Teaching Children To Hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Palestinian Text Books from grade 1 on up begin to instill the following into the children of Palestine:

*Religious tolorance towards Christians almost exclusively.
*Elimination of the Jewish presence in the history of the region, which ultimately reinforces the belief that the Jewish people have no claim to the land.
*Jerusalem is portrayed as the capital of Palestine while the Religious and Political significance of Jerusalem to Israel is not mentioned in any text book.
*The State of Israel is not represented in their text books.
*When Israel is written about it is calle the "Land of 1948", The interior, and Jews are referred to as occupation, Zionists, or settlers and even better a FOREIGN OCCUPIER OF PALESTINE.
*Holy sites which have significance to both Palesitnians and Israelis do not mention the significiance to the Jewish People.
*Maps Do not identify Israel as a State .
*Martyrdom is presented historically as well as a present day duty to free the Homeland. (While homeland is not generally considered to be inside the State of Israel Many of the text books identify areas of the State of Israel as part of the HOMELAND; using the words "on our entire national soil" in reference to the esablishement of a Palestinian State including the land now the State of Israel)
*Agreements made between the PLO and Israel are mentioned briefly, but not discussed nor presented adequetly.
* Jerusalem is portrayed as the future capital of Palestine.
*Not ONE reference towards peace or tolorance towards Jews, while it does promote tolorance between Christians and Muslims.

http://www.ipcri.org/index1.html

There were some good things to be said as well about the relatively new textbooks. However, the omissions from the textbooks speak volumes about the situation. It reinforces a belief in the Palestinian youth that Israel has no historical claim to the land. It reinforces the belief that the State of Israel is in fact and occupying force even on the land that is today recognized as Israel. It fails to adequetly teach about agreements that have been reached between Israel and the PLO. It does reinforce how good it is to become a martyr ro free the homeland.

Interesting stuff. On a side note.......They will be evaluating Israel's textbooks as well. I am looking forward to seeing their results.

They have taken some controversial passages out of textbooks in Saudi Arabia. But I think some are still left in there, much to the dismay of the liberal element in that country.

What I find troublesome, is that this is a revision, that if I am not mistaken was done through the UN. I am still working on traking this down. If it is true, it would demonstrate in my mind, a serious slant in opinion on the part of the UN. These texts were created to help create peace in the region. In fairness, much hatred was removed from the texts that were used in prior years. It is still troublesome, not by what was said in the text, but by what is ommitted in the text.

Back
Top Bottom