U2 360 Boxscore Discussion Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only figure where BJ outgrossed U2 away from home. BJ ticket average is $149 vs. U2's $127. Obvious u2 outstrip BJ in all the other numbers.

While U2 promoter/fans will correctly cite too many major act saturating down under that season, why did BJ do so relatively "well" in Sydney while playing the same week? BJ trucks must have been waiting outside the venue for the last 360 truck to leave the dates are so close.

Did the 6 weeks headstart in announcing Aussie dates give that much of an advantage to Bon Jovi?(early July for BJ, late August for U2). Without Bono's injury stuff and if U2 announced before BJ would they have done even bigger number throughout the continent? Is saying u2 lost upwards of $10mil potential gross with late(ish) tour announcement out of line?

1. U2 were there on a large scale tour just four years earlier in Australia. Bon Jovi had not done a stadium tour on that scale in Australia since 1995.

2. Bon Jovi played a smaller venue in Sydney. This allows for more shows to be played which has a helpful impact on overall gross and attendance due to multiple show attendances by fans.

3. U2 played 8 stadium shows in Australia as opposed to 6 stadium shows and one arena show by Bon Jovi. With so many U2 shows outside of Sydney, there was less demand for fans to travel to Sydney for shows. On the other hand, half of Bon Jovi's stadium shows were in Sydney.

Lady Gaga is hoping to break records by embarking on a 450-date two-year tour.

U2 holds the record for the most attended, highest grossing tour, and Gaga wants to take the title.

A source told the Sun: "She is planning to kick things off in Asia and India next year and go on a gruelling world tour.

Lady Gaga Planning 450-Date Tour - Celebrity Gossip, News & Photos, Movie Reviews, Competitions - Entertainmentwise

That would mean an average attendance of 16,000 minimum and and an average of $1.6 million in gross minimum. She would have to hit even the tiniest markets in North America and Europe in order to get to 450 shows. I can't see her doing these averages all over the world.

spookyz said:
Lady Gaga is hoping to break records by embarking on a 450-date two-year tour.

U2 holds the record for the most attended, highest grossing tour, and Gaga wants to take the title.

A source told the Sun: "She is planning to kick things off in Asia and India next year and go on a gruelling world tour.

Lady Gaga Planning 450-Date Tour - Celebrity Gossip, News & Photos, Movie Reviews, Competitions - Entertainmentwise

That would mean an average attendance of 16,000 minimum and and an average of $1.6 million in gross minimum. She would have to hit even the tiniest markets in North America and Europe in order to get to 450 shows. I can't see her doing these averages all over the world.

I could be wrong but based on sales of her latest album, although it is one of the top selling of the year, her popularity is already fading.

The very fact that she'd have to do 450 shows to acheive what U2 did in 110 paints a pretty clear picture.

If the Stones do in fact tour in 2012-13, AND announce it's their last tour, AND have Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor join them as has been rumored, then they MIGHT have a shot at beating U2's record.

Honestlly though, U2 could have easily squeezed another $100 million or more in gross (a few more NA dates, a few more SA dates, 3rd European leg including return to UK and Ireland, Asia dates). One could argue that they could've brought in closer to 900 million just by doing these few things I listed. The true limiting factor was the cost of the actual 360 stage. Taking all that stuff to India or Singapore for one show would not be worth it, for example.

canedge said:
It would be interesting to see how the six legs of 360 compared to each other in a pie graph.

If you charted the average attendance per show by leg and average gross per show by leg, that would be interesting (more so the avg gross per show).

While I'm aware of the criteria for a "sell out", I was just wondering how many of the 360 shows had a large number of unsold seats. I was at the Pittsburgh show, and there were quite a few empty seats in the upper decks. Yet there were 55,000 there, and it was "sold out". Just wondering if there were any other examples of this happening?

robbrecon72 said:
According to Forbes, U2 was the highest earning musicians for 2011 raking in $195 million. Bon Jovi was second with $125 million.

1. U2 ($195 million) - Zack O'Malley Greenburg - Forbes

Where are the Rolling Stones on this list? After all, over the past few years we were repeatedly told by some (one) that the Stones are the biggest band in the world.....so they must be on the list.

I could be wrong but based on sales of her latest album, although it is one of the top selling of the year, her popularity is already fading.

she had to put her album at $1.99 on Amazon to shift around half her copies sold.

While I'm aware of the criteria for a "sell out", I was just wondering how many of the 360 shows had a large number of unsold seats. I was at the Pittsburgh show, and there were quite a few empty seats in the upper decks. Yet there were 55,000 there, and it was "sold out". Just wondering if there were any other examples of this happening?

This happened quite a bit. In a lot of cases, not all of the seats were put on sale to begin with, in case of slow sales. For the first Melbourne show they deliberately left the top 10 rows of the upper deck empty. For the second Brisbane show they covered over most of the upper deck, and both Brisbane showswere labelled sell-outs despite attendances being roughly 50k and 35k respectively!)

"Start saving your pennies now. People spend $300 on crazy things all the time, things like handbags. So work all year, scrape the money together and come to my show. I'm worth it"

:)

"Start saving your pennies now. People spend $300 on crazy things all the time, things like handbags. So work all year, scrape the money together and come to my show. I'm worth it"

:)

She's been charging $300+ as the highest price for about 8 years now. :wink: I don't imagine U2 charging $300+ in North America, though I think Paul McCartney is on that track.

Here's some interesting facts I came across in regards to the Brisbane concerts, from a "Government Report" by Suncorp Stadium...

Ticket sales
First night Second night

On Field 13,151 10,522
Stand Tickets 33,790 25,641
Total Tickets Sold 46,941 36,163
Actual Attendance 44,352 39,659

So roughly 2600 people didn't go the first night, but an EXTRA 3500 who didn't have tickets went the next night, how does that work? Unless they got in for free. In any case, they are surprising figures.

Weren't we supposed to believe this tour will hit $900 million? ;)

Here's what Arthur Fogel says:

European dates, which are mostly in stadiums, have come under particular scrutiny. Fogel says the $214 million gross banked so far is spread "pretty evenly" between North America and Europe, and there are 43 shows on sale in North America versus 33 in Europe. "You can do the math," Fogel says, reeling off sales figures. "46,000 in Istanbul, 44,000 in Milan, 39,000 in Florence. We sold out two arenas in Barcelona, two in Berlin, two in Amsterdam, we sold 42,000 in Edinburgh, 40,000 in Helsinki, 51,000 in Paris. If that's trouble, give me more.

Fogel's not sure what to make of the detractors. "This tour is completely on track to end up in the top 10 tours of all time, especially considering we haven't put South America or Australia on sale," he tells Billboard.biz. "To say this tour is not performing is so off base I don't even know what to say. When this tour is said and done, combined with 'Sticky and Sweet,' you're talking $750 million in gross ticket sales. That sounds pretty impressive to me."

Madonna's 2012 Tour 'On Track' To Be Among 'Top 10 of All Time': Live Nation's Arthur Fogel | Billboard.biz

This means that Fogel roughly expects this tour to end up with $350 million She'll struggle to break her own record, which makes sense actually. The majority of the shows are in arenas this time and stadium shows in Europe won't be as massive as when she performed there 3 or 4 years ago.

Those numbers are pretty good that he listed, however. I think we all forget that because U2's numbers were rediculous on the 360 tour (and I remember being blown away by the Vertigo tour numbers at the time as well).

51,000 in Paris is a lot of people, it's just that U2 played to 90,000 (3 times) in the same stadium on the 360 tour, so it seems pretty meager.

As big as the 360 tour was, I think it could've easily been much bigger. I'd be willing to bet that they could've gotten close to 900 million and had over 8 million in attendance if they had truly played to their full potential. Could have added-

2nd Oakland show
2nd show in either Philly or East Rutherford 2011
Ohio show (Cincy, Columbus or Cleveland)
Divide 2011 Chicago into 2 shows, Indianapolis and Wisconsin
New Orleans
Eugene, Oregon
1 show in upstate New York (Buffalo, Syracuse)
2011 show in Boston
Honolulu
Monterrey, Mexico
Lima, Peru
Another show in Brazil (Rio, Porto Alegre, or both... or a 4th show in Sao Paulo probably would've sold out)
Adelaide, Australia
Either Wellington or Christchurch, New Zealand
Singapore
India
United Arab Emirates
South Korea
Japan- 2 shows in Tokyo, 1 in Osaka
Other Asian countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, China?)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Cairo, Egypt
Morocco? (Would've tied in nicely with the whole Fez/NLOTH thing)

Possible 3rd European leg (August/September 2011)
1 show in London
1-2 shows elsewhere in the UK (Manchester, Coventry, Sunderland, Edinburgh)
2/3 shows at new Aviva Stadium in Dublin
Belfast, Northern Ireland
2 shows somewhere in the Netherlands
Previously unvisited city in France
Madrid, Spain
Oslo, Norway
Prague, Czechoslovakia
1 show somewhere in the Baltic region (between Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Belarus, I'd think they could find a place to play SOMEWHERE)
Budapest, Hungary
Bucharest, Romania
Kiev, Ukraine
Sofia, Bulgaria
Udine, Italy- Smallish stadium in a previously unvisited part of the country
Germany- Perhaps one more centralized show would sell well?

Anybody think of any others? Or shoot down any possibilites from my list? A 3rd leg in Europe would've been doable if they had released a 2nd album in fall 2010-summer 2011 somehow.

u2 360

Hi Acrobat. I am Andrew from Bulgaria. I am a big u2 fan since 2000.

Possible u2 dates North America 360 tour- missing markets

Ohio- Cleveland one date ATTENDANCE 45 000

CINCINNATI NOT POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF TICKETS SALES AND COLUMBUS NOT POSSIBLE - TOO BIG STADIUM

SAN FRANCISCO- ONE DATE- 45 000

Milwaukee- ONE DATE 43 000

BOSTON - ONE DATE -FENWAY PARK 42 000

NEW YORK- ONE DATE 55 000

OREGON, IOWA, BIRMINGHAM, INDIANA, NEW ORLEANS NOT POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF TICKETS SALES

EUROPE

GERMANY-ONE DATE- DUSSELDORF 52 000

IRELAND- ONE DATE - AVIVA- 60 000

ITALY- ONE DATE -FLORENCE- 48 000

SPAIN- ONE DATE -MADRID 80 000

ENGLAND ONE DATE MANCHESTER 60 000

FRANCE ONE DATE- PARIS- PARC DE PRINCESS 55 000

BULGARIA - NOT POSSIBLE. WE ARE VERY POOR COUNTRY- SALARY FOR ONE MONTH FOR ONE PERSON AROUND 300 EURO.

SERBIA- POOR COUNTRY NOT POSSIBLE

UKRAINE POOR COUNTRY NOT POSSIBLE

SWEDEN ONE DATE ULEVI 60 000

HOLLAND ONE DATE AMSTERDAM 62 000

DENMARK ONE DATE HORSENS 34 000

ROMANIA- POSSIBLE 65 000

HUNGARY- NOT POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF LIVE NATION

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Belarus- MAYBE ESTONIA

Oslo, Norway- NOT POSSIBLE TOO SMALL STADIUM

Prague, Czech- NOT POSSIBLE TOO SMALL STADIUM

ASIA- MAYBE JAPAN AND ISRAEL

Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, China, INDIA NOT POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF TICKETS SALES

AUSTRALIA- ONE MORE DATE ADELAIDE BUT THIS IS RISKY

SOUTH AMERICA

BRAZIL- RIO-TWO DATES 126 000

PERU- NOT POSSIBLE -HIGH COSTS 4 500 000$. I RED THIS SOMEWHERE

COLUMBIA, ECUADOR PARAGUAY, URUGUAY, VENEZUELA SAME REASON HIGH COSTS

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

United Arab Emirates- NOT POSSIBLE
South Korea- RISKY

MONTERREY- MAYBE

MOROCCO AND EGYPT TOO RISKY

Latest posts

Back