The Pope an Italian ?! Oh God...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marr

The Fly
I must say it was quite embaressing to all Polish U2 fans when Bono called the Pope an Italian, for it is a well known fact that this pope is Polish, which was something he was always very proud of, even George W. Bush said "John Paul II, the son of the Polish land.." while Bono thought he was Italian...
Truly awful...

DaveC said:
I think it was symbolic rather than literal.

i forget who said it, but somebody said it on the news that john paul (not me) did an excellent job of 'becoming an italian.' when he was first sworn in as pope, he broke tradition by actually speaking to the crowd from the balcony as opposed to just blessing the people and leaving. i believe he said in italian that he was going to have to get better at 'your'...and then corrected to say 'our' language, intentionally. at that moment he became embraced and accepted by the italians and symbolically and figuratvly was italian.

so either bono just f'ed up, or hes smarter than most of us

yeah, but bono get's stuff wrong all the time. in fact, he's referred to the killers as being "good" more than once.

anyway, a note to marr:

have you ever been to zambrow or lomza?

i used to live there, and i'm going back in a few weeks. just thought i'd share that.

My earlier comment was a joke. Because there have been rumors about Bono in just about every arena why not throw him into the mix about the next Pope. Someone is bound to seriously suggest on here. I just thought that would have happened sooner.

Just give him a break. It must be exhausting to be expected to say something remarkable on every issue he is inquired about all the time. For God's sake he's a common mortal just like the rest of us who's humble enough to use the status that he has achieved and move all the efforts to fight poverty and help the ones in need.
Most people in his position just don’t give a damn or just got tired of being exposed and debauched like this! Some of you don’t even know what they’re talking about, but you must show some respect. Neither Bono nor U2 deserve this kind of treatment from fans.
Stop it!
It has been hard these days to came here and not be angry with so much nonsense.

Last edited:
TheRooster said:
My earlier comment was a joke. Because there have been rumors about Bono in just about every arena why not throw him into the mix about the next Pope. Someone is bound to seriously suggest on here. I just thought that would have happened sooner.

It is pretty bad to even be a joke.
Shame on those who even just for a second thought about writing here about it.
You could do better use of your imagination.

well to some of us, the pope means nothing.

but i agree, it's important to show respect to those that do especially at this time.

TheRooster said:

it DID happen. twice. the threads were closed almost immediately.

i am the worst catholic in the world, but yeah, a lot of people, including myself i guess, are a bit sensitive right now.

give it a week. we'll all remember why we disliked him so much before.

Popmartijn said:
Then again, many refer to U2 as an Irish band.
:shrug:

Sure, only 2 members are Irish, but they have lived and worked in Ireland for years now. U2 AFAIK always were proud of mentioning Dublin and Ireland as their home.

Bono saying Killers are good is an opinion. Someone's nationality is a fact, not opinion.

Last edited:
How dare Bono make a mistake! Let's now over-analyse it and assassinate/justify his character in true Interference fashion. Hurrah!

I thought he made the comment in a figurative sense, not literal. That is, the Pope was in Rome (or Vatican City, if one wants to be completely accurate) and by default, there is an Italian aspect to the surroundings and behavior of people.

In other words, I didn't think Bono meant the Pope was Italian. But that was just my interpretation. Maybe Bono did f*ck up. :wink:

Zoomerang96 said:
well to some of us, the pope means nothing.

but i agree, it's important to show respect to those that do especially at this time.

Even if your not Catholic or not religious at all, its pretty depressing to see that the pope means nothing to some people. I disagree with some of the popes views, esp on contraception but all in all, he was one person who worked tirelessly to forge closer links with other religions, helped bring down communism, was always vocal in being anti-war and was just a very good, holy man. I think the world is a much worse place without him.

As for Bono's comment, bit of a slip up but don't get too hung up about it!

Am not having a go at you btw, its just a bit sad to read that the death of one of the most important and influential people in my lifetime can have such a low/negligible impact on others.

Last edited:
I don't care about the position of Pope, nor John Paul (or whatever his real name is) dying. But I accept others do.

I don't care, many others don't. Why catholics must care about us not caring boggles the mind. Get over it.

An old man finally died. He had a good run. :shrug:

Palace_Hero said:
I don't care about the position of Pope, nor John Paul (or whatever his real name is) dying. But I accept others do.

I don't care, many others don't. Why catholics must care about us not caring boggles the mind.

Excellent point. He was a good man, but that's all, a man. As a non Catholic his death doesn't mean more to me than any other man's death.

Party Boy I don't understand your view that it should mean more.

My point is not meant to be taken from a religious point of view, rather from the view point of all the good Pope John Paul did in this world. Whether your religious or not, he did more good than 99% of other people during his lifetime - (trying to bring other religions closer, helping end communism, always being vocal about anti-war stance, trying to get all of us to live by certain morals etc.).
To me, in this context, he did more than most, if not any other public figure in my lifetime. I cannot think of anyone who comes close.
In that context, that is why everyone, not just Catholics should mourn.

Party Boy said:
Whether your religious or not, he did more good than 99% of other people during his lifetime

See I don't see that at all, but that's all I'm going to say. For this isn't the time or place.

Learn not to take everything so litterally. Of course it is up for debate only because the bootleg is made available...otherwise nobody would have ever known.

Party Boy said:
My point is not meant to be taken from a religious point of view, rather from the view point of all the good Pope John Paul did in this world. Whether your religious or not, he did more good than 99% of other people during his lifetime - (trying to bring other religions closer, helping end communism, always being vocal about anti-war stance, trying to get all of us to live by certain morals etc.).
To me, in this context, he did more than most, if not any other public figure in my lifetime. I cannot think of anyone who comes close.
In that context, that is why everyone, not just Catholics should mourn.

there are many people, catholics included, who see the pope as as the leader of an antiquated institution, whose doctrine hasn't kept up with the realities of modern-day life.

the mantle of "popedom" comes with it the inherent responsibilities of answering for the sins of the Church (capital C intended). from the crusades to the spanish inquisition to the current paedophilia scandals involving priests, and the Church's outright refusal to grant women responsibility over their own bodies; there are a lot of people who do not agree with the Church's actions or it's stance on many issues/events. the pope, as the figurehead of the Church, whether he is responsible or not, bears the brunt of this censure.

like when sinead o'connor ripped up his picture on tv because the catholic church is against divorce and contraception. the pope is a symbol for all that is good about the Church, as well as all that is bad.

i do think he did a lot of good things in his lifetime. but i believe that was part of his mandate as pope. if you're designated God's Emissary on earth and then you shut yourself up in your vatican apartment, what good are you as a pope, really? i don't believe that he was an evil or malicious person. i'd like to believe that he acted with a goodness of heart and a faith that what he was doing was right in the eyes of God. the repercussions of this, of course, are that his support or condemnation of certain "ideals" results in large groups of people feeling that they are further from God - in the pope's eyes anyway.

i really don't expect everyone to be in mourning for the pope. my feelings are quite mixed at the moment. i do feel more sympathetic towards him now that he's passed. but in my heart i know that i disagree with many things that he stood for. does that make me a bad person? i don't know. good old catholic guilt - will it ever go away?

i honestly don't know whether this should be closed or moved or what. i think there's been enough threads on the topic of the pope, and this doesn't really belong in eykiw. fym is a better place for that. since there is already a huge thread there, i'm not going to move this one.

if you'd like to talk about the pope, please feel free to talk there. i guess the link would help, huh? :wink: http://forum.interference.com/t120972.html :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom