U2.com's latest subscription "gift"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For Lucifer’s Hands, I’d be willing to believe they didn’t find a performance they were happy with. It was a stroke of luck that there was such a shit hot performance of The Crystal Ballroom to include.

OL is more of a mystery, it’s not a complicated song, and they did it enough times for there to have been a good one.

https://www.u2.com/news/title/experience--innocence--live-in-berlin
Announcing our 2020 subscription offer and annual limited edition gift - 'U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE - LIVE IN BERLIN', a unique celebration on DVD of the 2018 e+i tour shot on the closing night at Berlin's Mercedes-Benz Arena.

This film captures the entire e+i show - running at two hours and twenty two minutes - from the unforgettable opening burst of 'The Blackout' and 'Lights of Home' through live classics such as 'Gloria' and 'Beautiful Day', into tracks born in Berlin like 'The Fly' and 'Stay (Faraway So Close)' and reaching a crescendo with 'Love Is Bigger' and '13 (There Is A Light)'.

'U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE – LIVE IN BERLIN', directed by Matt Askem, is performed in the round with the same innovative production as its companion iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour which 'reinvented the arena show' (Rolling Stone) two years before. The film follows the action as it moves between multiple performance areas and the groundbreaking state of the art 100 foot LED screen suspended above the arena-length walkway.

A 75 minute TV edit, curated by the band, kicked off 2020 for viewers around the world and now U2.com subscribers can take home the entire show - twenty three songs over 140 minutes. "When it comes to performing live,” Variety said about the e+i tour, "the band remains the gold (and platinum) standard."

If the 2015 film 'U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Live in Paris' was the definitive live document of 2014's Songs of Innocence album, this new film is the definitive live document of 2017's Songs of Experience album.

The DVD is accompanied by a booklet of exclusive photos by tour photographer and produced by the band’s long time graphic designer Shaughn McGrath, with creative direction by Gavin Friday.

If you've already renewed your subscription for 2020, this is the gift that will be dispatched to you. If you renew your existing subscription now, 12 months will be added to your existing term and you will also be sent the DVD.

This limited edition release is already in production for 2020 U2.com subscribers and during February we will mail all subscribers with details on physical dispatch times.

Wow so the damn DVD is now a suscriber especial? And is there even a HD option? I see no mention of Blu-Ray anyway........I'm not paying 50 to get a damn DVD!

I've gone all digital as well.......so my preferred choice would've been an iTunes digital version. A Blu-Ray I can tolerate as I do have a Xbox One X. But a DVD? No way! I am not getting a 480 interlaced video thing (all their previous DVD releases were interlaced as far as I recall, which is even lower quality) in 2020. Wouldn't get it for $10, no way I'll get it for 50.

Shame because I even was looking forward to the first half of the show, as other than Acrobat I didn't like the second half too much, but guess an audio rip will do!

I'm glad to get it on physical media. As a collector I don't give a shit on streaming . Almost everything is to see through YT these days... It's more on the packaging, The extra's and.....suburb quality these days..... but a dvd for this concert shot in 4K???!!!?????????????????? What about a dvd with exclusives and save the concert for commercial purposes blu ray!

I think they have made the worst possible decision they could have. Putting themselves into a corner:
- if they commercially release a Blu Ray, or Digital HD version, then fan club members will complain because they got an inferior version for 50 (and rightfully so!)
- if they don’t, well then everyone will complain as we only got an inferior version with subpar video and audio by 2020 standards (2010 standards actually)

Who makes this kind of decisions? the logical option would have been just to let member choose if they want Blu-Ray or DVD at the time of renewal, and throw a digital HD version with it, but that would’ve made too much sense!

If they were short of ideas for fan club gifts... they also filmed the DC show, back when E&I had the Love Is All... intro, Staring at the Sun, Desire, American Soul, and the I&E songs. A dvd of that to the fanclub and a 4k Berlin show for everyone... that would have been much better.

Not been on here for some time but are people really moaning about this?, it will obviously be made available at some point commercially in blu ray etc but can’t get my head around people whining about this? Many don’t resubscribe for the gift alone.

One of the reason I decided to stay away from here is because of the constant bitching and moaning, and it seems a few others have done the same. Sad as this used to be a fun place once upon a time

Are you really defending that in 2020 they’re releasing a DVD of a show filmed in 4K, and bundling it with a 50 USD subscription? Even if they make it commercially available in 4K/HD then it becomes a really lousy fan club gift as then they’re double dipping the members by just giving them the inferior version for over 2X The price

No wonder why the keep pulling up these things!

Last edited:
Are you really defending that in 2020 they’re releasing a DVD of a show filmed in 4K, and bundling it with a 50 USD subscription? Even if they make it commercially available in 4K/HD then it becomes a really lousy fan club gift as then they’re double dipping the members by just giving them the inferior version for over 2X The price

No wonder why the keep pulling up these things!

Have never subscribed to the fan club to receive the gift though?, always used it as a way of getting tickets easier, and compared to some of their other efforts it’s actually a decent one. Most gaming consoles still play DVDs so really not sure on the issue

Modern consoles also play 4K Blu-Ray (Xbox One X or S) or Fulld HD Blu-Ray ( PS4).......but 2000 era consoles played DVD (PS2). Technology has quite evolved since 2000, and if you try watching a standard DVD on a modern TV Set it will look hideous. This is acceptable for older concerts that were shot this way as it was what was available at the time, but for a modern concert shot in 4K it is ridiculous in 2020. And that's only regarding Video quality, as DVD also misses on HD Audio tracks. This means even bootleg copies sourced from the broadcast will have higher quality than what is officially being made available to the fans.

And yes to your point, I join the club based on the subscription gift or if there is some tour likely in my area. There is not enough additional content that I find compelling, even some free subscriptions provide more content to their fans. Since they're not on tour and there is no way I see them touring in my country during the next 12 months, indeed the only incentive for me to renew is the gift, and I refuse shell out 50 for a product with inferior quality than bootlegged copies. And to your other point, if they indeed make it commercially available in HD, then you will see even more "whining", as fans shelled 50 for a shitty version when a superior version is available for less or even included in a streaming service.

Many people renew based on the subscription gift, given that the rest of the subscription content is quite scarce.

Have never subscribed to the fan club to receive the gift though?, always used it as a way of getting tickets easier, and compared to some of their other efforts it’s actually a decent one. Most gaming consoles still play DVDs so really not sure on the issue

How about for fans outside of the US and Europe who go through ten subscription cycles for the privilege of buying tickets?

Can you honestly say if you lived in Australia that you’re ok with this as a gift for $50?

Not been on here for some time but are people really moaning about this?, it will obviously be made available at some point commercially in blu ray etc but can’t get my head around people whining about this? Many don’t resubscribe for the gift alone.

One of the reason I decided to stay away from here is because of the constant bitching and moaning, and it seems a few others have done the same. Sad as this used to be a fun place once upon a time
By making this the gift I think it's fairly clear that they have no intention of ever actually releasing it commercially. What other gifts later became commercial releases?

I hope they also give people the ability to stream it or download behind a pay wall, or at the very least provide a download link for the audio. Otherwise this is more or less a $50 coaster (considering that there will be no tickets this year).

A straight standard definition DVD release is lazy AF, as the kids say.

By making this the gift I think it's fairly clear that they have no intention of ever actually releasing it commercially. What other gifts later became commercial releases?

I hope they also give people the ability to stream it or download behind a pay wall, or at the very least provide a download link for the audio. Otherwise this is more or less a $50 coaster (considering that there will be no tickets this year).

A straight standard definition DVD release is lazy AF, as the kids say.

Well the usual sources are saying there will be an announcement in a couple of weeks re the commercial release, we will see I guess

Well the usual sources are saying there will be an announcement in a couple of weeks re the commercial release, we will see I guess

If there is a commercial release, then the Fan Club gift is lousier than ever, as it would just be the worst available version as a "exclusive" for fans for 50, when the other versions are better and potentially cost less than half.

See what I meant when I say this decision is really stupid? No matter what they do now, the choice of release as a Fan Club gift in DVD format is stupid, and now they are against the corner. Only option is to actually give fanclub members a choice between Blu-Ray and DVD, or bundle them both in the same package, but obviously this won't happen, as the people running the club seem to be out of touch with the fanbase or even the current standard media releases.

Last edited:
I think they have made the worst possible decision they could have. Putting themselves into a corner:
- if they commercially release a Blu Ray, or Digital HD version, then fan club members will complain because they got an inferior version for 50 (and rightfully so!)
- if they don’t, well then everyone will complain as we only got an inferior version with subpar video and audio by 2020 standards (2010 standards actually)

Who makes this kind of decisions? the logical option would have been just to let member choose if they want Blu-Ray or DVD at the time of renewal, and throw a digital HD version with it, but that would’ve made too much sense!

Yeah, this is a really strange decision. The fact that it sounds like everything is on a single DVD indicates minimal extras and probably just mediocre DD 5.1 sound. It's also possible this will be in stores the same time it starts shipping which would suck for subscribers who would be paying a premium price for a commercially available release before they even get theirs shipped (going by typical U2.com processing time).

And I'm still waiting for the last "U2.com Gift" going on 4 months.

I'm normally a defender of the fan club. I pay my renewal every year. And while there are some stinkers, they've also given out some good and underrated stuff. And the tickets are a bonus. Generally speaking it gets shit on too often here. It's not the best fan club around, but not nearly as bad as some seem to think.

This would be a shitty gift.

A low quality physical media video release?

Gee, thanks guys.

We'll see if this booklet is anything worth discussing, and I'll hold out hope that they release downloadable audio. Otherwise this is a complete waste of time.

Otherwise this is a complete waste of time.

Not a COMPLETE waste of time as it will provide a good CD Quality audio track that can be ripped (if they include PCM audio, which they have in previous DVDs)........but I'd rather get that from somewhere than spending 50 for it.

Not a COMPLETE waste of time as it will provide a good CD Quality audio track that can be ripped (if they include PCM audio, which they have in previous DVDs)........but I'd rather get that from somewhere than spending 50 for it.
Sure I imagine someone out there still has a DVD player in their computer who is also technologically savvy enough to rip the audio.

Sure I imagine someone out there still has a DVD player in their computer who is also technologically savvy enough to rip the audio.

Hopefully, not me tough, haven't had access to a laptop with an Optical Drive for ages.....last U2 DVD I ripped by myself probably was Live from Milan....

This is puzzling. I honestly dont know what I would do with a DVD. Might as well be VHS. I guess I’ll put it in the box next to season 2 of Mad Men and Elevation live from Boston

Back
Top Bottom