Trouble Convincing my Mom to let me leave my school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
I have been going to this private school that is about 25 miles away from where I live for the last 7 years.The school advertizes itself as having great class/teachers/electives,etc, but it really doesn't have any of that. Next year(9th grade) is the last year you can go there, but I want to start high school in 9th grade like the majority of people do. There will be 21 people in my grade next year( 17 of whom I don't like), and our only choices are if we ant to take art,music or computer or be in the play,or on the knowledge masters team. My local high school has so many more classes/elecatives,etc that i could take that would look better on my college transcript, and my life would not be ashectic because i would get home and hour earlier, and haveto do my homework time before rushing back out to ballet class 4 nights a week.

I did research on my local high school vs my private school, and the high school is better. Just to be sure, I made a list of pros/cons for 9th grade at each of the 2 schools. I have talked to many people about this, and the only people who think I should not leave are my (3) freinds at my school, and my parents. My mom absolutely willl not listen to me, and I had trouble just getting my parents to read my list of pros/cons. She is extremely stubborn, and I have trouble making her listen to me.

Does anyone have an good tactics on how to approach this? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, it costs a lot(Im not sure how much), and transportation alone is around 2-3 thousand dollars. I know tuition is more than that. My public school is free. I've said to my parents that I don't see why they're paying so much money to send me somewhere where Im not happy. They say that I'll be gald I went to my school some day.

U2girl91289 said:
Yeah, it costs a lot(Im not sure how much), and transportation alone is around 2-3 thousand dollars. I know tuition is more than that. My public school is free. I've said to my parents that I don't see why they're paying so much money to send me somewhere where Im not happy. They say that I'll be gald I went to my school some day.

...but public school offers so much more, for free.. maybe the word "private school" really got to them. i know my parents have this weird sense about private school that you get so much more out of it, just because it'sprivate school they hold it in reverence or something ..and in some private schools, you do get alot more than public. but this place you are describing sounds so..i don't know- mundane sounding. maybe what you can do is have a teacher from each school write your parents a note, explaining about each place..so they can get a teacher's view..

I had this same problem many years ago when leaving 8th grade and trying for high school. I didn't win the three teeny tiny scholarships that were available for the private school I wanted to go to...and it turns out I was involved in a lot more exciting and nurturing things at my public high school (1mile away v. 50 min drive away to the private school) and all the girls from my 8th grade who ended up at the private school also ended up serious drug addicts! One even dropped out and disappeared!

Anyway, tell your mom its not the label of the school, it's the quality of the student that goes there!

Thanks so much,everyone! I think it's definitely just the name that my parents like, but it's really embarassing because my school is for gifted kids- or so they tell us, but I have serious doubts about some of the people there,myself included. The administrators at my school say that there are so many opportunities,etc at my school, and that it's easier to start high school in 10th grade, but some of my older freinds are having a lot of trouble. My school is basically a front used to collect money for the "administrators" You'd think with the ridiculously expensive tuition there would be more choices/facilities and opportunities for us, but there aren't. Ex: the "computer lab" has computers from the late 1980's that don't work that well

Last edited:
U2girl91289 said:
Ex: the "computer lab" has computers from the late 1980's that don't work that well

My private school didn't have microscopes!! Can you believe that???

I begged for one for Christmas because I wanted to see cells, etc. Damn private schools.

They didn't even have microscopes??? We do, but they're about 40 yrs old and broken. We've had to improvise every single lab b/c our bio teacher doesn't have enough money to get the right supplies.

U2Girl902810-

Just tell your ma u ran the idea by ' mr. diamond' and he says its ok..:)

diamond
bruno.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom