The Killers covers "With Or Without You"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
terrible, the gutar player came probably right from the campfire, there is a thing about u2 songs, they look kinda simplisic, but no one can make them sound like u2 can, the magic is missing terribly

Nope, I didn't like the "vibrato" or whatever it was he used in this cover. Not at all. Killed the song badly, no pun intended. I didn't like their version of Ultraviolet, and this was no different. I still like their original stuff though.

AndrewCowley said:
Brandon has an amazing voice.

This.

Sad for the people who can't view this as an excellent homage. It isn't even meant to be a full cover - it's like U2 doing when will I see you again before stuck - it's an intro to another song. Great to see Brandon's voice back in full tilt.

It's just a nice little tribute, nothing more or less. Well done, good vocals

Sad for the people who can't view this as an excellent homage. It isn't even meant to be a full cover - it's like U2 doing when will I see you again before stuck - it's an intro to another song. Great to see Brandon's voice back in full tilt.

That's what I took it as too. I wonder if they'll ever get around to covering Ultra Violet live though... they've played Joy Division's Shadowplay for who knows how long, so it's not like it'd be out of the question!

He has a good singing ability, but the thing is he sang it like a singing competition contestant, kinda like a studied musical singer. And the guitarist didn´t even attempt to do justice to this song, maybe he would have failed but he didn´t even try anything. I was watching Glastonbury the other day and Bono threw a few snippets like Movin´on up, Jerusalem, Yellow, Arrows of desire and it was all great and authetic

Thaavi said:
He has a good singing ability, but the thing is he sang it like a singing competition contestant, kinda like a studied musical singer. And the guitarist didn´t even attempt to do justice to this song, maybe he would have failed but he didn´t even try anything. I was watching Glastonbury the other day and Bono threw a few snippets like Movin´on up, Jerusalem, Yellow, Arrows of desire and it was all great and authetic

Jerusalem was dreadfull i was there and everybody was like "what the f##k"

Yellow was good and i loved the beyonce snippet during mysterious ways.

This "cover" is further proof that U2 songs should never be just a guy singing over an acoustic guitar. U2 themselves can't even pull that off.

Jerusalem was dreadfull i was there and everybody was like "what the f##k"

Yellow was good and i loved the beyonce snippet during mysterious ways.

No way! Jerusalem was great and surprising. It is not an easy song melodicaly and as far as phrasing is concerned. And Bono pulled it off. And moreover he did it his own way. It worked perfectly as segue to Streets as well.

Let me notice, when Bono sings someone other´s songs he does it always his own way, which is a very unique ability and very often it sounds better than the original. Mostly singers just do a plain covers of the songs and that is never interesting although they are good musicians.

I had no problem with the Jerusalem-snippet. He sang it well, although a bit rushed. What I didn't like however was how it segued into Streets. That transition works best when it's long, very harmonic and when you can sort of sense what's about to come. That's when it's truly magical. Here it just sort of appeared suddenly (that The Edge messed up his guitar intro didn't help either) which felt like a huge anti-climax.

The snippets of Rain, Amazing Grace, Hallelujah etc. worked much better for that purpose on the 360-tour IMO.

I had no problem with the Jerusalem-snippet. He sang it well, although a bit rushed. What I didn't like however was how it segued into Streets. That transition works best when it's long, very harmonic and when you can sort of sense what's about to come. That's when it's truly magical. Here it just sort of appeared suddenly (that The Edge messed up his guitar intro didn't help either) which felt like a huge anti-climax.

The snippets of Rain, Amazing Grace, Hallelujah etc. worked much better for that purpose on the 360-tour IMO.

Btw. Amazing grace segue - that was an unsuccesful attempt, the problem was that it was way too high to sing to fit with the streets opening harmony, it was impossible to sing, the same happened with MLK on a 360 tour

To be fair, Killers did a magnificient job with Ultraviolet, maybe the best U2 cover ever done, it is so original and so good

To be fair, Killers did a magnificient job with Ultraviolet, maybe the best U2 cover ever done, it is so original and so good

Except the start is terrible. Once it gets going its terrific.

Jack White's cover of Love is Blindness was the best thing on the album. And I have to reluctantly give credit to The Fray, who I also thought did a good job with Tryin to Throw.

Snow Patrol and Mysterious Ways however :lmao:

If Snow Patrol were a country, I think they could be held in violation of the Geneva Convention for that cover.

EHHHHHHH, nice tribute, but I couldn't tell what bloody song it even was until Brandon started singing and he was choppy, lacked passion, etc etc, this song is supposed to be intense, I mean like R&H movie intense, gosh!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom