u2-3D Alberta/Sask

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DaveC said:
'Bout fuckin' time the Maritimes get something and Alberta's left out in the cold.

:wink:

Or maybe.. maybe we get things because there are 400 people in Halifax (800 in the entire maritimes) including dogs and cats (20,000 including lobsters), and 3 million over here sitting with the cows... I'm not sure though...

Ahhh canadian regionalism flame wars...on a U2 webboard...God luv ya! Personally I don't "sit" with cows per say, Poopedtart, more tipping than sitting. You're making us Albertans into that cowboy stereotype..it's just so wrong. LOL!
oh and errr...yee haw!

What's really sad is that I can't actually afford to go to the maritimes...Actually, I've never been east of Bellville, Ontario.
Sad, eh?
I would love to travel to the Maritimes but it would cost less to fly all the way to Europe. Howzzat?

If it wasnt for Alberta, Canada would be broke, and this is a reality.

However good to see people are putting the pressure on Cineplex to bring the movie here.

Well Hello,

So nothing new since I got the cease and desist order from National Geographic. In a follow up email I am told, "They are still working on it" --I was thanked for my enthusiasm and dedication and told they will contact me as soon as they know a date. I will keep at it just so they know we are still waiting!

poppedtart said:

Or maybe.. maybe we get things because there are 400 people in Halifax (800 in the entire maritimes) including dogs and cats (20,000 including lobsters), and 3 million over here sitting with the cows... I'm not sure though...

Take a lesson from a Maritimer, and learn to make a comeback to a joke without sounding like a douche. I know it comes naturally to Albertans, so you're off the hook this time, but be careful cause I'll get my fisherman friends to come over there and harpoon your ass.

Last edited:
edmontonhj said:
I would love to travel to the Maritimes but it would cost less to fly all the way to Europe. Howzzat?

We've only got 400 people, so the extra cost is to pay the lobster trappers to come ashore for the day to act as ATC and move the baggage into the terminal shack.

Yahweh said:
If it wasnt for Alberta, Canada would be broke, and this is a reality.

Using this logic, I could just as easily argue that without the Maritimes there would be no Canada. :shrug:

Far as I see it, both areas have their respective beauty. NS doesn't have a Banff and Alberta doesn't have a Cape Breton or the east's beautiful beaches. And while Alberta has oil, it's probably likely that alot of/most of the seafood Albertans eat comes from the east coast. So there ya go. :)

gabrielvox said:

Using this logic, I could just as easily argue that without the Maritimes there would be no Canada. :shrug:

Far as I see it, both areas have their respective beauty. NS doesn't have a Banff and Alberta doesn't have a Cape Breton or the east's beautiful beaches. And while Alberta has oil, it's probably likely that alot of/most of the seafood Albertans eat comes from the east coast. So there ya go. :)

just about all of it

bc's got crabs

:sexywink:

Well I am getting tired of waiting for this movie to make it to Alberta. They should send a copy up from the States from somebody that is choosing not to use it and would rather play Billy Ray Cyrus daughters crap instead.

I never thought anything would be worse then his 1 hit wonder but shes worse.

MArk Katz from National Geographic just emailed me and he is happy to report the following news. U23D is coming to Alberta in digital 3D theaters!!

They will launch U23D in digital 3D on April 11th in Edmonton and Calgary.

I just want to thank all of you for your help guys!
PLease don't contact the theatres, they will certainly announce it very soon, check your local listings and I will even post them here once they are announced officially.

FYI!
:wave: An update from Edmonton - (Not sure about Calgary times yet)

U23D will screen at two Edmonton theatres — South Edmonton Common and Empire Clareview 10 — starting April 11.

Both recently installed a new digital 3D projection system, known as the Christie CP2000 DLP Cinema projector.
According to a recent Journal story: "This technology will be further enhanced with Real D 3-D technology to allow theatres to present the latest 3-D films. Viewers must wear circular tinted glasses to experience the 3-D effects."

edmontonhj said:
FYI!
:wave: An update from Edmonton - (Not sure about Calgary times yet)

U23D will screen at two Edmonton theatres — South Edmonton Common and Empire Clareview 10 — starting April 11.

Both recently installed a new digital 3D projection system, known as the Christie CP2000 DLP Cinema projector.
According to a recent Journal story: "This technology will be further enhanced with Real D 3-D technology to allow theatres to present the latest 3-D films. Viewers must wear circular tinted glasses to experience the 3-D effects."

Is this true? There is nothing on South Commons website showing times and it's not showing in the April 11th "upcoming" part of their site also??

theedge111 said:

Is this true? There is nothing on South Commons website showing times and it's not showing in the April 11th "upcoming" part of their site also??

http://www.cineplex.com/Movies/MovieDetails/34A37393/U2_3D_Real_D_Digital_3D_Performance.aspx

Try that link...

I found it strange to that there is no listing in the edmonton movie guide...in fact I freaked out!!!

So I called cineplex.
It plays at:
noon, 2:15, 4:20, 6:45, 9:15 at Southe Edmonton Common starting Friday.

They have signs up all over the theatre too!
Not sure about Clareview or Calgary sorry.

I just got back!!! :yes:

I had to see it, the more I thought about it, the more I had to see the first show. So there I was at 11:50 a.m. with 2 other avid U2 fans, I assume, sitting in the dark at South Edmonton Common with those dorky glasses!
So worth the wait. First off--I had a hard time sitting down through it...and not singing out loud. Did you have a hard time with that? I love the crowds singing the big rock anthems...how the crowd already knew the bit they are supposed to sing...how they rocked out!

When Bono planted one on Adam...awwww....that really was touching and you could feel the love they share in that moment...nothing planned about that moment, they always keep it so genuine.
And during the intro of Adam...those fans with in the front row bowing down, "we're not worthy"...that was funny too.
What an interesting experience in 3D. You know right at the beginning when someone splashes their water bottle and it spays out, I honestly expected to feel the wetness hit my arm...I'll admit I let slip a few tears during "Sometimes you can't make it on your own"...that was my favorite song of the movie because I've never seen it live and because of Bono and his Father and what it means. His lyrics just...just...I can't explain it!

It was like I was transported to Argentina just now...The whole "coexist" message was powerful...Bono calling, "Sons of Abraham!" U2's spirituality gets me every time!
And the comparison between Ireland and Argentina, "no matter how hard our past, we won't let that stand in the way of our great future...." The powerful image of him blindfolded with the smoke and haze billowing around him as he sang. Just for a moment even sitting in a darkened theatre I felt like part of something bigger than me. The young woman reading out the declaration of human rights....
I loved hearing Miss Sarejvo (sp) and the new songs that I missed live because I didn't see the last tour.

I am so grateful they listened to the fans of Alberta and brought it here...now I just have to decide when to go again!
LOL!

So I saw it tonight at Chinook in Calgary. I got there not 5 minutes before it's supposed to start and think I've walked into the wrong theatre.

No one's wearing glasses :confused:

I walk out and check the number on the door. Yep, I'm in the right theatre. Just then another group of people walk in and do the same thing :lol: I see a woman from the group walk out and I figure she's going to find an employee, so I run after her. We track down a guy and ask him about the glasses and he looks utterly confused for a second, before saying "oooooooooh", as in 'oh shit, I knew we forgot something' :der: So he runs off and comes back a minute later with a cart full of glasses. We grab ours and head back inside, where the woman waves hers at the crowd and shouts "3D glasses are out there!" at which point the crowd goes 'ooooooh' and files out to get their own. Geez. U2 3D without the 3D?? I think not. It was opening night, but there was a showing right before ours, so I wonder what happened there :shrug:

Anyhoo, it was fabulous the second time around :D

The show was great wish the volume was louder though it would have made it even better. There wasnt anymore then 20 people in the theatre but thats OK, it was really a great show, as far as I know it is only going to be in the theatres for a week so anybody that wants to go better do it again soon :)

Well worth the money, I especially liked the overhead shots of the drum kit and the crowd.

Its in Theatre 10 at South Edmonton Common :)

One of the few movies I actually saw most people sit through the credits hard to tell if anybody was impressed or not but I hope they were!

Last edited:
what a great show

I think the problem with not having it in the Imax is that they can't blast the volume because it will send it through to other theatres...

Nevertheless... I saw the Friday night show and there were at least 100 people so hopefully it was worth it to most...

I brought 5 people and they all loved it...

Back
Top Bottom