SOE 16: Protect This House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about time we got another instagram cat demo

EDIT: I'm only half kidding btw. it's hard being a U2 fan sometimes :'(

Last edited:
Many days = several weeks = some months = one short year. It's all in how you want to present the delay to people.

Sent from my iPhone 9 from the future.

It wasn't optimism. Days is a unit of measuring time. I predict the album is now less than 369 days away!

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Found this at a Bonnaroo message board on reddit, posted yesterday. Maybe Larry wasn't lying when he said they aren't touring? This person and their "source" really have no reason to make this up, they aren't even U2 fans per se, but Bonnaroo fans. AND it's also very much "in character" with U2 to do something like this. If this is true, then damn... THIS BAND IS FUCKED!! lol

"Source tells me the deal just fell through at the last minute. The band is rethinking their 2017 plans with work on their new album taking top priority.
AC and LN are scrambling for a replacement - they're confident RHCP and The Weeknd will move tickets but they're hesitant to bump up RHCP to top billed name. Preliminary names being tossed around are very outside-the-box.
The rest of the lineup is more or less finalized, but this will likely delay the planned January 11 lineup release "

Found this at a Bonnaroo message board on reddit, posted yesterday. Maybe Larry wasn't lying when he said they aren't touring? This person and their "source" really have no reason to make this up, they aren't even U2 fans per se, but Bonnaroo fans. AND it's also very much "in character" with U2 to do something like this. If this is true, then damn... THIS BAND IS FUCKED!! lol

"Source tells me the deal just fell through at the last minute. The band is rethinking their 2017 plans with work on their new album taking top priority.

AC and LN are scrambling for a replacement - they're confident RHCP and The Weeknd will move tickets but they're hesitant to bump up RHCP to top billed name. Preliminary names being tossed around are very outside-the-box.

The rest of the lineup is more or less finalized, but this will likely delay the planned January 11 lineup release "

When is bonoroo? They plan on still working on the album then?

Or this is the person who started the rumor and they're now covering their ass?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just found that post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bonnaroo/comments/5irhnl/u2_are_out/

Interestingly, quite a few responses seem confident that this rumour of U2 pulling out is false. There's a mention of an insider saying it's made up, and someone points out this is the only post this guy (saying U2 are out) has made, implying it's a troll.

The general buzz still seems in favour of U2 playing, and as pointed out, these aren't really U2 fans, so there's a lot less reason for the overall rumour of a U2 Bonnaroo performance to be made up, or believed without good reason.

I can still completely see the entire thing being untrue, or it being true and U2 flaking out, but this particular post of them dropping out doesn't seem to be anything to worry about (for now).

The meltdown is real

cupc4c3umamqkz8.jpg

Well, look how that turned out...

There is hope (?) yet!

"Looks like 2017 will be a busy one for the band - make sure you stay tuned over the next few weeks."

January 11 (the Bonnaroo lineup announcement) would fall under that timeframe. Maybe it's this - and perhaps some other festivals - that u2.com is referring to, rather than album or even tour news.

"Looks like 2017 will be a busy one for the band - make sure you stay tuned over the next few weeks."

January 11 (the Bonnaroo lineup announcement) would fall under that timeframe. Maybe it's this - and perhaps some other festivals - that u2.com is referring to, rather than album or even tour news.
Entirely possible.

They could have Bonnaroo lined up and will be announcing as such in the coming weeks... as the expected announcement is Jan 11

Now it would make sense if they also have an album to release... but, ya know, U2

When is Bonnaroo anyways?

But then, Registered Dude's info, and it seemed to pan out just how he predicted, his info was the album was essentially finished in September and signed off for release by all band members except Edge.
That just doesn't sound like major delays.
I still think they're rearranging, not restarting.
Whether that means giant tour I don't know. They have so much else in their lives these days and they've toured virtually non stop since 1979.
But the album is there. It's sitting there on a computer at Hanover Quay.
What we really need are some Russian hackerd.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Entirely possible.

They could have Bonnaroo lined up and will be announcing as such in the coming weeks... as the expected announcement is Jan 11

Now it would make sense if they also have an album to release... but, ya know, U2

When is Bonnaroo anyways?

June 8-11. It lines up with an album early next year (leading to a tour in the summer), which I'm sure is why it was booked to begin with.

We know U2 will come out of the woodwork for completely one off things like Invisible or iHeartradio, quite clearly because they intended to have albums out but failed to do so, so even if they're announced for Bonnaroo, I won't take it as a guarantee of anything until we actually have an album announcement.

I think with festivals, lineups are announced early, and on their own terms, so if the cat will be out of the bag by january then U2 (if they are really playing) will have to announce it regardless of progress with the album.

Like kiwilad says, maybe the album really is largely finished. Maybe we will hear something in jan/feb/march. I'm doubtful, but there is the possibility...

Maybe they wrote an anti Trump song and will release around the inauguration. Ha.

Seriously though, I think we'd hear something sooner rather than later. The further into the year we get the less likely it is that we get an album AND tour in 2017. If that is, indeed, the plan then you'd assume the album would be out in Q1.

If we hit April and still nothing, feel free to freak out

Maybe they wrote an anti Trump song and will release around the inauguration. Ha.

Seriously though, I think we'd hear something sooner rather than later. The further into the year we get the less likely it is that we get an album AND tour in 2017. If that is, indeed, the plan then you'd assume the album would be out in Q1.

If we hit April and still nothing, feel free to freak out

Well hey, they crave relevance, so why not... this delay is clearly due to them re-writing the album lyrics to be anti-trump :wink:

Yeah, saying "2017 will be busy" (along with the competition to see a 2017 rehearsal) implies to me that both an album and tour are planned for the coming year. It does feel kind of telling that U2.com would say this, makes it seem semi-official to me.

I'd wager they're planning/hoping for an early spring release, but we'll see!

Very curious to see what january does/doesn't hold.

If I had to guess I'd say single in late January/early February with album dropping in March.

If they're touring, you'd assume they would want to start by late spring. You'd also think they'd want to hit Bonnaroo in full gear, and probably not have to have a crazy travel schedule to do it like they did for Glastonbury.

So us in the summer then? Perhaps start in Europe late spring? Late April through May

I think it's possible, assuming the stage set up/set list largely remains the same, that they could release SoE and tour very soon after (compared to the bigger gaps between NLOTH & 360, or SoI & I&E). So, I could conceivably see them releasing in the summer and starting the tour in late autumn/winter. I.e. the album might not be imminent, but 2017 could still be busy, just not until the second half.

But this Bonnaroo rumour (and the u2.com email) suggests touring in the summer, implying an album earlier than that. Plus i suppose there's still album promotion/learning new songs for the tour, regardless of re-using the I&E setup, so time will be needed for that.

Think I agree with your timeline. I'd imagine the plan is for something soon. Is the US normally the first area for the band to tour? I remember with 360 they started in Europe, but maybe that was unusual.

I think it's possible, assuming the stage set up/set list largely remains the same, that they could release SoE and tour very soon after (compared to the bigger gaps between NLOTH & 360, or SoI & I&E). So, I could conceivably see them releasing in the summer and starting the tour in late autumn/winter. I.e. the album might not be imminent, but 2017 could still be busy, just not until the second half.

Thing is though, since Achtung Baby U2 never start a new tour in the second half of the year. Obviously that's not gospel but I would guess either first half of 2017 or first half of 2018 for tour.

Last edited:
Thing is though, since Achtung Baby U2 never start a new tour in the second half of the year. Obviously that's not gospel but I would guess either first half of 2017 or first half of 2018 for tour.

Ah, that's interesting. Is there a reason for that? Do people just tend to go to more gigs in the spring/summer than winter (even for arena shows)?

Not to be a nitpicky asshole, but 360 began on June 30th, which was only 2 days away from being in the 2nd half of 2009. The I&E Tour was originally supposed to begin with a European Tour in September of 2014, but that was when the album was going to come out in the spring. The album could be released in spring of 2017 and the tour begin in the fall.

However, I'm calling it now. Album fall of 2017, slightly modified version of the I&E Tour in 2018-19, with a different name. There's really no reason at all to think an album is even close to being released. They did what they usually do and completely chickened out. Either time will prove me right, or I'll be pleasantly surprised. I really think I'm right, though.

How awkward would the t-shirts etc look if they kept the name? "U2 - INNOCENCE AND EXPERIENCE TOUR 2015, 2018-2019"
If they don't tour until 2018 then you are right, possibly it will be an album/tour with different name/theme

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

Last edited:
However, I'm calling it now. Album fall of 2017, slightly modified version of the I&E Tour in 2018-19, with a different name. There's really no reason at all to think an album is even close to being released. They did what they usually do and completely chickened out. Either time will prove me right, or I'll be pleasantly surprised. I really think I'm right, though.

There's also no reason to believe this is how it pans out. If they were going to treat this as a new tour then they wouldn't go with just a slightly modified version.

It's either a first or second quarter release and continuation of the tour, or nothing at all this year, and we see a farewell tour in a year or two.

There's also no reason to believe this is how it pans out. If they were going to treat this as a new tour then they wouldn't go with just a slightly modified version.

Well, the Vertigo Tour was really just a modified version of the Elevation Tour, as far as the stage design went (at least the indoor arena version of Vertigo). That's what I meant, same basic design, but done up differently. NLOTH was released in February of 2009, and by this time we had official confirmation of that, and a name and date of the first single's release. We don't have anything right now, except the title "Songs of Experience", which has been floating around for awhile. March/April release is possible, but something needs to happen as soon as 2017 begins.

Hopefully Bono spills some beans at Christmas Eve!

NLOTH was released in February of 2009, and by this time we had official confirmation of that, and a name and date of the first single's release. We don't have anything right now, except the title "Songs of Experience", which has been floating around for awhile. March/April release is possible, but something needs to happen as soon as 2017 begins.

Hopefully Bono spills some beans at Christmas Eve!

Agreed, If we go by the NLOTH timeline (with a 2 month gap between announcement and release) but assume the album is out march or april, then we should hear something in jan/feb. I think announcing now would be too early, so no reason to worry just yet. If things are still dead by the beginning of february, then I'll be worried. Hopefully we'll start hearing rumblings over the next few weeks.

Am I the only one to think they'll need a few months for promotion & show planning (setlist, video material etc) & rehearsals? If you assume that, then that puts the tour start to the summer (assuming a spring release). I'd say about 1,5 months for promotion, 1 month for rehearsals, 1 month for planning. Oh, and what about summer holidays? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom