Songs of Ascent: the lost album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
atu2 are reporting that, according by tweets from London's Artillery studios, Declan Gaffney has been there recently mixing tracks for U2:

Who is Declan Gaffney and why is he mixing tracks for U2? - @U2 Blog

That's interesting, it could be live tracks, it could be single b-sides, it could be audio extra tracks for the DVD but it ultimately could also be SOA tracks, I suppose.

It's a good sign that things are moving, though...

I don't know if this has already been specifically discussed but as I stated weeks ago I think the reason why SOA could indeed become a "lost album" is because U2 right now needs to find a new approach and a sister album to NLOTH can't be considered like one for obvious reasons. NLOTH ended the forth trilogy so now they need to start a new era which means not only finding a new kind of sound but more importantly finding a new goal for them to make music and a new way of thinking this music.

Of course all trilogies have similarities in terms of sounds and the kind of music they were making but more importantly they have very distinct philosophies: the first trilogy was all about creating their own style and when that was achieved with WAR and especially SBS and NYD they have to move forward and find a new purpose. The next trilogy was all about learning and taking inspiration from older and more traditional rock n'roll music and artists. The third trilogy's approach was to "kill the monster", reinvent themselves and find a new U2 sound which was as different as possible from classic U2 songs. The last trilogy eventually was all about looking backward to all what they have done and learned from all these years to create the best possible songs and albums.

Who knows what will be the next step but there must be one, they have to find a new purpose to continue to make music and again that's probably not what a NLOTH 2 can do no matter how great those songs are. That's probably why they need more time to reconsider these songs or create totally new ones even if they have a complete new album ready. But more wait ultimately means more changes to come which can only be very exciting. /my 2 cents.

atu2 are reporting that, according by tweets from London's Artillery studios, Declan Gaffney has been there recently mixing tracks for U2:

Who is Declan Gaffney and why is he mixing tracks for U2? - @U2 Blog

That's interesting, it could be live tracks, it could be single b-sides, it could be audio extra tracks for the DVD but it ultimately could also be SOA tracks, I suppose.

It's a good sign that things are moving, though...

Yeah, I brought it up a couple of pages back: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/songs-of-ascent-the-lost-album-205457-30.html#post6733245

wouldn't it make sense, considering as this declan guy did all of this...

In 2009 he mixed half of U2’s album “No Line On The Horizon” as well as being the sole mixer and co-producer of the lead single from that album. His relationship with U2 continued throughout the year as he mixed all u2’s live broadcast appearances, including 5 appearances on the David Letterman show, a live show from the roof of the BBC Broadcasting House, U2 360 live from Sheffield and u2 360 live from LA Rose Bowl, the largest ever internet streaming and first live broadcast on Youtube (over 10 million viewers). He was given the role of Sound Production Consultant for the U2 360 stadium tour and contributed the original piece “Little Tin Galaxy” to the show as well as setting up and recording live link ups between the the International Space Center and the U2 show.

... that he's probably mixing the 360 DVD, or, if that's done already, getting some backing tracks or intro tracks ready for the tour?

Dude, really? :lol:
You haven't heard the song? You should. They're good. :up:

Search Youtube, it's there probably. I'll try and send it to you after I get back from work.

Given all of the mixing work he's done for the band - it could be ANYTHING. :ohmy:

This.

I don't know why his live credentials automatically would suggest he's only working on the DVD.

And I still say that a 5.1 Surround Sound DVD mix is not the same as your standard live mix job, and is likely being overseen by someone else. But we won't know until we see the official release credits.

This.

I don't know why his live credentials automatically would suggest he's only working on the DVD.

And I still say that a 5.1 Surround Sound DVD mix is not the same as your standard live mix job, and is likely being overseen by someone else. But we won't know until we see the official release credits.

because if the new album was already in the mixing phase the u2 hype machine would currently be at ludacris speed.

so the common sense approach would be to say "hey! this guy already did the mixing for the youtube broadcast, not exactly a stretch to say he's doing it for the DVD release, too."

What would really clear this up would be to see if anyone knows what the time line for something like this normally is. I.e. Is it too late to be mixing the DVD given its release date? It doesn't seem to be, but a few days ago someone was saying that the mixing for the DVD would already have to be finished at this point.

Also, U2 may have only 4 or 5 finished songs that they're excited about, and so he could be mixing those even if a complete album is still far off (due to the tour interruption).

because if the new album was already in the mixing phase the u2 hype machine would currently be at ludacris speed.

so the common sense approach would be to say "hey! this guy already did the mixing for the youtube broadcast, not exactly a stretch to say he's doing it for the DVD release, too."

Well because this new material (whatever form it may be) seems to be cobbled together from various, sporadic sessions, as opposed to a much more intensive recording period (like the one in Fez for the last album), I don't know that it's all going to be mixed at one time. Perhaps they have a lot of stuff to sift through and are mixing tracks to see what works together. :shrug:

But again, the YouTube mix would have been in simple stereo, and is a completely different process than separating for 5.1 surround. I'm not saying the guy isn't qualified to do it, but the credits for their previous live DVD releases show some outsider handling those duties.

Could he be working on some of the bonus material? More likely.

u2floridafan sent me this video from MTV. It's probably the only time I've actually heard someone ask about Songs of Ascent. How pissed does Larry look when Sway asks him and Edge about it. I wonder if Larry punched Bono in the face after leaving that interview. :lmao:

Will There Be Another New Album In '09? | News Video | MTV

"We have talked about another album. We certainly have loads of material."

So, tell me again, why would they ever consider releasing an EP at this stage? I don't see it.

u2floridafan sent me this video from MTV. It's probably the only time I've actually heard someone ask about Songs of Ascent. How pissed does Larry look when Sway asks him and Edge about it. I wonder if Larry punched Bono in the face after leaving that interview. :lmao:

Will There Be Another New Album In '09? | News Video | MTV

Priceless. The excuses for the delays are even better. "We've done the Superbowl." :lol: Wasn't that like in 2002, Lawrence?

:giggle: I'm sure Larry meant the SuperDOME... I hope that's what he meant anyway :lol:

I like how Edge is just staring at him :ohmy:

hmm ... thinking out loud ... so we have various material from Songs of Ascent ... the material from the Spider-Man musical ... the Rick Rubin sessions ... wow ... there's a lot of stuff floating out there ... a lot of stuff brewing in the pot ... three babies in the womb ... they gotta give birth to some kind of album soon.

I actually loved this interview. Real questions (albeit an old interview and things change) that had real answers. I love the way Larry puts things, no spin, no bullshit. We always suspected here that the songs from Rubin were "safe" aka All My Life. Could they put out an album quicker? sure, but the band doesn't really work that way. With Bono's work and the bands family lives they need to spread out the time fairly.
That being said, it was good to hear that there was loads of material.
As others have said, Edge and Larry's looks were priceless for this interview. Also like the Brian Eno stuff. :up:

Yeah, I noticed that. I can imagine Edge thinking, "shit, I thought being interviewed with Larry instead of Bono meant I could get a word in. I guess not. Next interview I sit with Adam." :lol:

Thank you.

This made me laugh.

We always suspected here that the songs from Rubin were "safe" aka All My Life.

i still wish they would have put out the Rubin material.

the way i see it No Line was a compromise between the "safe" material and the more experimental side of the band... not "safe" (whatever that means" enough to be a huge commercial smash, not different enough to be this new grand experimentation that everyone raves about... so instead it's just kinda stuck in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom