U2 at Hollywood Bowl 10/15/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all, the Hollywood Bowl is beautiful and inspirational and this set was perfect for this venue .

The Hollywood Bowl is notorious for being a logistical nightmare for its attendees. They pack you in like sardeenes in the parking lot and the hike up to the bowl can be a little tiresome. But it is a Hollywood icon and much beloved. I was able to see Harry Connick Jr. there a couple of years back and it was an amazing experience. The venue and the artists were a perfect compliment. (Someone mentioned the catwalk. I believe the cat walk has been there for a while. It works nicely with the shape of the architecture.)

One of the things that I have been thinking about since listening to Spiderman quite a bit is how wonderful the Bono and Edge sound is with a full orchestra. I wonder if U2 would consider doing a small tour with orchestra or strings? I think Metallica did this at one point. (wasn't it called S&M? Strings and Metallica? It was really something, the hard core metal with strings.) Anyway I can certainly see how the Spiderman experience effected their performance here. It has been a while since I have been "moved" by a you tube performance but this one was magical. Truly special. I really loved what they did with SATS, but the entire performance was special. A great solution for the 360 withdrawals!

Did anybody notice that there seemed to be partitions further back in the crowd, almost like cubicles for tables or something? Was anyone else there that saw what those things were? I didn't get a great look at them, sorry if I'm not describing them accurately..

i am very happy that I was able to attend. i had never been to the hollywood bowl before and was blown away the gorgeous views and along with the moon, it made for a perfect night with friends. i enjoyed all the performances. I personally missed Adam and Larry on stage. I was very happy to hear A man and A woman and Staring at the Sun. Nice surprises all around but Bono with his continued "this should have been a hit" comments made me fully realise that he and maybe the others might have issues with releasing a new album.

Liked everything but 'One'. It's kind of depressing what this little dark beauty has turned into post-PopMart. No wonder some people have it as their wedding song.

Liked everything but 'One'. It's kind of depressing what this little dark beauty has turned into post-PopMart. No wonder some people have it as their wedding song.

That still surprises me. Do people not listen to the words??:crack:

It should have been a hit...what a sense of entitlement this Bono has. If it's a hit, good, if not, well at least they wrote a good song. I've never known a band to complain about HITS as much as these jerks. And taking a dig at Iovine...who would listen to a guy who suggests Trent Reznor work with Timbaland for Year Zero because his beats aren't good enough?? And who is responsible for the Timbaland/Chris Cornell album? Seriously, stay away from that guy. He's an idiot.

A Man And A Woman was decent; none of the other songs did much for me. Miss Sarajevo was OK. They should have played No Line and Cedars. And they should never play One again. It's embarassing now. And what's with sucking Warlord Hillary's tits?

on @u2 the other day there was a quote from Edge saying that they liked hits but didn't really care because they were more of an album band.

Did anybody notice that there seemed to be partitions further back in the crowd, almost like cubicles for tables or something? Was anyone else there that saw what those things were? I didn't get a great look at them, sorry if I'm not describing them accurately..

The lower level of the Bowl is set up with "boxes" of 4 or 6 seats, with fold out tables so you can picnic before the show, either with your own food or you can order ahead and have food delivered to your box. Then you fold your table up, turn your chairs around and watch the show.

Box Seats | Hollywood Bowl Tips

Interesting set. First, both of them sound great for coming off a long tour.

Strings were hit and miss. I didn't think they added anything to "Staring At The Sun" and gave "One a much fuller sound. "Miss Sarajevo" was originally played with a full orchestra behind it. Color me impressed that Bono could hold that note at full volume for the full four measures.

As for Metallica, they did indeed do a few concerts with an orchestra. It's available as an album, S&M. Much like tonight, some songs the orchestra added nothing, others the band needed the orchestra to save them from themselves. And on "Nothing Else Matters," "Master of Puppets," and the opening of "One," it's mind-bogglingly fantastic.

