SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally don't care this is pretty exciting, album in full? Yes please!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

album will be played in full, pretty sure after Bonos' announcement in the article

I’ve sung some of these songs a lot… but never all of them. I’m up for it, if our audience is as excited as we are

I am excited ... really ... never thought I will, but now... I AM

According to Edge The US election has put SOE on ice... Ugh. I smell bullshit.

"The idea to take The Joshua Tree on tour came last year when U2 were putting the finishing touches on their upcoming album Songs of Experience. "The election happened and suddenly the world changed," says Edge. "We just went, 'We've got to give ourselves a moment to think about this record and about how it relates to what's going on in the world.'"
The band noticed the parallels between the worldwide political situation that gave rise to The Joshua Tree in 1987 and today. As a result, taking it on tour would give them time to re-think the new album. "[The Joshua Tree] was written in the mid-1980s, during the Reagan-Thatcher era of British and U.S. politics," says the guitarist. "It was a period when there was a lot of unrest. It just felt like, 'Wow, these songs have a new meaning and a new resonance today that they didn't have three years ago, four years ago.' We needed to put the album on ice for a minute just to really think about [it] one more time before putting it out; just to make sure that it really was what we wanted to say."

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't think anybody is saying they want U2 to quit like R.E.M. did are they? I suspect most posters just want to hear newU2 music. SOI seems to be widely regarded as their best album in a long time so you'd expect them to push on from that with SOE.

Of course SOE is coming, but the leaked tour dates just make me wonder what their plans are. The more I think about it the less sense it makes.

The wonderful thing about a U2 show and tour is that (like with other bands) it's a product of many things as well as the music - the band's age, the social and political goings on, the stage setup and everything else. That's why when you listen back to the same songs being played live years ago they can sound so different. So I'm interested to see what these shows are like.

Interesting times I guess.

According to Edge The US election has put SOE on ice... Ugh.

"The idea to take The Joshua Tree on tour came last year when U2 were putting the finishing touches on their upcoming album Songs of Experience. "The election happened and suddenly the world changed," says Edge. "We just went, 'We've got to give ourselves a moment to think about this record and about how it relates to what's going on in the world.'"
The band noticed the parallels between the worldwide political situation that gave rise to The Joshua Tree in 1987 and today. As a result, taking it on tour would give them time to re-think the new album. "[The Joshua Tree] was written in the mid-1980s, during the Reagan-Thatcher era of British and U.S. politics," says the guitarist. "It was a period when there was a lot of unrest. It just felt like, 'Wow, these songs have a new meaning and a new resonance today that they didn't have three years ago, four years ago.' We needed to put the album on ice for a minute just to really think about [it] one more time before putting it out; just to make sure that it really was what we wanted to say."

wow..., are those comments from after the Happy Christmas message??

According to Edge The US election has put SOE on ice... Ugh. I smell bullshit.

I think this is just an excuse for the delay. This is done in August. So it opens it up from there.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

that's all double-edged feelings ... SOE "on ice" because Trump? No, are you kidding?

then again .. on the other hand... this:
32204572865_4b457eb3d7_o.png

More from Edge

Will the next record be Songs of Experience or is it possible it will be something else entirely?

No, I think it's Songs of Experience. When I say it's almost done, we definitely want to take this opportunity to think about it, make sure it's really what we want to put out given the changes that have occurred in the world. And maybe a little will change, but we absolutely wanted to take that chance just to reconsider everything. And who knows? We may even write a couple of new songs because that's the very position we're in. We've given ourselves a little bit of breathing space for creativity.

Do you think that when the Joshua Tree tour ends, the Innocence and Experience tour will get revved up again with the same staging and everything as last time?

We feel like that tour wasn't finished. So right now, we'd love to finish that tour. I would imagine it's gonna be with very similar production components. But I would hate to attempt to see too far in to the future. That's the working assumption at the moment, but things can change and nothing's written in stone as of yet. But we like that tour and that project wasn't completed. It is still alive in our minds creatively.

Lol, that's the official email just landed!

Nothing in Scotland, one at Twickenham and there's space in between dates for extra shows I guess.

Last edited:
When I say it's almost done, we definitely want to take this opportunity to think about it, make sure it's really what we want to put out given the changes that have occurred in the world. And maybe a little will change, but we absolutely wanted to take that chance just to reconsider everything.

This is possibly the most flimsy and least convincing thing I have ever heard from this band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom