Tom Petty Rushed to Hospital in full cardiac arrest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Free Fallin and American Girl even more so. Never mind the fact that he's been on just about every one of my DI lists.

Yeah, I feel like there are at least 5 TP tracks better-known than I Won't Back Down.

I'd say Free Fallin' would be at the top.

Friggin' Cobbler.

Have never listened to him, don't think I could recognise a song, but I know many here loved him and very sad for those of you :sad:

Listen to Greatest Hits right now. I promise you'll really like it.

If you do, and you will because basically everyone does, listen to Damn the Torpedoes and Full Moon Fever. The debut is my personal favorite, but I'm a total nut for that 70s power pop/pub rock sound.

Last edited:
is this like that time that cobbler said he'd never heard a single hall & oates song and then people posted like 10 of them that he instantly recognized?

he may not quite be gone yet but this sounds like a similar situation to carrie fisher, where someone has a massive heart attack and then it takes a while before they get to the hospital, so it's just a matter of keeping them comfortable until time runs out.

mary jane's last dance was one of the very first songs i learned to play on electric guitar. i will be playing it again tonight in honour.

I don't know, but I've been told
You never slow down, you never grow old
Buy me a drink, sing me a song
Take me as I come, cause I can't stay long.

:sad:

Last edited:
Heard the updates driving home about no brain activity, pulling the plug and then that he had passed.
Got home and saw on TV he was not yet dead. Either way it appears grim.
Hopefully he's still alive and can take credit for putting a smile on my face a little while ago. Got in the car to drive the kid to CCD, local classic rock station had been playing Petty all afternoon/evening and when I turned the car on "Rebels" was playing.
Reminded me of the fact that a couple friends and I used to amuse ourselves after drinking (back when I used to do so) by singing the chorus as "hey, hey, hey, I was Barney Rubble"

Hoping for some miracle.

Agree with others saying this whole day can get the fuck outta here.

I remember asking for and receiving Wildflowers from "Santa" (my parents) back in the day. He has so many outstanding songs, but Don't Come Around Here No More + the video for it...that would be my favorite.

Sorry, hope I didn't come off as a wanker, I more meant that it's just not really been across my radar. Definitely know Free Fallin and also definitely know Wont Back Down from classic rock radio, just never knew who the artist was, so couldn't name a song is probably better wording than couldn't recognise a song haha. Will check out a best of :)

What has happened to your country?!

It's not his fault he's never heard Tom Petty, Australia is halfway around the world and super isolated. Why do you think U2 never tours there?

We just have acdc, courtney barnett and acdc and courtney barnett cover bands

We just have acdc, courtney barnett and acdc and courtney barnett cover bands

And my favorite current artist. Tame Impala.

I totally rocked Greatest Hits, Damn The Torpedos, and S/T while working today. What an incredible amount of fantastic music that man is responsible for. American Girl is one of my all time favs of any musician ever.

It's time to move on, time to get going
What lies ahead, I have no way of knowing
But under my feet, baby, grass is growing
It's time to move on, it's time to get going

Held on to the tiniest bit of hope, 'cause, hey, miracles and all, right?

Ugh. Damn. This just flat out sucks. Rest in peace, Tom. Thanks for all the fantastic music.

I was in full blown denial, but I also really did want to believe in a miracle. If anyone could do it, I feel like it was him.

You were the first one I thought of, Ashley. Condolences.
Thanks. I realize it's not like I knew him personally or something, but fuck...I'm just beside myself about it.

I paused Wildflowers earlier when I found out he was still alive because I just couldn't handle being sad about him, picking it back up now. This album is just amazing. It's a little long, but....some of these songs are just absolute masterpieces.

Just realized the two songs I chose to use lyrics from on Facebook were from it as well, hah.

Absolute legend, as a songwriter, vocalist, band leader and all round tough guy when taking on the brass.
Utterly gutted. Just gutted.
American Girl, Mary Jane, Here Comes My Girl.... Legend.

My reaction to getting tickets to see Tom Petty for the first time:

5ldl6r.png

This was, I believe, the first concert I ever attended by myself. Or at the very least, it was the first concert I ever spontaneously went to. Bought the tickets about two hours before showtime and had to book it from Indiana to Chicago. On the way home the tire well in my car broke and I thought I was going to be stranded in south side Chicago, but I didn't care because it was basically the happiest night of my life at that point. I remember getting home and buzzing about it to my sister for like an hour, even though she didn't care much for his music, she was just laughing at how excited I was to have gone. Super crazy night for me. Will never forget it.

It's so sad, I'm reading this relatively recent RS article where Petty says one of the reasons the tour the Heartbreakers just finished was going to be the last one is because he wanted to see his granddaughter as much as possible. Now he won't get to see her at all. :(

"I'm thinking it may be the last trip around the country," says Petty. "It's very likely we'll keep playing, but will we take on 50 shows in one tour? I don't think so. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking this might be the last big one. We're all on the backside of our sixties. I have a granddaughter now I'd like to see as much as I can. I don't want to spend my life on the road. This tour will take me away for four months. With a little kid, that's a lot of time."

This was, I believe, the first concert I ever attended by myself. Or at the very least, it was the first concert I ever spontaneously went to. Bought the tickets about two hours before showtime and had to book it from Indiana to Chicago. On the way home the tire well in my car broke and I thought I was going to be stranded in south side Chicago, but I didn't care because it was basically the happiest night of my life at that point. I remember getting home and buzzing about it to my sister for like an hour, even though she didn't care much for his music, she was just laughing at how excited I was to have gone. Super crazy night for me. Will never forget it.

Really glad it worked out for you that way. :up:

It's so sad, I'm reading this relatively recent RS article where Petty says one of the reasons the tour the Heartbreakers just finished was going to be the last one is because he wanted to see his granddaughter as much as possible. Now he won't get to see her at all. :(

"I'm thinking it may be the last trip around the country," says Petty. "It's very likely we'll keep playing, but will we take on 50 shows in one tour? I don't think so. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking this might be the last big one. We're all on the backside of our sixties. I have a granddaughter now I'd like to see as much as I can. I don't want to spend my life on the road. This tour will take me away for four months. With a little kid, that's a lot of time."

Yeah, that was painful to realize. Two daughters and a young granddaughter... even at 66, it has to be way too soon for them especially.

Ugh. And there goes another one.

Icon. Gifted songwriter. True musician - songs that stand the test of time. Stubborn hardass, in the best way. Refugee is still in my top 10 "songs to play when things piss you off."

My reaction to getting tickets to see Tom Petty for the first time:

5ldl6r.png

That's so cool. I'm glad you were able to go, and had such a fun time.

(I sympathize with your car issues-when my family went to see Crowded House in Denver ten years back, my dad forgot to turn off the car lights and after the concert was over, we realized our battery had died. So we had to go find help at, like, eleven at night. Fortunately it all worked out, but we got home at, like, 3 something in the morning as a result of the delay :p.)

Those quotes from that 'Rolling Stone' article are truly bitttersweet reading :sad:. Still can't process this.

Bob Lefsetz review of his recent Hollywood Bowl show, sadly his next update on Tom will be an obit.

He’s the last rock star.
And he’s finally comfortable in his own skin.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2017/09/23/tom-petty-at-the-hollywood-bowl/
Our collection of true rock stars who are still out there doing their thing is really shrinking... These past two years have been especially unkind.

I want 24 hour protection around Springsteen and Eddie Vedder at all times.

Back
Top Bottom