05) LIVE 8 in Hyde Park, will each make a donation from profits of their current VERTIGO tour.

A source says, "The band and their manager PAUL McGUINNESS are giving about one million euro ($1,200,000/GBP665,000) each.

"It would seem hypocritical if they were asking people to help the charity effort and weren't doing something themselves.

"But their personal gesture is not something they are going to boost."

What is the news source?

MrBrau1 said:
Sadly, it's not going to shut anyone up.
Probably not -- No matter how much they donate, people are gonna say, "6 million? Is that all? They're, like, billionaires aren't they? They should give all their money!"

Oh well. I'm still proud of them.

:applaud: Hooray for U2 and Paul!

It doesn't matter if this knowledge shuts people up or not.

There is a higher power in the Universe that rewards U2 for all that they have done and continue to do.

If you criticize someone, just make sure that you are doing more than they are. Otherwise, take your mouth and give it a kiss (as Bono would say).

EXCELLENT NEWS! :up:

Thats good. I like the cause and think Bono does a great job. Besides the fact of him actually going there and physically helping them with is the best think anyone can do, Have U2 ever donated money like this to the cause?

mkdominatr said:
Thats good. I like the cause and think Bono does a great job. Besides the fact of him actually going there and physically helping them with is the best think anyone can do, Have U2 ever donated money like this to the cause?

I believe they do regularly just they don't like to publicise it...Bono said recently in an interview that charity is a private thing for U2 but justice is public...

I believe they donate a lot (i mean Ali she has her own charrty i would not be surprised if U2 were the biggest contributers to it) they just dont make much of fuss about it....as has been sad they would get criticised just as much if they were always donating to charity publicly as people would just say its them looking for publicity..its a no win situation for them:huh:

I'm just waiting on some of the members here to find this thread and tell us that this is just a publicity stunt whose motive is greed.

And yes, ignorance abounds.

:up: :up: to the boys, tho' it won't surprise me in the slightest to start reading comments such as that 2Hearts! :mad:

u2granny said:
I wouldn't be surprised to learn some day that they have donated many times that amount privately.

I agree 100% with this
plus a bunch of other charities that we will never know about

LJT said:

I believe they do regularly just they don't like to publicise it...Bono said recently in an interview that charity is a private thing for U2 but justice is public...

I believe they donate a lot (i mean Ali she has her own charrty i would not be surprised if U2 were the biggest contributers to it) they just dont make much of fuss about it....as has been sad they would get criticised just as much if they were always donating to charity publicly as people would just say its them looking for publicity..its a no win situation for them:huh:

Good to know. I dont understand how they would be criticised for showing that. I mean i think thats an awesome thing and shold be commended, but maybe they dont want the accolades from that.

Meghan said:
The right hand shouldn't know what the left hand is doing......

Bono has said this in the past (quoting Jesus), and it basically means that generosity with your finances is most pure when it is a private matter.

Btw, Chizip, I know you're just joking. I'm not writing this as a response to your post. I just wanted to further clarify what Meghan said.

Be proud of your fellow U2 fans, they are cynical, downers, who could find fault with a cure for Cancer.

I posted this news on atu2.com, and got this response right away:

"Again this article is really not that believable because they are using the word "source" and the comments about the exact dollars certainly does not sound like something U2 would ever say.

But if they ever did donate some of the profits from the Vertigo tour..I say good for them,,they never have to do a press conference or say the exact dollar amounts, but I think saying something like "Some of the proceeds from this tour goes to" such and such is okay.. This money is from their business, the U2 corporation, not their personal wealth..It's like McDonald's donating some of their money from Big Macs to charity"

Back
Top Bottom