SOI autopsy - what went wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a fair and valid point, although I would argue that the bad taste left by the release method skewed opinions negatively before anyone even listened to it.

Yeah, probably. But I think that if people liked the album more then opinions would have been skewed back. Maybe not, though. Maybe people are just really, really tired of U2 and the reception would have been negative regardless of how they presented the album, or the quality. I think this era may be too cynical for U2.

Of course are there people who don't like it. They've always been there! Now we know because of the internet . By the way, there are loads of people who like the album.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Well yeah, the ani-U2 sentiment is a lot stronger because we can see it online. But just look at the reviews. They're awful.

I think that people don't like the album is fairly obvious, but the reason why may not be entirely because of the music but also towards the release method. If it was just released, some would've liked it, some would've disliked it, but people would've chosen themselves to listen to it. Now it felt forced somehow (which of course is nonsense as you can choose to auto sync or not, but that's a different matter) and simple psychology is that when you force something on someone, they'll dislike it more easily simply because they have to (Eat your bloody peas!). So perhaps that skewed people's perception of the album, starting to listen with a negative mood so it never connected to them.

Everything about this album is perfect, except a few details :) Like awful choice of a lead single, bad choice with acoustic performances, terrible video for Waves that came too late, then of course Bono´s accident. It is an eternal shame. Because this album is one of U2´s best 3 records they ever did and I´m so happy and proud of the band for being able to create such a record at this point of their career, but also I feel very sorry for them, that they didn´t get the well deserved response from the public.

I think that people don't like the album is fairly obvious, but the reason why may not be entirely because of the music but also towards the release method. If it was just released, some would've liked it, some would've disliked it, but people would've chosen themselves to listen to it. Now it felt forced somehow (which of course is nonsense as you can choose to auto sync or not, but that's a different matter) and simple psychology is that when you force something on someone, they'll dislike it more easily simply because they have to (Eat your bloody peas!). So perhaps that skewed people's perception of the album, starting to listen with a negative mood so it never connected to them.

Yeah, maybe being annoyed by it before listening to it soured people's perceptions.

Well, fuck 'em. Bitches gonna be whiney.

I agree 100%

You won't get your pudding if you don't eat your meat!

The fact that anyone even remotely thinks that LOLcano as a lead-off single would have made an iota of difference shows us just how absolutely fucking shitty the modern state of music is.

/getoffmydamnlawn, etc

maybe those who don't like the album are just making the most noise with their incessant whining, while those who love it are just quietly enjoying it :D

Yeah, maybe being annoyed by it before listening to it soured people's perceptions.

Well, fuck 'em. Bitches gonna be whiney.

Yeah, I don't think that the opinions of whiny teens matter anyway, but apparently U2 cares very much for relevance and being hip. :wink: Sadly nobody ever had the balls to tell them that's pretty much impossible for a bunch of old geezers.

I agree 100%

You won't get your pudding if you don't eat your meat!

:shifty: But I always eat my meat, heh.

maybe those who don't like the album are just making the most noise with their incessant whining, while those who love it are just quietly enjoying it :D

Right, something like the silent majority. :wink:

Let's face it, in the world we live in people take an almost orgasmic pleasure in disliking something. Go to any comments section and you'll see more negative remarks than positive ones. I'm just generally speaking and not necessarily speaking about U2.

I love SOI, but I'm not gonna go shouting from the rooftops telling the world how great is. If people don't like the album, so be it. Sucks for them. Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy it and eagerly look forward to seeing the band this Summer.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, the problem with the new album is that U2 made it. Not some other band that was under 30. Apparently, if you're over 50, you're old and supposed to stop making music and retire to your rocking chair and needlepoint with your cat on your lap.

U2 are in a position now where I think that they are always starting from a negative. People - in general - just aren't open to liking them these days. Before they've heard a note, they're primed to dislike it. And it's lazy to assign that to age. I'm in my late 30's, was a teenager in the 90s. Most of my friends loved U2 then and hate them now. They're not kids. Not hipsters. Not cool and don't chase new/cool things. They're suburban dads with mortgages. They barely exist on social media and don't go near music blogs and whatnot. They grew very tired of U2 very quickly in the 00s, while still completely appreciating those 80s/90s albums and songs they loved so much back then, and because of that - funny enough - still even go to the odd U2 gig when they're in town. All while hating them, and being completely and totally closed to the idea of new U2 music actually being good.

How many of you here have had some conversation with a friend that's gone along the lines of "Listen to this" "What is it?" "It's a new U2 song" "(groan)" "Wait.. WAIT! I know, I know, but just give it a chance..."

???

If it's not really original (ie not really 'U2ey' in one way or another) and if it's not really good, it's not going to dig it's way out of that negative hole it's in just for the fact that it's U2, let alone get anywhere positive.

So the way the release method went down (shoving it down peoples throats) definitely didn't help, but regardless, they were asking the world to listen to something and they just groaned, assigned it a score of -50, and only then gave it a go. And is the album really original and really good? :hmm:

But...but...only hipsters hate U2 because hating U2 is the hipster thing to do. Ernie, you're lying about your friends. Sorry. ;)

The album is neither really good nor really original. It's very good, but not good enough to sway people who are predisposed to dislike U2.

lol Earnie, most of my friends' reaction to me listening to U2 was a collective groan and something about their parents listening to them. :wink:

lol Earnie, most of my friends' reaction to me listening to U2 was a collective groan and something about their parents listening to them. :wink:

:lol: Seems to be the general story line at this time. Sad really:sad:

i'll have you know that some teenagers these days have parents who listen to U2 and are a good decade younger than the band themselves you young whippersnappers :angry:

depends where you are too - French teenagers still seem to love U2... mine saw them last tour and their mates were/are pretty impressed/jealous that they got to see them (along with other bands like The Police, Chilis, metal festivals like Hellfest, Sonisphere, etc.) apparently... i guess U2 gigs might not be very accessible to masses of young people though due to costs/travel involved... around here, teenage concert experiences are mostly limited to small gigs and festivals - none of my kids' mates around here have yet managed to get up to Paris to see big name concerts, but we always kind of treated concert trips as a family holiday or special birthday/christmas presents lol

Right, something like the silent majority. :wink:

Let's face it, in the world we live in people take an almost orgasmic pleasure in disliking something. Go to any comments section and you'll see more negative remarks than positive ones. I'm just generally speaking and not necessarily speaking about U2.

I love SOI, but I'm not gonna go shouting from the rooftops telling the world how great is. If people don't like the album, so be it. Sucks for them. Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy it and eagerly look forward to seeing the band this Summer.

:up:

i'll have you know that some teenagers these days have parents who listen to U2 and are a good decade younger than the band themselves you young whippersnappers :angry:

depends where you are too - French teenagers still seem to love U2...

I don't think I'd even dare to ask teenagers' opinions on the band. :lol: I probably don't want to know what kids listen to these days.

I don't think I'd even dare to ask teenagers' opinions on the band. :lol: I probably don't want to know what kids listen to these days.

omg i love my kids' (age 19 + 17) taste in music - they listen to a massive range of things from reggae, dub step, rapcore, punk to screamy/growly metal - i love it now they're the ones giving me recommendations haha (they're musicians so pretty fussy about what they listen to and despair at the mainsteam/charts)

i never really exposed them to much U2 music growing up, normally they think it's "mum's music", but the other day AB was on the car stereo and my son turned it up and had a good listen and liked it - they did love the live show too...

I don't know any teenagers asides from the kids from work, but when I was one it was already very uncool to like U2. So I can only imagine that it's even worse nowadays.

Yep, even at 90´s I was considered to be a weirdo for liking U2, only when they released ATYCLB people gave them again some credit. Funny thing is that I find that period their most embarrassing :)

When I was a teenager (a whole three years ago!), I definitely had a hard time finding other U2 fans my age. But they weren't nonexistent, and nobody judged me for liking U2.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

When I was a teenager (a whole three years ago!), I definitely had a hard time finding other U2 fans my age. But they weren't nonexistent, and nobody judged me for liking U2.

I left highschool 8 years ago and I was constantly ridiculed for liking 'old fart' music like U2 and Aerosmith. I guess it differs per school. :wink: Luckily the alternative kids were nice and friendly and didn't give a crap about what you listen to besides metal.

Let's please not go down this shit road again. :uhoh:

Ok, I'll put the pin back into the grenade. :wink: I'm a sucker for people who use the word "embarrassing". It obviously seems a tad overdramatic. Embarrassing is when your uncle gets piss drunk at a fancy wedding and runs around buck naked at the reception with a champagne bottle stuck up his ass singing Butterfly Kisses during the Father/Daughter dance. Now that's embarrassing.

I was very fortunate to have grown up when I did. Back in the early 90's when I was a teenager/young adult, you were considered cool for listening to classic rock. That consisted of stuff from the 60's, 70's and the early 80's. U2 wasn't considered classic rock at that point.

Embarrassing is when your uncle gets piss drunk at a fancy wedding and runs around buck naked at the reception with a champagne bottle stuck up his ass singing Butterfly Kisses during the Father/Daughter dance. Now that's embarrassing.

How many times do I have to apologize for that?

What exactly was "embarrassing"? I'm just curious.

The whole PopMart thing might qualify. Giant mirror ball lemon(getting stuck in said lemon) muscle suits, adam and his helmet and face mask...I get the whole "trying to be ironic" theme but it fell flat.

For Me it wasn't embarrassing but perhaps for others....

The whole PopMart thing might qualify. Giant mirror ball lemon(getting stuck in said lemon) muscle suits, adam and his helmet and face mask...I get the whole "trying to be ironic" theme but it fell flat.

Yeah, I would say that was a polarizing time for U2 fans to say the least. The old school fans who "survived" the early 90's transformation were really put to the test during the PopMart era. I mean, I thought it was hilarious (in a good way :wink:), but a lot of folks who took their U2 very seriously weren't digging it.

What exactly was "embarrassing"? I'm just curious.

ATYCLB period. Calculated album done with the main goal to be succesful in mainstream. After their experimental albums Zooropa, Pop, Passengers ,weren´t recieved by public very well, U2 resigned on their artistic ambition and just focused on charts and radio friendly songs. They tried to look cool and young for pop kids, but they weren´t anymore. All the stuff at that era like their music videos, album production, heart shaped stage - simply embarrassing...

ATYCLB period. Calculated album done with the main goal to be succesful in mainstream. After their experimental albums Zooropa, Pop, Passengers ,weren´t recieved by public very well, U2 resigned on their artistic ambition and just focused on charts and radio friendly songs. They tried to look cool and young for pop kids, but they weren´t anymore. All the stuff at that era like their music videos, album production, heart shaped stage - simply embarrassing...

Zooropa did very well and Passengers was released without fanfare and not under the name U2. Let's not rewrite history.

Back
Top Bottom