SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ps: I apologize for saying this, but Book of your heart has exploded for me and is becoming one of my favaorite song in almost ever! I was amazed by it when I first heard it and usually songs that I instantly get are the ones that bore me after a few more listens but this song just keeps getting stronger and stronger for me. I’ve listened to it a ton of times and it gets better each time. The only songs that it doesn’t beat for me are songs like One, the fly, hmtmkmkm with the last song mentioned holding the number one spot on my ultimate favorite song.

Book of Your Heart is the strongest so far for me. I actually really enjoyed it. The string version of Lights of Home is also really enjoyable.

So has anybody overdosed on this album yet? Just wondering :) Just a few days till Friday to get a proper copy...will be the best weekend of the year!

The current promo push is heavily focused on the band's full history... the Amazon special covers all 40 years, and the listening session in LA today did the same. I could see that being an emphasis with SOI, but I'm surprised to see such a heavy emphasis on legacy here.

Maybe the Innocence->Experience->Ascent->Retirement theory is still valid? Anyone have thoughts? When SOI was released Bono started talking about SOE almost immediately. I wonder if he's going to start talking about the next phase soon?

I'd be surprised if they weren't planning for a break after this tour. The last three years have been full on: album, accident, tour, recording, health scare, tour, album release, tour. I bet they'll take a break after this, and I doubt they'll only do one more album after this. They seem confident and to be having fun, and Bono's scare seems to have refocused him as an artist. It might be wishful thinking, but I think they'll keep going til one of them dies.

So whatever happened to the new interactive visual platform thingy that Apple was supposed to launch with SOE? Remember that being talked about a few years ago? Was probably just an idea that was never actioned

I'm actually not so sure which one I like more now haha.

LOL I hear you! They are pretty tied in the goodness scale. But I find the string version to work better after love is all. The string edges the album one. I liked the string a lot more than the album when I first heard it, but I’ve warmed up to the album version just nicely. Also I also loved AS a lot when it came out, but now I skip it a lot of times. (I figured this would happen as soon as I heard it and loved it right away). There are just too many far better songs on this album than as. I agree with others as well that the first songs we heard are certainly the weakest of the album except for the blackout, that is still a great song.

love is bigger has grown on me a lot. The first couple times I heard it it was too overwhelming to digest, but it's stellar.

I feel the same way about it too....I thought it was a bit cheesy on first listen but then I learned to embrace its sentiment and big sound and now I find it very uplifting and epic.

Right now I absolutely love 13 (There is a Light) ....that's a gut punch of a song.

My favorites change every day!

So has anybody overdosed on this album yet? Just wondering :) Just a few days till Friday to get a proper copy...will be the best weekend of the year!

I've overdosed on the singles before the leak, and now I'm overdosed on all the songs, but the craving will come back soon. No album, no matter how good, can tolerate that many repeated listenings without a tolerance effect.

I like both, but the album version just edges it

:up::up::up:......... Larry's awesome drum sound from the beginning of the album version of LOH just makes all the difference. It edges ahead the album version over the string version for me. Larry is the unsung hero of Songs of Experience.

I've overdosed on the singles before the leak, and now I'm overdosed on all the songs, but the craving will come back soon. No album, no matter how good, can tolerate that many repeated listenings without a tolerance effect.

Agreed! I’m almost at overdosing! Soon I’ll give this album a break and maybe pick up radio heads last album. I could never get into king of limbs but haven’t heard one song from moonsshaped. I’ll come back before long to this album. I must say I am kina envious of those who held out till the official release lol.

The last few days i've been purposely only listening to the album 1 time a day - on the first day it leaked I probably listened to it in full 6 times :)

First spin through. Depth, darkness, emotion. Those previously released tracks really had me unprepared for what I heard. Whatever scared Bono drove him in a good way on this album. No fluff on this album. I forgot what they were capable of. It was great to be reminded. 8.8/10

I wonder if they will release some more unreleased songs like lucifers hands or CB or native son etc. Probably not since they released BOYH already but here is to hoping. I would love to be given the key to their vault, I am sure that there must be quite a few gems from every era there as well as a lot of unfinished junk and ideas but sure as hell would be quite interesting to get a peak into their vaults! Some of the songs that where seen in videos from the making of NLOTH sounded pretty epic for example.

So ‘I caved and listened today and I’m not sure there is much more to add in terms of my thoughts on the songs that hasn’t been said already by all of you but ‘I will say this. Listening to this album has given me a feeling of finding out your best friend who you know everything about just told you a secret about themselves that made them even more awesome. This wasn’t what ‘I was expecting at all but man do ‘I like my best friend more now.

Back
Top Bottom