So I just spilled my guts to my dad about a lot of stuff.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This will be long. Kind of a rant.

The last couple years haven't been going too well in my house. Overall we lead a good life but my dad has had some really bad issues lately. He has started drinking again (not heavily. Maybe once every few weeks) and it got him a DUI. This was a huge wake up call for him... supposedly. He had to go through a ton a money, a criminal record, raised incurance, disrespect from the family etc. etc.. He vowed to me personally that he would never drink again.

Well, that was a lie. He's been drinking on and off again, and he doesn't seem to be too worried about the fact that if he got pulled over again he'd end up in jail for a long time and he probably wouldn't be able to run the business he owns, which is basically what supports our family and he'd be in jail for a while. He's not an alcoholic or anything. He only drinks maybe once or twice a month. The scary part is that he knows the consequences and just doesn't seem to care.

My mom also has a very bad health problem. Her stomach is cramped up every minute of her life and any stress will make it so she can barely breath. She's been to the hospital a few times.

What's been going on lately is a little complex. My brother is basically a nerd loser (hate to say it, but it's true). He's 23 years old, still living at home, working about 12 hours a week (at a cushy job my dad gave him, which he isn't doing very well with) and going to school part time. He hardly ever leaves the house, has only one friend who he rarely sees and recently got out of a bad relationship which he seems to want to go back in to. My mother has to basically restrict this grown man from his video games and computer before he'll do anything constructive, and many times when he gets restricted from those he'll just go sleep for awhile or something. My other recently found out that he's been lying about his college grades and should have graduated by now. This upset her A LOT because she's still supporting this man child and he's lying like a kid. My mom is the only one who ever disciplines him or scolds him for his behaviour and my dad seems to not really care.

My dad, over the past year or so has basically shut all of us out of his life. Ever since my brother and I have gotten older he seems to not want to deal with us very much. We really only communicate on a casual level. He only ever really talks to us about his work. When I try to talk to him about personal things he kind of shuts me out. He is extremely defensive whenever we accuse him of even small things and sometimes loses his temper. When this happens he either locks himself in his room, goes on a drive or goes to the bar at the restaurant he owns.

My mom usually tries to make the best out of everything. She's really the most amazing person I've ever met. No matter what she takes care of him. When he comes home plastered like an idiot she sits with him and talks to him and feeds him. She always tries to make the situation better and the issues in our family are rarely her fault. But my dad likes to blame everyone but himself.

Tonight I came home from work and everything seemed fine. We were all in a good mood and joking and whatnot. I was upstairs listening to music and I heard my dad talking very loudly. I shut it off and listened for a bit and he was yelling at her, accusing her of something. Apparently she thought he swore, and she made a joke about how he swears around everyone else but us. Well, he didn't like that at all. He started going off on her about how she's accusing him of living a double life between home and work (which in this sense he is. He swears like a madman at work and tries to make it sound evil at home). We all know this, though, and don't mind THAT much, although we don't like it. We never get angry at him about it. Well, my mom apologized and said she didn't mean any harm and HE WOULD NOT LET IT GO. He basically boxed her in so she was forced to defend herself, although what she did was pretty silly and unimportant.

Maybe I shouldn't have, but I butted in. I went downstairs and told them to stop arguing. He told me to mind my own business. I didn't. I told him he's overeacting and that it's not that big of a deal. He told me that mom's trying to accuse him of living a double life. I told him to stop and that this doesn't need to be such a big deal. I almost felt silly arguing with my dad like he's a little kid. He would not let go of the joke my mom made. Eventually he left and went on a drive. My brother and mom did too.

So about half an hour later he comes back and after a bit I go into his room to talk to him. I ask him why he got so mad and what's going on. Again, he tries to blame it on my mom and the stupid unimportant little joke she made. It was obvious he was getting kind of annoyed with me. I immediately told him I don't want to fight but that he needs to stop blaming it on her. I told him that she's a great wife and that he needs to stop acting so immature. He WOULD NOT let go of the joke she made, still, and I got fed up. I told him to stop BSing me and to talk about the real problem. I told him that our house is messed up and that I can tell that he doesn't want me or my brother involved in his life on a deep level at all. He rolls his eyes at me and I tell him to cut the BS and stop guilt tripping me.

After that I started crying and he sobered up a bit. I told him that I don't feel like he ever wants to talk about anything besides his business and that I barely even feel like I have a dad. I told him that my mom tries her best to make things ok and that it seems like he doesn't care at all. I told him that my brother is basically a loser and that he doesn't care to discipline him at all. I told him that I want to have a relationship with him but he shuts everyone out and causes problems. I waited there for a response for about half a minute and he didn't say anything. I said Ok, whatever and walked away.

That was the first time I really confronted him about how I feel. It was hard for me to open up to him because for about the past 8 years he's been like a stranger to me. I'm pretty disappointed, because he doesn't seem to want to respond even now.

What the heck am I supposed to do?

Sorry if that was too long.

Last edited:
Wow. I'm sorry you're going through this, shart :(
I've had somewhat similar issues with my dad. He doesn't drink or anything, but he's distant. He always has been. Every-once-in-a-while he'll talk at a deep level or open up, but it's very rare. My two sisters fought with him after I left the house and they don't talk to him much. They're actually both gone now, too, but they hardly have a relationship with them. He kind of ignores them and my mom. Well, something happened latley with him and he had to talk to us about it. It gave us a chance to speak our minds and tell him stuff that's bothered us. I got stuff out that's been in me for years and years, and I cried a lot, too. He and my mom are in counseling now and it's helping a lot. (It took two tries to find a good one, but they're doing it.) He's applogized to me about stuff and he's working on it with my sisters.

I don't know if this relates to your story much, but I'm sharing it to give you some hope. Some people can't change as easily, but sometimes something comes up to wake them up. It sounds like what you shared with him today and got off your chest is good for both of you. Keep us posted on how he responds. I'll definitely keep you and your family in my prayers. Hang in there.:hug:

I'm glad you spoke up...It's healthy for you and for your family. Sometimes people need to hear things from the ones they love. It seems like your dad is dealing with some pressure. I'm not an expert, so I'm not going to speculate or give advice, but it's great that you let him know how you feel. Best of luck to you and your family...God bless.

It's good to get things off your chest sometimes, and it's a good sign that you're not following your dad's patterns (shutting out people and emotions).

also, he might not drink everyday but he may still be an alcoholic. there are different kinds of alcoholism, and it causes a lot of tension and hurt with family interactions even when the person isn't drinking. it's a set of behaviors. a support group might be good, if you're willing to consider it.

:hug:

Sounds like an alcoholic to me as well. It's nice that you're still reaching out to him, but reasoning with even a sober/dry alcoholic can be futile. He has to justify his own behaviour or he'd have to stop doing it.

Al-anon is a good idea. Sounds like the whole family could use counseling, even if he's not willing to go. It could do you all a world of good.

Good luck!

wow, Im in almost the exact same circumstance! :lol:

Alcoholic dad who never notices im there (I went on holiday once, he didnt notice I was gone until the day after), ill mother who never stops working, and 20 year old brother skiving college who never leaves the house.

I really dont know how to help you with your dad, as i have had no success with mine. :shrug: although it may be more hopeful for your dad has at least attempted to stop. mine wont admit he has a problem, and that it affects us. :|

Hmm, you could try talking to a counselor, i did. it helped a little, but i didnt go though with anything they said about AA meetings, as I know he'd never bother.

Really try and get it though to him, he seems to talk more than my dad, so maybe you can actually get it though to him. Hell, guilt trip him if you can.

Ive gotten to the point where im just trying my best to leave ASAP. Im just tired of living this way, and im sure you feel the same way. :hug:

VertigoGal said:
It's good to get things off your chest sometimes, and it's a good sign that you're not following your dad's patterns (shutting out people and emotions).

also, he might not drink everyday but he may still be an alcoholic. there are different kinds of alcoholism, and it causes a lot of tension and hurt with family interactions even when the person isn't drinking. it's a set of behaviors. a support group might be good, if you're willing to consider it.

:hug:
:up:

I agree completely with this--even if your dad's current drinking doesn't rise to the level of the havoc it previously caused, it sounds like the characteristic behavior patterns of addiction are still very much there (and it sounds like your brother may be displaying some of them too). I had a (now-ex)-brother-in-law who was somewhat like this--he never had a DUI or wound up passed out three times a week or anything like that, but what he would do is withdraw almost every night into his study, drink until he was too out of it to get anything done, and then snarl at his wife or kids if they tried to "bother" him with anything. It's a big step and says good things about you and where you're at with it all that you were able to talk to your dad about it, but ultimately no one but him can make him change, and the rest of you may need to move on with your lives despite him. I would recommend giving Al-Anon a try as well--they've certainly helped a lot of people I know.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I do think his drinking is a problem, but I don't think it's the main cause. Like I said, he gets drunk maybe once a month, and even then he's not smashed or anything. It's not a part of his lifetsyle or anything. He may be a minor alcoholic, yes, but I don't think it's the focus of his problems.

As far as I know he hasn't drank since around Valentine's Day. Unless there's something I don't know about. If he had a huge problem with drinking I think he would have drank since then. The problem seems to be more that he just doesn't care enough about the family to bother himself with us. It's almost like he doesn't want the hassle. He's never not come at night or abandoned us or anything... it's almost like he's a stranger living in the home. Like he lives here but doesn't want to be a part of the family.

Also his irritability doesn't help. From what I've heard he's always been kind of cold. My mom said that even early in their marriage (it's been about 25 years) he would intentionally shut her out when there was a problem as a form of punishment. Reminds me of immature teenage girl games. When someone accuses him of doing something bad he basically has the "how dare you accuse me of that???" attitude. He likes to put the focus on anything he can to take the attention away from the fact that he may in fact be wrong. then he puts the blame on someone else and acts like everyone is teaming up on him. Sometimes it's hard NOT to team up on him because it's so obvious to everyone that he's acting like a baby.

I almost feel like I'm talking to a child sometimes. It's pretty silly but at the same time it's not funny at all because I'm supposed to be able to look up to this guy and I often feel like I'm talking down to him.

Last edited:
Its hard, because its not like you can make them go to a psycologist or anything. :huh: They never admit theyre hurting the family.
At best, you can keep at him, and make the point that he IS acting like a child, and he needs to sort himself out. Is it posible theres an underlying problem he isnt discussing? though I spose if hes been like that a while there wouldnt be...:shrug:

shart1780 said:
He's not an alcoholic or anything. He only drinks maybe once or twice a month. The scary part is that he knows the consequences and just doesn't seem to care.
Martha is correct:

martha said:
Your dad is an alcoholic. Talk to your school counselors about maybe attending some Al-Anon meetings. Your mom might want to go to.

You can be an alcoholic by drinking only once, its not about frequency of drinking, but your actions when you drink.

There is no such thing as a "minor alcoholic" or "weekend alcoholic". Your dad's problems seem to emerge when he drinks, no matter how infrequently that may be, so he needs to stop altogether.

Good luck.

shart1780 said:
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I do think his drinking is a problem, but I don't think it's the main cause. Like I said, he gets drunk maybe once a month, and even then he's not smashed or anything. It's not a part of his lifetsyle or anything. He may be a minor alcoholic, yes, but I don't think it's the focus of his problems.

As far as I know he hasn't drank since around Valentine's Day. Unless there's something I don't know about. If he had a huge problem with drinking I think he would have drank since then. The problem seems to be more that he just doesn't care enough about the family to bother himself with us. It's almost like he doesn't want the hassle. He's never not come at night or abandoned us or anything... it's almost like he's a stranger living in the home. Like he lives here but doesn't want to be a part of the family.

My dad is a recovering alcoholic he could go six months without a drink before a binge when he'd just shut down and disappear for a bit. It was easy to deny he had a problem and get optimistic that we were a perfect family with stretches like that. There are all types of alcoholics and I'm not saying alcohol is your dad's only issue. His sober behavior is obviously a problem as well, as it usually is.

Al-anon etc. can help you and your mom learn to deal with all of it. You won't be able to change him, you can only change the way you react to him and sometimes that change in the family dynamic can force the person to confront their own problems. I'd really take the focus off your dad and the rest of you get help. I really wish my mother had gotten help sooner. She sounds a lot like your mom, spent a lot of time in the hospital, and just stressed trying to deal with things and enable my dad, trying to fix things.

Back
Top Bottom