U2.com's latest subscription "gift"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this would be impractical, but I think it’d be neat if they had different sets sent out at random which varied the songs they usually varied each night (so some IE sets have Electric Co and Still Havent Found, some have Out Of Control and One, a few lucky people get Bad...).

I’m predicting no more than 12 songs per disc. Probably something like this. I’d normally say they’d troll us my omitting Acrobat but it’s such a big part of the show.

Miracle
Vertigo
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Raised By Wolves
Until The End Of The World
Invisible
Every Breaking Wave
Bullet The Blue Sky
Where The Streets Have No Name
City Of Blinding Lights

Blackout
Lights Of Home
Beautiful Day
Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Elevation
Desire
Acrobat
You’re The Best Thing About Me
Get Out Of Your Own Way
American Soul
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
13 (There Is A Light)

This gift sounds great. I'm mildly pleased. :up:

Ugh. Great idea, but a fucking CD? Who plays cds any more except really old people? Having high res audio files renders cds redundant.

Why not have an option to pay $10-15 more and get this on vinyl instead? If I get a physical medium, I want a useful/aesthetic/collectible one that I might actually play.

I listen to CDs in the car because my car predates iPod jacks. Or whatever people use in the car these days. I'm so old that I don't even know.

This gift sounds great. I'm mildly pleased. :up:

I listen to CDs in the car because my car predates iPod jacks. Or whatever people use in the car these days. I'm so old that I don't even know.

They will almost definitely include a digital copy too, so you’ll have at minimum 2 options.

Last years “gift” was embarrassing and I still have it sitting on my counter collecting dust(utter rubbish).

This gift however ranks amongst their best (ZooTV album and U222 being two of the best).

Very excited to get this in 2023

Ugh. Great idea, but a fucking CD? Who plays cds any more except really old people? Having high res audio files renders cds redundant.

Why not have an option to pay $10-15 more and get this on vinyl instead? If I get a physical medium, I want a useful/aesthetic/collectible one that I might actually play.

Well if you hold on to the CDs long enough they may pick up a niche/aesthetic/collectible value... sorta like, ya know, vinyl.

Well if you hold on to the CDs long enough they may pick up a niche/aesthetic/collectible value... sorta like, ya know, vinyl.

But not useful...

Sure it might happen, but I somehow doubt U2.com are going to have a Nostradamus-like ability to forecast trends and use that as a justification for going against current industry trends.

All I’m advocating for are options. At least for a year and see if the demand justifies the expense. There is a shockingly low amount of official live U2 vinyl considering their focus on being a live band, their history of revolutionary tours, and the amount of live releases we’ve seen on visual media.

But not useful...

Sure it might happen, but I somehow doubt U2.com are going to have a Nostradamus-like ability to forecast trends and use that as a justification for going against current industry trends.

All I’m advocating for are options. At least for a year and see if the demand justifies the expense. There is a shockingly low amount of official live U2 vinyl considering their focus on being a live band, their history of revolutionary tours, and the amount of live releases we’ve seen on visual media.
I just find it funny that you rip on them for issuing a CD because it's an outdated tech - which is fair and accurate - and follow it up with your wish for them to release it on vinyl instead.

I just find it funny that you rip on them for issuing a CD because it's an outdated tech - which is fair and accurate - and follow it up with your wish for them to release it on vinyl instead.

And also that, though there is a vinyl resurgence, CDs are still much more widespread than vinyl. One of the complaints of the gifts of previous years was that it was all on vinyl and many don't have a turntable setup (But do have a CD player).

First half of 2017 5 cds sold per vinyl record. First half of 2018 2.25 cds sold per vinyl record.

Vinyl sales increased over that period by over 12%. CD sales dropped by over 40%.

If you think that trend is going to stop dead in 2019, I would argue that I think you are wrong.

All I am advocating for is a choice. By the end of 2019 it is entirely feasible that vinyl sales will be higher than CD sales. Possibly earlier.

First half of 2017 5 cds sold per vinyl record. First half of 2018 2.25 cds sold per vinyl record.

Vinyl sales increased over that period by over 12%. CD sales dropped by over 40%.

If you think that trend is going to stop dead in 2019, I would argue that I think you are wrong.

All I am advocating for is a choice. By the end of 2019 it is entirely feasible that vinyl sales will be higher than CD sales. Possibly earlier.

Well yea, because CDs have been dead for years. I don't agree with Martin at all. CDs may sell more, but they're still a dead tech. As is vinyl. Yes, there's a significant community of collectors, but that this community is actually still buying less than CDs only proves how small it is.

I'm all for choice... mp3, lossless, CD and vinyl... with various upcharges for the more pricey options (and discounts for the cheaper options... i.e. an mp3 digital download)

great gift/idea, on paper at least.

let's wait for the product before we rejoice, I hope it is better mixed than U22 because that one was a also a great idea but some of the worse live mixing ever, almost on par with these an old boots trying to pass studio tracks for live ones by adding loud fake crowd noise all over.

And also that, though there is a vinyl resurgence, CDs are still much more widespread than vinyl. One of the complaints of the gifts of previous years was that it was all on vinyl and many don't have a turntable setup (But do have a CD player).

I don’t have a record player, but I still like the vinyl because I see it as a collector’s item or an art piece and leave the plastic on. CDs are more utilitarian. My brother started collecting vinyl and it sort of rubbed off on me. Now I have a pretty nice U2 vinyl collection that I haven’t actually listened to yet.

A bit silly to include: "First access to ticket presales, if the band announce tour dates" Tour dates, that will not happen.

Smart marketing to state: "This one-off special release, produced by the band especially for U2.com subscribers, will not be on sale online or in store."

...but that makes you pay $50 for a double-CD....

I will go for a bootleg!

Okay...
So now U2.com has a feature up where you can vote for the first 2 songs to be made available for download of the upcoming live compilation. These are the 6 options you can choose two from:
https://www.u2.com/news/title/you-decide

- Song For Someone
- The Troubles
- Iris (Hold Me Close)
- You're The Best Thing About Me
- American Soul
- The Little Things That Give You Away

So the options are only tracks of the 2 new albums (I can live with that starting point, both tours did feature lots of songs of the then-new albums). They are not the strongest choices though (Song For Someone? American Soul?). The Troubles was only played a few times. And The Little Things That Give You Away was not played at all on these 2 tours?!?! Call me confused... :huh:

Last edited:
This.
In fact I am going to log in to U2,com for the first time in months to vote that way.

So far so good.
Just voted.
Current standings:

Song For Someone
12.15%

The Troubles
19.2%

Iris (Hold Me Close)
15.71%

You're the Best Thing About Me
9.56%

American Soul
9.13%

The Little Things That Give You Away
34.25%

Who cares which one is released first? Especially if they're all going to be released anyway. Also I'm shocked that The Troubles is even listed considering how few times they played it.

Who cares which one is released first? Especially if they're all going to be released anyway. Also I'm shocked that The Troubles is even listed considering how few times they played it.

Like Headache said, its more about a message being sent to the band (that they likely won't receive) about how backwards their view of their own music is recently.

i guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that the band has absolutely no idea about this and never will, regardless of any "message" being sent.

These song choices make me feel like we are going to be getting live versions of the two albums. All but The Showman, SLABT and TIWYCRMN were played, and in their places you can throw in Crystal Ballroom, Lucifer’s Hands, Invisible and Ordinary Love.

That version of “The Troubles” from one of the 2015 MSG show was when the song achieved perfection. Edge’s solo was perfect. And that was the last time they played it... idiots.

Back
Top Bottom