Shuttlecrab! Part XV - Sweet the shell, butter the taste in my mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm listening to some Elbow right now. In fact, I'm listening to their second, third, and fourth albums for the first time today.

Thanks, Dalton. :up:

Here's what I've got on my list so far - it's only a 4 mile race but I figure it's always good to have a rotating U2 running list going. :drool:

- Lady with the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
- Zoo Station, the Fly and Mysterious Ways, all live from Zoo TV
- Streets from Slane
- Out of Control
- City of Blinding Lights (Chicago)
- Vertigo/Stories for Boys (Chicago)
- Get On Your Boots
- No Line on the Horizon
- Beautiful Day

I used to run to Bowie. Then I stopped running.

I'm actually trying to get in shape again (on Monday I ran a mile and a half in 11 fucking minutes), and will probably run today. Maybe to some NLOTH tracks. See how that works.

other U2 songs I have in one of my workout mixes:
Big Girls Are Best (for the music, I swear :lol: )
Pop Muzik
Fast Cars (Jackknife Lee Mix)
Xanax and Wine
Lemon
The Fly (Vertigo Sao Paulo)
Numb (The Soul Assassins Remix)
All Because of You (Brooklyn Bridge)

I've also just worked out to whatever Popmart show has been on my iPod, too. You know, back when I wasn't lazy and was actually working out regularly :wink:

Pop's good studio takes: Do You Feel Loved, Mofo*, Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Wake Up Dead Man. (5)

Interesting, but absolute messes on the album: Discotheque*, Gone*, Miami*, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Please*. (5)

Ugh: If God Will Send His Angels, The Playboy Mansion.

IMO.

* - This version has its ass kicked by its live version so much that it took me a while to judge it properly.

The single mix of If God... is fantastic stuff. The album version meanders and hits its peak about halfway through. I absolutely love the outro to the single mix.

I have not heard the single mix.

I'll send it over in a sec.

Phanan, thanks again for the extended "Boots..." I really enjoy it, especially the Bonham-esque drums at the beginning... adds some more grit to the whole thing.

Added irony: "Vertigo" is a rip-off of Sonic Youth's "Dirty Boots," and some say that "Get on Your Boots" is a riff on "Vertigo." Interesting.

I'll send it over in a sec.

Phanan, thanks again for the extended "Boots..." I really enjoy it, especially the Bonham-esque drums at the beginning... adds some more grit to the whole thing.

Added irony: "Vertigo" is a rip-off of Sonic Youth's "Dirty Boots," and some say that "Get on Your Boots" is a riff on "Vertigo." Interesting.

The extended intro is just fantastic. I love the playful "da duh da da da da!" at the beginning.

Thanks, by the way, YLB. I'm sorely lacking on single mixes and B-sides when it comes to U2.

Thanks, by the way, YLB. I'm sorely lacking on single mixes and B-sides when it comes to U2.

No problem. If you have any more that you'd like me to send over, lemme know.

I'm making Non-Album and Live CDs for the Lady Friend right now, too. I forgot that she's hasn't heard "Mercy," and that needs to be corrected.

I found out how to make free iPhone ringtones. In your face, Scumbo.

I've been listening to Goo a lot lately, and not once have I realized this. I phail :(

Speaking of phailing:
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...acter-should-bono-keep-doing-this-195325.html

Apparently using characters in writing is bad? :crack:

Listen to the riffs of "Dirty Boots" and "Vertigo" again, then you'll see.

Bono wrote in character for most of Achtung Baby and Zooropa, and to much success. I didn't mind it for No Line... since it added something thematically and made it feel like an actual album, as opposed to the singles-fest that was Atomic Bomb.

I still maintain that Achtung's as close to a concept album as they've ever recorded.

Hey, while you're here, Dalton - were you the one who posted about U2 songs to run to? I'm running a race tomorrow and want to do an all U2 playlist since it's a St. Patrick's Day parade run. :supernerd:

Popmart tunes kick ass for running. Try Hasta La Vista.

Bono wrote in character for most of Achtung Baby and Zooropa, and to much success. I didn't mind it for No Line... since it added something thematically and made it feel like an actual album, as opposed to the singles-fest that was Atomic Bomb.

I still maintain that Achtung's as close to a concept album as they've ever recorded.

I can hear it, certainly better than most of the bullshit comparisons you see in EYKIW. Different enough for me. Certainly better than Bono's verse melody on GOYB.

NLOTH has better lyrics than ATYCLB and HTDAAB, easily.

I can hear it, certainly better than most of the bullshit comparisons you see in EYKIW. Different enough for me. Certainly better than Bono's verse melody on GOYB.

NLOTH has better lyrics than ATYCLB and HTDAAB, easily.

It's not incredibly blatant, but it's still there.

Without a doubt. The only track that's an absolutely lyrical abortion for me is "Unknown Caller," and while there are spotty lines to be found in most of the songs, they aren't that distracting or terrible.

Also, I didn't think that "No Line..." Hybrid mix would work, but it's so fucking awesome that I can't see myself listening to either official version again.

Wow, yeah. There are definitely similarities. I would empty my savings account and donate a kidney to (RED) for VIP seats to see Kim Gordon kick Boner's ass.

I definitely agree with you that AB is the closest they've come to a concept album, and I'd take it another step and argue that Pop tries to be a continuation of that concept. Pop culture can't save you, and if you drown yourself in it for long enough, you end up just feeling more jaded and helpless. I'm still stewing over it, but NLOH, in parts at least, seems like it could be that same character finally finding his way back to something meaningful.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass :wink: I'd better get to work. I have at least 10 personal essay portfolios to grade today.

Wow, yeah. There are definitely similarities. I would empty my savings account and donate a kidney to (RED) for VIP seats to see Kim Gordon kick Boner's ass.

I definitely agree with you that AB is the closest they've come to a concept album, and I'd take it another step and argue that Pop tries to be a continuation of that concept. Pop culture can't save you, and if you drown yourself in it for long enough, you end up just feeling more jaded and helpless. I'm still stewing over it, but NLOH, in parts at least, seems like it could be that same character finally finding his way back to something meaningful.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass :wink: I'd better get to work. I have at least 10 personal essay portfolios to grade today.

Loves me some Gordon.

The Pop one can be debated, but I think a good chunk of it veers off into the whole "Troubles" idea that it isn't that cohesive of a narrative to be considered a full-on concept album, if that makes sense.

The No Line... idea's certainly interesting. I think I'm gonna hold out until Songs of Ascent to make a final opinion on that.

Back
Top Bottom