SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was hoping all the bubblegum was exhausted in the singles :wink:

I kinda figured that this has a bit of a mixture which I'm not that thrilled about but here's hoping that it has enough of those emotionally charged moments that the last one lacked.

If only they would make an album filled with songs like Acrobat and Love is Blindness. I would be in heaven.

They did. It was called Achtung Baby.

Man listening to this album through good ear phones is eargasmic!!! So many layers!!

Tellin ya. The producers may get best supporting player MVP on this one. I'm thinking Barlow and Thomas are responsible for a lot of the new atmospheric tones on this album, and they really work.

Was released In early September. Don’t necessarily disagree with you, but in those categories Coldplay/Chainsmokers and Imagine Dragons (Thunder) did receive nominations. Ugh.
I believe I saw that Coldplay's EP we nominated for best rock Album, which is an obscene joke on so many different levels

But Best Shouldn't get a Grammy nod. Little Things next year, however...

Didn't Best Thing come out in October?

Not that they deserve a Grammy nom for it... they don't.

Nope, September 6th. And yeah, that song (though I think it's fine) doesn't deserve a Grammy nomination. Had they released Lights of Home, Summer of Love or...well, most of the songs on this album, then I think it'd deserve it.

Yes, but beware it also has a shitload of bubblegum, Broadway and Beatles.
If you include the two bonus tracks there is enough atmosphere there to impress me. But there's no Acrobat or Love is Blindness here.

There's no Acrobat or Love is Blindness, but there is Love is All We Have Left, Little Things and 13...

Love Is All We Have Left must be on of the best things they have done ever.
It is a reminder of how much "too much" pop songs they have released from 00s and forward.
This is the U2 sound I want...

Glad to hear that Peterrrrr! One of my top 2 or 3 on this album for me I think.
I'm a huge fan of their more modern atmospheric, low key stuff like Your Blue Room. And Love is All is just... perfection.

I'm no fan of Sleep Like a Baby Tonight, but it's definitely more "experimental" by U2 standards than anything on SOE.

Oh Axver - SLABT hits it out of the park! Hit for a 6! The fastest lap of the weekend! Match of the Day's Goal of the season! A straight sets victory! It's fantastic!

My brother loved The Best Thing when it was released, and he is NOT a U2 fan. I asked him why, and he said he likes how warm and bright it sounds, unlike Boots or Vertigo. He even adds it to playlists. Today he overheard me listening to Summer of Love, dug it, and then asked "when's the album listening party?" Lol. I guess we're going to listen to the album together when it's officially released. I'm not expecting him to like the rest of it, but if he does, that will be cool.

wow. well if he likes Best Thing and Summer of Love... I would think Red Flag Day, maybe Lights to Home, Showman???,

I can see (and will not participate) in endless, senseless debates over “experimentation,” but damn, you’ve got to be cold as ice not to find at least half the album incredibly moving.

Agreed. "experimentation" is pretty subjective to the listener, so not gonna get down that rabit hole. And I will second you here on this albums emotion.

Say what you want about song structure, experiments, etc... There is a conviction in Bono's writing and delivery on this album that I haven't heard before. Maybe its my own age and being a father, but I have seen post after post of how this album is hitting people emotionally compared to lots of the post 2000 material.

Could the "too tight" and "need room to breath" crowd point to some specific examples?

I do agree it's tight, but I can't point to specific points where the songs should have had more... like, say, the end of The Troubles, or how Invisible seems like it's missing a verse.

Not saying you're wrong... just would like some specifics so I can judge for myself as I'm not hearing it.

I'm with you. I'm going to add "room to breathe" on the list of cringe-worthy, over used Interference terms.

Room To Breathe
Experimentation
Over produced
cut and pasted together

I'm sure I'm forgetting about 10 more...

U6SuIrv.gif

I'm with you. I'm going to add "room to breathe" on the list of cringe-worthy, over used Interference terms.

Room To Breathe
Experimentation
Over produced
cut and pasted together

How about "Bono is dead weight"?

Room To Breathe
Experimentation
Over produced
cut and pasted together

I mean... I'm not trying to poo poo their opinions. I just want some examples to see if I hear it myself

I think U2 songs of the past, especially the 80s, Bono wouldn't cram so many words into a verse. There were pauses between phrasing, which paired with how the band's sound was back then gave a very open air sound to every song. You'd get to hear The Edge play the guitar, where nowadays it feels like he's buried underneath Bono.

A song like Summer of Love would have been 6 minutes in the 80s/90s, as there would have been a longer intro/outro, or even some instrumentation to create some atmospherics. Clearly U2 aren't interested in that route, maybe because it would seem like U2 thing to do.

I personally think they're just better at crafting songs now, where in the past they didn't really know how to finish a song.

All this said I am pleasantly surprised and happy with this album. I've said it many times, but I just want Edge to come back in the mix. But it's a very emotional album, and it's something that's been missing since ATYCLB or maybe even Pop.

I mean... I'm not trying to poo poo their opinions. I just want some examples to see if I hear it myself

Well, not a slam on your post. We just hear that phrase a lot, and often not backed up with examples.

I will say, that a couple songs seem to stop a little short on the end. I think Love is All could play out a while longer with no vocals and be very effective. Possibly Red Flag on the end as well...
Don't love the Showman, but i think it has one of the best outros. And Love is Bigger has a nice long fade as well, which is nice.

Back
Top Bottom