I felt bad about all the "hits" talk Bono was going on about.

They're one of the biggest bands in the world, if not THE biggest band. Over twelve albums they've had a ton of hits.

Just goes to show that they need to get back into the recording studio, especially right now when Bono's voice is so amazing, and get cracking on those more "relevant hits".

Strings were hit and miss. I didn't think they added anything to "Staring At The Sun"

I kindly disagree with this, I was enjoying the orchestrations in that middle section of SATS quite a bit. I thought they made good use of them.... It added a moody vibe that I quite enjoyed in that song.

Thanks for the S&M confirmation. I think my husband has that in his catalogue, I will have to revisit it.

I enjoyed Bonos vocals on MS as well. I like the opera in him!

It should have been a hit...what a sense of entitlement this Bono has. If it's a hit, good, if not, well at least they wrote a good song. I've never known a band to complain about HITS as much as these jerks. And taking a dig at Iovine...who would listen to a guy who suggests Trent Reznor work with Timbaland for Year Zero because his beats aren't good enough?? And who is responsible for the Timbaland/Chris Cornell album? Seriously, stay away from that guy. He's an idiot.

A Man And A Woman was decent; none of the other songs did much for me. Miss Sarajevo was OK. They should have played No Line and Cedars. And they should never play One again. It's embarassing now. And what's with sucking Warlord Hillary's tits?

on @u2 the other day there was a quote from Edge saying that they liked hits but didn't really care because they were more of an album band.

Wow. Can't believe i missed actual tit sucking from warlords.

Question for you Hollow Island; (cool name btw, do you actually live on a hollow island?) Were you dropped on your head often as a baby? Had sand/dirt kicked into your face at the schoolyard? Or, are you the guy that sits in the back rows of the church and mutters "bullshit" while the preacher is giving the sermon? People often look at that guy and wonder why he bothers, you know? Yet at the same time they aren't willing to throw him out because he's every bit as deserving of the message as they are...he just never quite gets it.

Live debut of A Man And A Woman and Staring at the Sun/One/Miss Sarajevo with a string section? Nice.

Wow, just wow! AMAAW came out of nowhere. No. where. When we were expecting them to drum up the AB reissue hype. WOW. And 7 songs was wayyy more than expected! And being the show closer too?

I just wish they did AMAAW full band for that sexy bassline:reject:

Wow. Can't believe i missed actual tit sucking from warlords.

Question for you Hollow Island; (cool name btw, do you actually live on a hollow island?) Were you dropped on your head often as a baby? Had sand/dirt kicked into your face at the schoolyard? Or, are you the guy that sits in the back rows of the church and mutters "bullshit" while the preacher is giving the sermon? People often look at that guy and wonder why he bothers, you know? Yet at the same time they aren't willing to throw him out because he's every bit as deserving of the message as they are...he just never quite gets it.

Not too sure why you're directing so much spite towards me...I suppose your query is supposed to be an insult of some kind, but it doesn't make any sense, so I'm not going to try to answer it.

However, I think it's extremely hypocritical to thank someone for bringing peace to one country and then, in the next sentence, applaud a lady who voted to go to war in Iraq and is at war with the aforementioned nation, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya, and Yemen.

And really...Bono whining about hits? At a fundraiser? Have some dignity, man. Part of me does feel for him though, because U2 have been at it for 30 years and just when it seems like they might get some commercial success, just when it seems like they might poke through into the mainstream - if only for a moment - they fall right back into the cold arms of the underground. I can see where he's coming from.

A Man and A Woman sounded great.

. . . just listening to the set again (who am I kidding, the mofo has been on rote repeat since it aired yesterday afternoon Oz time :shifty: :giggle: ) . . . and One :heart: . . . I'm in the 'it's been played to death live, let's give it a little rest' camp . . . but mamma mia! it is absolutely s.t.u.n.n.i.n.g pared down like that . . . goosebumples baby :love:

Back
Top Bottom