SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any chance Lights Of Home tells us what Bono’s health scare was? Something in the lyrics caught my attention. Curious what others think.

They never specified that it was a health scare - I have heard it referred to as a "brush with mortality"

I believe what they are referring to is the near miss terror attack in Nice when he was in a restaurant with Elton John among others.

That's the only thing that really comes to mind in regards to this subject that has been reported anyways.

This is what I was trying to say. On most other recent albums of theirs, I kept listening to unearth the magic. On this one, I keep mysf from listening too much so as not to bury the magic already unearthed.

The Nice attack was in the summer. I get the impression this was probably closer to fall, when they started to hedge about the release.

In the Australia 60 Minutes interview, he mentioned something about changing his habits/working too hard, which screams health issue to me.

If I had to place a bet, I would guess something mundane (but of course still terrifying), like something heart-related. His comments about habits make me lean toward that over say, a cancer scare.

I feel a little guilty speculating, because he's obviously being private about it, but I'm not going to pretend I'm not thinking about it.

But hey. After it happened, they did a world tour and are ready for another. He's healthy now, so yay.

Last edited:
The Nice attack was in the summer. I get the impression this was probably closer to fall, when they started to hedge about the release.

In the Australia 60 Minutes interview, he mentioned something about changing his habits/working too hard, which screams health issue to me.

If I had to place a bet, I would guess something mundane (but of course still terrifying), like something heart-related. His comments about habits make me lean toward that over say, a cancer scare.

I feel a little guilty speculating, because he's obviously being private about it, but I'm not going to pretend I'm not thinking about it.

But hey. After it happened, they did a world tour and are ready for another. He's healthy now, so yay.

I could see that with Bono - stress on the body caused by exhaustion from too many commitments hes tried to keep. Hes not getting any younger like us all :)

Hi - John is it?

My name is Jack. I’m also 31. I loved your thoughts on the album.

I also suffer from clinical depression, diagnosed five years ago.

As a reverse of your experience of splitting from your Ali before SOI, I separated from my long time partner in April, not long before the release of SOE.

She was someone who helped me with my mental health whilst also struggling with her own. We couldn’t keep it together, even after I began my journey of trying to be a better man, and now that journey continues for me as an individual.

We are all the same, and we are all unique. You’ll be okay, even if this has been a tough three years. Just like I will be okay. The only way out of the dark forest at night is to go through it.

We might be strangers - and perhaps this is the beauty of art and U2’s work in particular - but you’re not alone in the world. I’m so glad you appreciate the new album. So do I! This seems to be a confounding effort from a band whose best days appeared to be long in the past. But by golly, they’ve created something genuinely worthwhile - and modern!

This is an exciting moment to be a U2 fan - as Bono says, this is no time not to be alive. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Thanks, Jack. Appreciate it.

So ‘I caved and listened today and I’m not sure there is much more to add in terms of my thoughts on the songs that hasn’t been said already by all of you but ‘I will say this. Listening to this album has given me a feeling of finding out your best friend who you know everything about just told you a secret about themselves that made them even more awesome. This wasn’t what ‘I was expecting at all but man do ‘I like my best friend more now.
That's a hell of a cool post. Perfectly said!

Summer of Love is my favourite. If this was by an unknown band, it's good enough for me to have a peep at their discography

It's an amazing feeling to be surprised again by a band you've followed and loved for twenty years. I'm floored by this album, and, strangely... I'm really proud of the boys for it.

So has anybody overdosed on this album yet? Just wondering :) Just a few days till Friday to get a proper copy...will be the best weekend of the year!

Nope. On the contrary. Cant get it out of my head.

They never specified that it was a health scare - I have heard it referred to as a "brush with mortality"

I believe what they are referring to is the near miss terror attack in Nice when he was in a restaurant with Elton John among others.

That's the only thing that really comes to mind in regards to this subject that has been reported anyways.

No don’t think that’s it - Bono has said it made him have to change aspects of how he lives his life. Wouldn’t be the case with a terror attack.

I've started to skip past Best Thing and go straight to Summer of Love during my listens now.

for people new to U Talkin U2 To Me: don't expect a serious dissection of U2. It's a comedy podcast with some U2 talk in the second half, and the joke is that they don't talk about what they're supposed to talk about...but when they do it's pretty good!

I was laughing when they said that it was the first time that people were hearing the songs....I had listened to it three times in the time it took them to get to talking about the album. :lol:

they've got to release outtakes from Innocence & Experience. There's got to be a lot sitting there, and judging by the tracks that didn't make the albums - Crystal Ballroom, Lucifer's Hands, Invisible, Book of Your Heart, Lights of Home strings - there's probably some great stuff sitting on hard drives.

Was thinking about this as well.

No don’t think that’s it - Bono has said it made him have to change aspects of how he lives his life. Wouldn’t be the case with a terror attack.

So, the lyrics that caught my attention (Lights of Home) are:

I was born from a screaming sound
I can see the lights in front of me
I thought my head was harder than ground
One more push and I'll be born again
One more road you can't travel with a friend

Sounds like he hit his head (maybe that’s a reference to his bike accident)? But then the “one more push” line could reference a heart attack (CPR?), as others have mentioned.

I don't really have an issue with GOOYOW's place on the record, but mainly with the music itself... Strictly my opinion, but of all the songs on the album, it's the tune that sounds most "redundant," for lack of a better term, to what one might expect a 21st century U2 pop song to sound like. Again, i don't find the song to be some aural catastrophe, but rather just simply unremarkable.

It sounds the most like a U2 by the numbers tune - kind of like "Invisible." Fortunately for me, I like U2's numbers, as long as there are not too many of these types on the album. That's one of the things I like about this album, there is something for every type of U2 fan.

I'm wondering if SOE has changed anyone's opinion about SOI, either positively or negatively?

I’ve always loved SOI. If anything, it has deepened my appreciation for the album and the band because to me it’s two albums in a row of sustained brilliance and a sort of miracle resurgence after No Line, which I liked in parts but it’s my least favorite in the catalog. SOE is better than SOI but I view SOI as the foundation for what comes next. SOE might not have been the same without it.

I'm wondering if SOE has changed anyone's opinion about SOI, either positively or negatively?

I resent it more, wishing the callbacks on SOE were to better songs on SOI. While not great, SOE is better than SOI and the latter undermines it.

Any chance Lights Of Home tells us what Bono’s health scare was? Something in the lyrics caught my attention. Curious what others think.
I've posted this already, but yes - I absolutely think Lights of Home is about the bike crash, the aftermath, the recovery, and a big heaping does of depression mixed in.

Depression is all over this album, and frankly, I'd you go back throughout Bono's more personal records, it's shocking how we haven't noticed this before.

Gone, anyone?

So, the lyrics that caught my attention (Lights of Home) are:

I was born from a screaming sound
I thought my head was harder than ground
One more push and I'll be born again
One more road you can't travel with a friend

Sounds like he hit his head (maybe that’s a reference to his bike accident)? But then the “one more push” line could reference a heart attack (CPR?), as others have mentioned.
I think the line about his head is about his bike crash. That was pretty serious, so it's not a stretch to assume songs were inspired by both.

Hello everyone! The debate continues between the album version and string version. I happen to love both. The string one seems to flow better from Love is All, and the album version has a little more stripped down punch in the drums through the middle of the song, and of course the riff.

So I did a couple of mixes that might bridge the gap for anyone who is interested.

First is the Lights of Home (Womanfish String Heavy Mix) This one starts with just the string version and has the album version enter midway and then end with a string heavy mix towards the end.

The second is the Lights of Home (Womanfish - String Hybrid Mix)
This one starts with a combo of the album and string version, and then is the same as the mix above after that.

Hope you guys like it. Let me know what you think.

Here is the link:

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/uPFXJNRKE3

I think the line about his head is about his bike crash. That was pretty serious, so it's not a stretch to assume songs were inspired by both.
Well, the bike crash was very serious from what we know, and it's entirely possible, even likely, that it was even worse than what we know.

I mean... to hit the ground so hard that, despite wearing a helmet, you crack your orbital bone? And a compound fracture on his arm (i.e. his arm bone-o was sticking out of his skin)? It's highly likely that the crash knocked him unconscious.

Well, the bike crash was very serious from what we know, and it's entirely possible, even likely, that it was even worse than what we know.

I mean... to hit the ground so hard that, despite wearing a helmet, you crack your orbital bone? And a compound fracture on his arm (i.e. his arm bone-o was sticking out of his skin)? It's highly likely that the crash knocked him unconscious.

I wondered about brain injury, stroke, facial nerve damage (sorry, I'm a speech pathologist and neuroscientist, so I think about this stuff). Whatever it was, I'm glad he made a good recovery.

I’m wondering if someone has U2 fever with this release... I just walked into my client company’s cafeteria to buy a cup of tea, and they were playing the UABRS version of Gloria when they usually play pretty generic pop hits. Not normal corporate cafeteria music.

Burning up with every listen.

Back
Top Bottom