Songs of Ascent: the lost album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Word was that they had rehearsed a new arrangement of EBTTRT last spring, but it never materialized.

I have no preference on EBTTRT. Not a bad song, not a great song. My only concern is what is it going to replace in the setlist? I imagine they will trade out one AB song for another. I just hope Ultraviolet doesn't get the axe, as it was one of my highlights for the show. I hope they drop MW for it and keep UTEOTW and Ultraviolet... although I know I'm in the minority when you count the casual fans.

I have no preference on EBTTRT. Not a bad song, not a great song. My only concern is what is it going to replace in the setlist? I imagine they will trade out one AB song for another. I just hope Ultraviolet doesn't get the axe, as it was one of my highlights for the show. I hope they drop MW for it and keep UTEOTW and Ultraviolet... although I know I'm in the minority when you count the casual fans.

MW can go thank you very much!

It has very quickly and somewhat quietly become the new Bullet in a way- great song, great live performances, but they became not so great when they were overplayed.

Every night on Zoo TV, every night on Popmart, damn near every night on Elevation and legs 1, 4, 5 and sometimes 3 of Vertigo.

Every night on 360 leg 2, and the worst performances ever of the song.

I don't see any case being made for MW other than "time for a rest."

If I had my way, it would sit out all of 2010 and if 360 goes into 2011, give it 2 or 3 good performances with the long intro and slide solo included!

EBTTRT is definitely do for a comeback.

I think Until The End of The World will stay in the rotation, but unfortunately will probably not be a nightly staple.

As for Ultraviolet, I hope and pray they keep that.

Agreed about MW unfortunately. :( Love the song and it was no less than epic on ZooTV and Popmart. 360 not so much, and unless they go back to playing it like they used to it needs a rest. EBTTRT taking it's place now would be awesome. And UV must stay!!

I thought MW was really watered down when I saw it in Houston, but I still really really really enjoyed it.

Every night on Zoo TV, every night on Popmart, damn near every night on Elevation and legs 1, 4, 5 and sometimes 3 of Vertigo.

It actually skipped most of Elevation's third leg (where it was still amazing - loved the new intro), but I agree with everything you've said. Mysterious Ways is useless live without the guitar solo and Bono's crazy improvs in the ending. One of many disappointments I had with this tour, but that's another topic. Lets hope these rumours about Even Better Than the Real Thing have some merit, although I call bullshit for now.

And you never know, maybe they do pull their heads out of their arses and realize that The Fly is their perfect live song and ideal for this stage setup. Oh shit, maybe they would cut that guitar solo as well! ;)

Well, Mat McGee (owner of atu2.com) emailed that cover band...

When U2 takes a break next month to play the Glastonbury Festival, it looks like they'll be playing "Even Better Than the Real Thing." On their web site, the Australian U2 Show tribute band says that video footage of their band will be shown on the video screens at Glastonbury as U2 performs "Even Better...." I emailed the band a couple days ago, and Gary Morris responded with this info:

Just under two weeks ago I was contacted by Dublin production company, Blinker Ltd, asking for permission a) to use footage of us and b) asking for high quality copies of our footage ASAP. Not quite sure if it was legit (we get alot of mail from praise to 'how dare you try and be U2'), I uploaded a selection of our Zoo TV footage and a Bono sculpture I did and we crossed our fingers. I've since been informed that our footage has been selected to be screened with U2 during their performance of 'Even Better Than The Real Thing' at the Glastonbury Festival. I've done Tv and radio commercials, fooled alot of people, even performed for the promoter Michael Coppel who brings them down under. I never thought they'd do us this honour.

If all this pans out, it'll be U2's first performance of "Even Better..." since June 9, 2001.

:hmm: A little too close to Dana Garvey drumming with U2 in the 90's - same song, no less - but any new song is a good song.

there's no good time for Even better .... to return
I hope it's restricted to Glasto

MW works better for me on 360 then it did during POPMart and Elevation
just prefer it at the first part of the show, solo or no solo

there's no good time for Even better .... to return
I hope it's restricted to Glasto

Nah. Should be a regular.

MW works better for me on 360 then it did during POPMart and Elevation just prefer it at the first part of the show, solo or no solo

Plenty of Elevation gigs had it at number 4 in the setlist. On 360 it was sometimes the final song before the encore. A bit puzzling that cutting and butchering the song up is less important than its placement in the setlist, but that's just me I guess.

:drool: I really hope they make it a regular. One of my favorites from Achtung. I just hopthey don't drop UV to replace it with.

Well, Mat McGee (owner of atu2.com) emailed that cover band...

When U2 takes a break next month to play the Glastonbury Festival, it looks like they'll be playing "Even Better Than the Real Thing." On their web site, the Australian U2 Show tribute band says that video footage of their band will be shown on the video screens at Glastonbury as U2 performs "Even Better...." I emailed the band a couple days ago, and Gary Morris responded with this info:

Just under two weeks ago I was contacted by Dublin production company, Blinker Ltd, asking for permission a) to use footage of us and b) asking for high quality copies of our footage ASAP. Not quite sure if it was legit (we get alot of mail from praise to 'how dare you try and be U2'), I uploaded a selection of our Zoo TV footage and a Bono sculpture I did and we crossed our fingers. I've since been informed that our footage has been selected to be screened with U2 during their performance of 'Even Better Than The Real Thing' at the Glastonbury Festival. I've done Tv and radio commercials, fooled alot of people, even performed for the promoter Michael Coppel who brings them down under. I never thought they'd do us this honour.

If all this pans out, it'll be U2's first performance of "Even Better..." since June 9, 2001.

:hmm: A little too close to Dana Garvey drumming with U2 in the 90's - same song, no less - but any new song is a good song.

i call bullshit in that nobody from the band themselves contacted them. some random dublin production company that doesn't even show up in a google search is doing video for U2 at glastonbury?

Plenty of Elevation gigs had it at number 4 in the setlist. On 360 it was sometimes the final song before the encore. A bit puzzling that cutting and butchering the song up is less important than its placement in the setlist, but that's just me I guess.
the song never did enough for me that I could consider it butchered no matter what they did to it
without the solo it's just a nice short change of pace/rhythm
which suits the song's strength
IMO

I actually agree about MW being better early in the set--it really fits with the whole joyful Beautiful Day high energy stuff at the beginning. It's great at the end too, but only because of (and if there's) the solo and long ending. The early part of the song, in terms of mood, seems out of place with the more earnest stuff going on toward the end of a show. I was really surprised at how well I (and the entire crowd) responded to this song at the #3 spot in Charlottesville.

Playing the song with no extended intro really suits the early setlist position. The crowds in Foxboro and East Ruthersford really got into it early in the setlist as well. I thought it was pretty good there. Of course, if they want to experiment and play other songs in its stead, I'm cool with that, but I like Mysterious Ways enough that I'm fine with them sticking with that too.

I actually agree about MW being better early in the set--it really fits with the whole joyful Beautiful Day high energy stuff at the beginning. It's great at the end too, but only because of (and if there's) the solo and long ending. The early part of the song, in terms of mood, seems out of place with the more earnest stuff going on toward the end of a show. I was really surprised at how well I (and the entire crowd) responded to this song at the #3 spot in Charlottesville.

i agree with you, and i think Norman agreed with you too...

YouTube - DZMonk's Channel

:wink::up:

soooooo when does everyone think we'll actually hear our next bit of news regarding a new release?

before Glasto?
late summer?
next year?

I would expect we'll hear something by Glastonbury..

It sure has been quiet lately.

sure has.. there's only been one tidbit of info since January 15.. and that's the tweet from the RS editor, regarding an "increasingly likely" 2010 release.. four months of pure conjecture!

I wanted to make a long post of additional conjecture, but I think I'm conjectured out. Nothing/anything would surprise me at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom