Songs of Ascent: the lost album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an article today on Corriere Della Sera, an Italian newspaper, about BB King. It says that Bono invited BB King to sing on U2 new album :hmm:
here's the source: B. B. King, un disco con gli U2 �Bono mi fa sentire pi� giovane� - Corriere della Sera
Circa un mese fa Bono gli ha telefonato chiedendogli di partecipare a parecchi brani del nuovo album degli U2 la cui lavorazione comincerà a settembre.
It says that more or less one month ago Bono phoned him asking to partecipate to some tracks of the new U2 album, whose recording will be starting on september.

Recordings starting in September? If the report is accurate, I think that would be the end of any 2010 album plans.....

well, in the article it says "lavorazione", which is a rather ambiguous term, so take it with a grain of salt.

True, but they we're in the middle of the tour and managed to get Zooropa out on the shelves. And they seem to be pretty far in the progress considering that Bono and Edge has been working on things, they had finished stuff from No Line On The Horizon (Every Breaking Wave) and reworking some old songs (Winter), not to mention how they seemingly want to roadtest songs for the upcoming legs.

The thought that McGuinness would even think of saying there's an increased likelihood that a new U2 album will see the light of day before 2010 is over indicates that there's something going on, but what we don't know for sure of course.

If they're in NYC I'm going to start keeping an eye on the gawker stalker. If only to lobby Bono to play some Pop era songs if I can track him down..

Just saw something by ESPN's Bill Simmons (a funny, excellent sportswriter, in my opinion) that I thought was worth sharing for some perspective on how the public probably perceives NLOTH (hey, I love it, but this struck a chord) and why U2 might have a reasonable wish to go back to the drawing board:

He was making up awards to give to NBA players for playoff performances:

THE WHATEVER-THE-HELL-U2'S-LAST-ALBUM-WAS-CALLED AWARD FOR "MOST ABRUPT END TO A PHENOMENAL RUN"
:sad:

"I think young people today who approach music do just to make money and not for a true passion."

So true. Sure, he's generalizing and of course there still are young people who has true passion in music, but the ones you see on the market and hear on the radio (Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, etc.) are only there to make money for themselves and the record labels.

To say something about SoA: I think if what's been told about BB King invited to sing on a new song is true it's really good news for those wanting something more similar to Rattle & Hum. This kind of conflicts with the reports of experimenting with more electronic music (I haven't heard much of BB King, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't do much electronic music the way I imagine it at least), but perhaps they'll make a mix of different styles (sort of like they did with NLOTH).

So true. Sure, he's generalizing and of course there still are young people who has true passion in music, but the ones you see on the market and hear on the radio (Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, etc.) are only there to make money for themselves and the record labels.
Well "the ones you see on the market and hear on the radio", it's been true for a looooong time that 90% of that group is in it for the money, so the original statement is a pretty ridiculous generalization.

To say something about SoA: I think if what's been told about BB King invited to sing on a new song is true it's really good news for those wanting something more similar to Rattle & Hum. This kind of conflicts with the reports of experimenting with more electronic music (I haven't heard much of BB King, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't do much electronic music the way I imagine it at least), but perhaps they'll make a mix of different styles (sort of like they did with NLOTH).

Jump to conclusion much? First of all the bad translation said they asked BB King to "sing" on a few tracks. Secondly, to say R&H part 2 is silly. BB King's voice has been looped to create a backing track for Primitive Radio Gods, and his guitar work has been used on a few pretty experimental songs in the past.

Jump to conclusion much? First of all the bad translation said they asked BB King to "sing" on a few tracks. Secondly, to say R&H part 2 is silly. BB King's voice has been looped to create a backing track for Primitive Radio Gods, and his guitar work has been used on a few pretty experimental songs in the past.

think it's more likely that the band will use him in a traditional manner

I'll go on record here: there's no way in hell that another U2 album will feature BB King.

Then there's the possibility that they'll record a new track (i.e. finishing up an Rattle and Hum leftover/demo) for a future Rattle and Hum remaster...right?

Could be anything or nothing I guess. :lol:

Then there's the possibility that they'll record a new track (i.e. finishing up an Rattle and Hum leftover/demo) for a future Rattle and Hum remaster...right?

actually.. this is not unlikely

I agree that the article sounds very sketchy. When I read it, I was all :scratch:
Besides, that newspaper is the only one that stated this rumour.
And btw I'm sorry for the bad translation :| I was in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom