U2 3D next year....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got home, racing an ice storm all the way (we won - thank God!).

What an incredible movie! We saw it at an Imax and the sound was awesome. Great music, great shots, great technology, great band.

I never realized Adam was so much bigger than Bono; usually you forget he's pretty small. All that goodness is just more concentrated than I thought!

The theater people said the show was sold out on the weekend; we were there 4pm on a weekday so there were less than ten people in there. It seemed a little sad.

We asked about the posters but they were all gone. But we got to see the movie from the best part of the theater, and I am well content. What a fabulous ride!

(My non-U2 husband leaned over to me during the film and whispered, "The Edge is on fire." LOL)

Rini said:
Just got home, racing an ice storm all the way (we won - thank God!).

What an incredible movie! We saw it at an Imax and the sound was awesome. Great music, great shots, great technology, great band.

I never realized Adam was so much bigger than Bono; usually you forget he's pretty small. All that goodness is just more concentrated than I thought!

The theater people said the show was sold out on the weekend; we were there 4pm on a weekday so there were less than ten people in there. It seemed a little sad.

We asked about the posters but they were all gone. But we got to see the movie from the best part of the theater, and I am well content. What a fabulous ride!

(My non-U2 husband leaned over to me during the film and whispered, "The Edge is on fire." LOL)

I'm glad he liked it. Make sure he sees "Electric Co." in the Chicago Vertigo DVD if he wants to see Edge on fire. :wink:

You got me beat BF, I saw it again with my son tonite which was #3. I dunno, I might just wait till it comes out on dvd so I can have my own copy. I'ts already listed on Amazon and Overstock with "release date pending". :applaud:

So how 'bout seeing in on an Omnimax instead of an Imax theater?

Is it even showing on an Omnimax? I'm not having any luck finding anything out tonight. Since it's Sunday and everything is closed. We think that would be the way to go if it's showing on one.

We're in Ohio, but close to Pittsburgh, and having a hell of a time seeing anyplace close that's showing it on a weekend on of us doesn't have to work. We're willing to travel about 5 hours (and making a weekend w/out kids out of it :wink: ), but again no Omnimax info seems to be available.

Have you guys heard anything?

TIA!

Ali

my favorite part is where Bono kisses Adam.

I do wished they had a more interesting choice of songs. A few more unusual ones thrown in there. Too bad "Slane Castle" wasn't made 3D, now that would have been out of this world.

AliR said:

Is it even showing on an Omnimax? I'm not having any luck finding anything out tonight. Since it's Sunday and everything is closed. We think that would be the way to go if it's showing on one.

We're in Ohio, but close to Pittsburgh, and having a hell of a time seeing anyplace close that's showing it on a weekend on of us doesn't have to work. We're willing to travel about 5 hours (and making a weekend w/out kids out of it :wink: ), but again no Omnimax info seems to be available.

Have you guys heard anything?

TIA!

Ali

I havent heard anything about OmniMax, and I would not know how different it is from Imax, but you can check out the U2-3D.com website for a showing near you ;)

BonoFox1 said:

I havent heard anything about OmniMax, and I would not know how different it is from Imax, but you can check out the U2-3D.com website for a showing near you ;)

We've been there. We definitely want to see it on Imax, if Omni isn't available, and that site doesn't seem very easy to navigate. It's playing 20 minutes from me, but not on Imax, and it doesn't tell you that at the U2 3D page {shrug} So I came to the experts ;)

Ali

Actually there is a difference. OmniMax theatres are domed, 360 degree visually surrounded theatres, where IMAX theatres are simply really big flat screens. I've been to both, and while the IMAX is stunning, it doesn't compare to the realism of OMNIMAX. I remember actually getting woozy at times from vertigo and other sensations while watching the OMNIMAX movies. It's that realistic.

As far as I know, there's only a half a dozen or so Omnimax theatres in the world. (the one I saw was the science center in Michigan, USA. You'll know the difference, because the projector is actually about a dozen or so seperate lenses that project a different part of the image on each area of the dome. And actually it's technically only about a 120 degree angle, though they don't bill it as such, however if you're sitting in your seat, it goes back as far as you can see. And these are specially made movies just for the omni max, because you have to film it with multiple cameras and convert it to the multi-camera projectors to view it on. That's why you'll never see mainstream movies there, just science and nature films... They're custom made.

Apparently IMAX and OMNIMAX films are produced by the same company. The difference still lies in the dome VS the flat screen.

http://www.msichicago.org/omax/aboutomni.html

Carek1230 said:
As far as I know, there's only a half a dozen or so Omnimax theatres in the world. (the one I saw was the science center in Michigan, USA. You'll know the difference, because the projector is actually about a dozen or so seperate lenses that project a different part of the image on each area of the dome. And actually it's technically only about a 120 degree angle, though they don't bill it as such, however if you're sitting in your seat, it goes back as far as you can see. And these are specially made movies just for the omni max, because you have to film it with multiple cameras and convert it to the multi-camera projectors to view it on. That's why you'll never see mainstream movies there, just science and nature films... They're custom made.

Half a dozen?

lulz
The northwest are Omnimax hogs then, I can drive to at least three.

And FYI, Omnimax is just one camera and projector. It's a special fish-eye lense, both for shooting and projecting, that creates the effect.

We went again yesterday afternoon. There were people of all ages. Kids, 20's , even an older gentleman in a wheelchair probably in his 80's, young people in their 50's like me. I was very pleased to see this. (there were four giggling 10-12 year olds who thought they were at Hanna Montana & got up & left when the show came on) Maybe I can talk my husband into going again.

Bono's Doll said:
We went again yesterday afternoon. There were people of all ages. Kids, 20's , even an older gentleman in a wheelchair probably in his 80's, young people in their 50's like me. I was very pleased to see this. (there were four giggling 10-12 year olds who thought they were at Hanna Montana & got up & left when the show came on) Maybe I can talk my husband into going again.

i want my grandma to go she is in her 70's and my step-grandpa would probably be there he is in his 80's!

AliR said:

Is it even showing on an Omnimax?
Ali

Is that the one with the big dome? A guy at the theater told me you can't show 3D on the big domes; they aren't engineered for it. You either need a slightly curving screen or a flat screen with a digitally produced 3D.

I hope that makes sense.

Edit: Ah - beaten! :)

Haha yeah I dont mean behind the glasses, just pics of the screen, yknow, screen shots.. :wink:

Well ideally you would take them without flash, so I dont see how they could see you. I dunno maybe I'll try.

carmel, i love your sig. picture with bono and adam kissing. actually in the movie, that was my favorite part. I love that they don't care as men to show their affection towards their mates. that's so cool.

The 3D effect is incredible. I still can't believe how it felt that they were within the reach of my hand. The opening with Vertigo really kicked ass.

Last edited:
Sicy said:
Well ideally you would take them without flash, so I dont see how they could see you. I dunno maybe I'll try.

A friend took pics of the screen with her IPhone of the Yahweh graphics at the end, and they turned out incredible, they look really good. She also took one of Bono, an action shot, it was blurred but still looked pretty cool. This was all done stealthily by the way. At another show I was at, the woman next to me was taking pics thruout the movie with her cel phone. Near the end, an usher came up to her and they spoke for a long time (I couldn't hear what they discussed since the movie was still going) but eventually she handed over her phone to him and he spent quite a while going thru it while she didn't look very happy (maybe he was deleting pics, I don't know) but she probably chose a bad night to do this. Studio reps were in attendance that night and had us fill out very detailed surveys about the film before and after the show. :shrug:

bonocomet said:
A friend took pics of the screen with her IPhone of the Yahweh graphics at the end, and they turned out incredible, they look really good. She also took one of Bono, an action shot, it was blurred but still looked pretty cool. This was all done stealthily by the way. At another show I was at, the woman next to me was taking pics thruout the movie with her cel phone. Near the end, an usher came up to her and they spoke for a long time (I couldn't hear what they discussed since the movie was still going) but eventually she handed over her phone to him and he spent quite a while going thru it while she didn't look very happy (maybe he was deleting pics, I don't know) but she probably chose a bad night to do this. Studio reps were in attendance that night and had us fill out very detailed surveys about the film before and after the show. :shrug:

omg :uhoh:

Well I wouldnt sit there and take pictures through the whole movie, I'd be happy with just a few.

bonocomet said:

Which theatre? The Edwards IMAX in MM? When did they do this with the surveys? I would have LOVED to be part of that!

Yes it was the Edwards... I'm trying to remember which day it was... but I'm not sure now. I believe it was the Sat. Jan 26th 9:30 pm show though.

Back
Top Bottom