Springsteen V ~ Super Bowl Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was standing in line next to a guy who had tickets to the sox/yankees game as well, and had to choose between that and bruce. he said it was one hell of a tough choice.

snot rockets lol, I didn't see so many this time around and Patti wasn't there.. however I remember them flying left and right at the Magic show I went to and at one point Bruce used his foot to wipe the floor with a towel and when he was done he used it to dry his face.. that was pretty gross. I never understood the sponge thing, I mean it's one thing to use it cool off but the drinking off it and the drinking from the bin grossed me out.

i was really hoping for that one at one of the shows i went to. so close, yet...no.

So I've been searching the messageboards and craigslist the past couple of days for anyone looking to get rid of a ticket for less than face... i wanted to go to the show at the coliseum last night but money's a little tight right now and even though i could afford it the fiscally responsible thing to do (esp. after laying out for u2 twice, knowing that pearl jam might play in the fall, and having seen bruce 3 times last year) was to skip this time around.

so anyhoo... i get home from work around 6ish, showered up and sat down to watch some TV... opened up the laptop and decided even though it was now 6:30 and the show was at 7:30, why not check out backstreets.com one last time.

low and behold there's a guy on there trying to get rid of 4 tickets last minute at under face. three of them had already been sold... now under an hour from show time i shoot him an PM asking if he'd take 30 bucks for his last remaining ticket... i get a PM right back saying yes... send him off the money via pay pal, he e-mails me the ticket... bada bing bada boom i'm hopping in my car at 6:50 to get to the show.

i'm only 10 minutes from the coliseum but it took forever to park. the douche'o'rama sent a bunch of people to the other side of the parking field when you could clearly see there were spots available from where he was sending us away from. so i had to do an f'ing 360 around the damn colisuem to end up right back next to douche boy who sent me the other way. got into my seats with about 5-10 minutes to spare.

what a fantastic show... i'm glad i didn't miss this time around. my suspicions that they only released this album as an excuse to tour again 'cause they don't know how much time they all have left as a band have only grown larger when considering the setlist only had 4 songs from Working on a Dream (technicaly 3 as The Wrestler, which is beautiful live btw, was a bonus track). but hey... fuck it. they were on top of their game and really rocking out.

opening with badlands is certainly an interesting change of pace. get the crowd rolling right off the bad, why the hell not. outlaw pete is a killer track live.. and i love what they've done with johnny 99. when ghost for tom joad came on i was secretly hoping that tom morello would pop out because he and bruce had played together the night before at the pete seeger thing at the garden, but no luck... but it didn't matter 'cause Nils absolutely killed the second solo.

the sign/request portion brought out (long island) expressway to your heart as the cover, for you, rendevous and night... more requests than normal (which ended up screwing me in the end damn it!)

hard times is a great reentry from the encore... got jungleland once again, which is always fantastic... land of hope and dreams followed to keep it going, american land just takes over the building when it's played now... then the post american land song was dancing in the dark, which was kinda a downer because at the end of american land bruce was on the video screens and a giant sign behind him in the crowd read "will rosie come out tongiht?" and he kinda acknowledged it... but then at the end of dancing in the dark when a lot of the crowd has started to leave, he goes over to get another guitar and off they go into rosalita... great way to end a great show.

only thing i'm pissed about is looking at the handwritten setlist... thunder road was supposed to follow jungleland... i guess it was skipped 'cause they played longer in the request section, i dunno. thunder road's still the song i haven't heard that i'm dying to hear (that and meeting across the river before jungleland)... so close, so far away.

YouTube - Bruce Springsteen - (L.I.) Expressway To Your Heart live 5/04/09 dvd Nassau, NY 16x9 HQ RARE!

I was there too, in the pit!
I got Bruce's attention several times. i had a sign that was asking for a pick because i play guitar. and since i wasnt very close to the stage or bstage thing, he couldnt get one to me but...
he blew me a kiss :D

it was my first springsteen show, absolutely phenomenal.

they really were fantastic when i saw them... might be the best show i've seen 'em do, even better than night 3 at giants stadium last summer.

the stump the band thing is cool, but i think they let the cat out of the bag when they were overheard playing Expressway To Your Heart in soundcheck, and that ended up being one of the signs cooincidently picked out of the crowd.

i mean i know southside johnny did a cover of expressway to your heart, and there's the bruce connection there and all, but that's a little too ironic. i've lived on long island my entire life, and i was trying to think all day of what long island themed song they may break out in the stump the band section, and i never once thought of expressway to your heart. the long island expressway doesn't even go to the coliseum :wink:

great night... band was solid

Start: 8:24 pm

1. Badlands
2. No Surrender
3. Outlaw Pete
4. She's The One
5. Working On A Dream
6. Seeds
7. Johnny 99
8. Ghost of Tom Joad
9. Raise Your Hand
10. Out In The Street (sign request)
11. Little Latin Lupe Lu (tour premire, sign request)
(with a snippet of Hava Nagilah)
12. Blinded By The Light (tour premiere, sign request)
13. Waitin' On A Sunny Day
14. The Promised Land
15. The Wrestler
16. Kingdom of Days
17. Radio Nowhere
18. Lonesome Day
19. The Rising
20. Born To Run

Encores:
21. Hard Times
22. Kitty's Back
23. Land of Hope & Dreams
24. American Land (Hail to the Chief riff)
25. Rosalita (request sign: "Obama called and wants Rosie")

Show over at 11:08 pm

Saw them Friday night at Hershey. The GA experience in line was AWFUL, but the concert was probably the best I've ever seen. So much fun. My wife knew exactly two songs (whereas I was hoarse from singing after about half of the set or less), but she still had a blast. Said it was the best concert she'd ever been to. She hates concerts in general, so that was really impressive.

so, yeah, last night in DC was pretty great. vhis energy -- and biceps -- were noticeably improved from 2007. my complaint was that i preferred the 2007 setlist because i actually like a lot of "Magic," and he played some "Tunnel of Love" stuff that i'd never heard live before. i was also way, way up there maybe 5 rows from the top, so the sound gets muddy (and i couldn't blame all of that on Patty).

all that said, it was a customarily superb show, and i'm pretty amazed at the actual individual musical capabilities of each of the band members, and i'm also amazed at how Bruce continues to make it all look spontaneous and how thunderous his speechifyin' is. other observations:

1. i have as much stage presence as Patti
2. she was notably egregious in "Kingdom of Days" which, as headache noted in another thread, is when everyone goes to the bathroom
3. the whole sign-setlist thing is genius
4. the lighting and stage setup is archaic
5. i generally don't like DC audiences since it's all "important" people who were given tickets as a favor
6. Born To Run = Where The Streets Have No Name
7. The Rising = Beautiful Day
8. "Hard Times" from 1855 might have been the best song of the night
9. the men at this show were shockingly hot -- where did they all come from?
10. every time i see him i am reminded that he's an incredible guitarist
11. "No Surrender" kills me for deeply personal reasons
12. i thought i would use "outlaw pete" to hit the men's room, but it was so good that i stayed and went during "little latin lupe lu"

so rumor is that he's back in the fall? i certainly hope so.

need better seats.

:yes:

As for the setlist, I've only seen him solo, so for me this was a near perfect set. At least some representation from every E-Street band record with a good smattering of solo songs and rarities. I had wanted to hear "Bobby Jean" so bad on the Devils and Dust tour that I nearly cried when it was the final encore. I really thought it was over with "Rosalita." Also no Patti. :up: And on other absences, Maxlessness was okay because Jay is awesome and ridiculously adorable.

1. Badlands
  2. Spirit in the Night
  3. Outlaw Pete
  4. Radio Nowhere
  5. Out in the Street
  6. Twist and Shout
  7. Working on a Dream
  8. Seeds
  9. Johnny 99
  10. The Ghost of Tom Joad
  11. Raise Your Hand
  12. Give the Girl a Kiss
  13. Trapped
  14. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
  15. The Promised Land
  16. Backstreets
  17. Kingdom of Days
  18. Lonesome Day
  19. The Rising
  20. Born to Run
  21. Hard Times
  22. Thunder Road
  23. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
  24. Land of Hope and Dreams
  25. American Land
  26. Rosalita
  27. Bobby Jean

Springsteen's guitar playing really has improved over the years. He was pretty average during the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom