SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you kidding me with the Summer of Love-Red Flag Day-Showman trio? No, seriously?

Who are these guys?

They weren't joking, they weren't misusing the word, Scott Aukerman just says it's the penultimate song because it is, in fact, the second to last song.

Holy schnikes, guys. :lol:

Are you kidding me with the Summer of Love-Red Flag Day-Showman trio? No, seriously?

Who are these guys?

Add the next two songs and that’s my favorite stretch on a U2 album in a long time. I like Blackout, but it’s a little jarring after that stretch.

I haven't contributed much here since the NLOTH days, but I have been reading this thread with great interest. Like many others I am loving the album with the exception of of a couple of tracks (main offender being The Showman).

I will only offer this piece of advice:
*If you buy the deluxe version, TURN THAT SHIT OFF after track 13. Put the bonus tracks on a separate playlist or something. The gut-wrenching double shot of "Love is Bigger" and "13 (There is a Light)" needs to be followed by a period of silent awe and introspection, not a chirpy remix of a song from 2013.

I will only offer this piece of advice:
*If you buy the deluxe version, TURN THAT SHIT OFF after track 13. Put the bonus tracks on a separate playlist or something. The gut-wrenching double shot of "Love is Bigger" and "13 (There is a Light)" needs to be followed by a period of silent awe and introspection, not a chirpy remix of a song from 2013.

This 100%

You need to just sit there after those two.

I keep coming back to Lights of Home; it in a way best represents the album and why I love it. It's familiar, except it doesn't quite go where you expect it to. The verses are punchy and pounding, but just when you think the song is gonna go into an extra gear in the chorus (because that's what they often do) it goes into a more chill mode instead, revealing a super strong catchy melody and an unexpected mood. And then there's that climactic choral ending, the first example of several instances where they don't shy away from doing these unapologetically big, soaring moments where they let the songs be as beautiful or catchy or cathartic as they can be and don't hold back.

I know I am gushing, but honestly can't help it. Even though I have gushed and exclaimed over the last two days, I think I have successfully avoided making sweeping statements about this album's place in the stellar U2 catalogue. I can't give a song by song review because I am still coming to terms with them on an intellectual level. But emotionally, man, I'm there.

To come back on point, I can only compare my listening experience to previous post-2000 albums. I am differentiating between pre and post 2000 because although I just caught the Pop release as a newly sentient U2 fan, I truly became a superfan with the All That You Can't Leave Behind (Suitcase, you are truly a Headache) release in terms of looking forward to an album and the expectations that entails. That album did not disappoint, but after that I fell into the superfan trap.

Although you wouldn't know it if you checked my post history, I was underwhelmed by dismantle. I remember that, after the leak, I was secretly wishing there was some gamechanger in the official release (hence my inordinate love for Fast Cars, which wasn't part of the leak). But I tried... the superfan trap.

By the time No Line rolled around I was desperate to like the songs. But by then I also wondered that you shouldn't have to expend so much effort to like songs by your favourite band, there was a disconnect there. I know we all like to say that U2 songs are growers, but there has to be something to grab you on the first couple of listens for the seed to be planted. Something that makes you want to come back because you want to, not because you feel like it is your duty.

Of course, there were some songs that I didn't have to do that for in No Line.... Breathe, the title track, Fez and perhaps Cedars (Moment of Surrender, unlike many here, struck me much much later). On Innocence it was much the same, Every Breaking Wave being the big exception along with troubles and sleep. But the rest I had to 'like' after an abnormal amount of listening on repeat, on most occasions because I felt I had to. The superfan question of would I be listening if this wasn't U2 kept bugging me. It bugged me because I strongly, if secretly, suspected that the answer was no.

This is the happy part. I have not listened to Songs of Experience all that much. But I want to. Like I said in an earlier post, I am busy now, but not so busy that I cannot put on a pair of headphones while working. But there are songs on here, around three-fourths of the album, that I want to listen to actively. And I swear it's not because it's U2. This band I am listening to as I write this could be called Taylor Swift and I would come back to it. In that way I feel like I am a new fan today. And that is the greatest gift I could have asked from a band that has been very, very giving.

Sorry for the ramble, once again.

Who are these guys?

This. Unlike other albums, there is no sag in the middle. That triple threat is just a joy to listen to every time.

Bit of a left-field question. I've loaded the rip onto my Google Music account and am racking up the plays. I know a certain number of plays adds to an album sale as far as charts are concerned. Will these plays be adding to those figures? Cosmo? Other chart-buffs?

Add the next two songs and that’s my favorite stretch on a U2 album in a long time. I like Blackout, but it’s a little jarring after that stretch.
Agreed. Landlady floored me. Little things, well I have been very clear about how I feel about that. I only stop at Showman because its the end of disc 1 on the leak.

Love blackout, but its a little jarring after Little things (EDIT: Sorry, Landlady... it's late), you're right

Last edited:
Bit of a left-field question. I've loaded the rip onto my Google Music account and am racking up the plays. I know a certain number of plays adds to an album sale as far as charts are concerned. Will these plays be adding to those figures? Cosmo? Other chart-buffs?

Doubtful. I would think only the tracks streamed from the paid service count vs the tracks streamed from your account locker; the latter are available for free without a subscription and the former can be properly tracked across all subscribers.

love is bigger has grown on me a lot. The first couple times I heard it it was too overwhelming to digest, but it's stellar.

I really didn’t like Showman. Not one bit. Now I can’t get it out of my head. Same with the kids. They keep singing it. Perfect pop song, I guess.

The current promo push is heavily focused on the band's full history... the Amazon special covers all 40 years, and the listening session in LA today did the same. I could see that being an emphasis with SOI, but I'm surprised to see such a heavy emphasis on legacy here.

Maybe the Innocence->Experience->Ascent->Retirement theory is still valid? Anyone have thoughts? When SOI was released Bono started talking about SOE almost immediately. I wonder if he's going to start talking about the next phase soon?

I’m not sure if Andy Barlow has the chops to do a rock record but it would be fascinating to have just a collaboration with him if indeed he is the sole producer on Love Is All We Have Left. Passengers 2 with Andy Barlow?

I’m not sure if Andy Barlow has the chops to do a rock record but it would be fascinating to have just a collaboration with him if indeed he is the sole producer on Love Is All We Have Left. Passengers 2 with Andy Barlow?

I tend to agree with this, I love the sound on the opening track.

So The Showman has replaced Best Thing and Get Out as my 4 year old's fave song.
Take that, music critics. 4 year olds don't read.

Best Thing has been replaced by The Blackout for my 4 year old. All because it starts with the word "dinosaur." [emoji23][emoji23]

I think we could very well be in for another great album after this one. ATYCLB got the bands confidence back after Pop which I think ultimately led to Bomb being a huge success for them. I can see a similar turn of events here. They will have their swagger back and I think the next record will reap the benefits of them being loose and not over cooking it when the stakes are lower.

Pretty much all the songs we've seen mentioned over the years have shown up on this album.

And if there is a Songs of Ascent, the cover art better have something to do with Adam.

Just finished first listen. Really disappointed :( . U2 trying to sound way too much like contemporary pop.

Just finished first listen. Really disappointed :( . U2 trying to sound way too much like contemporary pop.

It’s ok. This album is a grower! Give it a chance your opinion on might change. But if doesn’t that is certainly ok. I think this album just needs some digesting to really get it despite being on the poppy side.

Ps: I apologize for saying this, but Book of your heart has exploded for me and is becoming one of my favaorite song in almost ever! I was amazed by it when I first heard it and usually songs that I instantly get are the ones that bore me after a few more listens but this song just keeps getting stronger and stronger for me. I’ve listened to it a ton of times and it gets better each time. The only songs that it doesn’t beat for me are songs like One, the fly, hmtmkmkm with the last song mentioned holding the number one spot on my ultimate favorite u2 song.

Back
Top Bottom