Shuttlecock XVI - Cobbler's Revenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On first listen through the radio, I thought the song sounded pretty good. Great bass line, immediate, sharp guitar riff, uplifting chorus.

On second listen on Spotify, it's sounds pretty messy and glued together. The bridge is practically non-existent and just doesn't work. And the song ends really suddenly. Maybe it'll be better live.

Let's hope the album is less this and more Blackout.

The Blackout was "cool". This...not so much. They come off like aging corporate rockers trying to manufacture an anthem.

This is probably the most cringeworthy song they've recorded since Crazy Tonight. Not quite as bad as that, but I'd rather hear Song For Someone.

Hopefully this is the worst thing on the album.

Embarrassed to be a fan right now.

Have I taken crazy pills? It's not nearly as bad as all that. I like it fine. I think someone who had a listening session said it was thr poppiest thing on the album, which I'm glad to hear.

Got to say, still think it's better than The Miracle or the middle three of NLOTH. There's a lot of squandered potential on this track.

So Peef was at the show tonight and there were no significant or unexpected setlist changes. The curse is broken?

Unless...except...One got the 'Hear Us Coming' coda on nearly every night of the tour so far, but tonight, it was a Drowning Man snippet instead, per U2gigs.

Curse still alive? Hard to call a rare Drowning Man snippet a bad thing, even if it is at the expense of Hear Us Coming.
I guess the issue is Philly and not me, after all.

I also did not enjoy the new song after listening to it a few times. It almost sounds like a parody of U2 at times, mostly because of Bono I suppose.

"You're the best thing that ever happened a boy" ? What the hell does that mean? I've been reading that sentence over and over and I can't figure out what it means. That's such bizarre syntax.

The song itself is...ehhhhhhhh. Bono still sounds like crap vocally. The lyrics are a mix of predictable filler lines and cringy self deprecation. Unlike The Blackout, absolutely nothing about the rhythm section stands out. I didn't even notice Adam or Larry were on the song. The melody is OK, catchy enough. The minor key turn at the end was an interesting surprise, though I'm not sure how much I liked it.

But this, I must say, is one of Edge's shittiest performances. The chunky rhythm guitar in the verses sounds like something he did in one or two takes and his guitar tone in the chorus reminds me of royalty-free music I've heard online. The solo goes absolutely nowhere. Even Crazy Tonight has an Edge solo that climbs and builds to something. The arrangement of that song was far more successful, even if Bono tried to ruin everything with that weird falsetto he affected in spots.

It's not good.

Last edited:
I love the comment in EYKIW that the song is "indie pop." That's almost as good as the person who claimed Invisible was reminiscent of Joy Division.

"You're the best thing that ever happened a boy" ? What the hell does that mean? I've been reading that sentence over and over and I can't figure out what it means. That's such bizarre syntax.

The song itself is...ehhhhhhhh. Bono still sounds like crap vocally. The lyrics are a mix of predictable filler lines and cringy self deprecation. Unlike The Blackout, absolutely nothing about the rhythm section stands out. I didn't even notice Adam or Larry were on the song. The melody is OK, catchy enough. The minor key turn at the end was an interesting surprise, though I'm not sure how much I liked it.

But this, I must say, is one of Edge's shittiest performances. The chunky rhythm guitar in the verses sounds like something he did in one or two takes and his guitar tone in the chorus reminds me of royalty-free music I've heard online. The solo goes absolutely nowhere. Even Crazy Tonight has an Edge solo that climbs and builds to something. The arrangement of that song was far more successful, even if Bono tried to ruin everything with that weird falsetto he affected in spots.

It's not good.

I agree with most of this , but you're not noticing Adam? The bass seemed to be the only good takeaway.

Some people can't access that link but it worked fine for me, it's just a page with an audio player for the song. You can download it as well.

I agree with most of this , but you're not noticing Adam? The bass seemed to be the only good takeaway.

I'm going to re-listen to it on headphones, I only heard it through computer speakers. Granted, I gave the same listen to Blackout and thought Adam sounded great on that, so it maybe he's playing lower down the neck on this one and the frequency isn't coming through. Bass mixing can be finicky.

Thoughts on 57 year old Bono writing the line "I'm the kind of trouble that u enjoy :bono: " ?

Some people can't access that link but it worked fine for me, it's just a page with an audio player for the song. You can download it as well.

Just refresh it if it doesn't work right away.

SyFy channel mix is definitely better, another baffling decision like putting the better version of Elevation on the Tomb Raider soundtrack.

Bono just confirmed on KROQ that Songs of Experience is being released on December 1st.

:sigh: Yay?

This is the kind of news that used to make my day/week. SOI was the first time I didn't enjoy a new U2 album very much and now that the first two tracks from this are misses for me as well, I'm not sure what to feel. There have been countless bands I've lost interest in over the years because they fell off, but those weren't bands that ignited my love of music and have brought me a decade and a half of joy.

Believe me when I say that I take no pleasure whatsoever in trashing new U2 material and I never want to be the kind of person that's accused of trolling the forum of a band they don't enjoy anymore. I hope Songs of Experience is a big step up and I'll certainly be combing through it for positives if it isn't.

Have I taken crazy pills? It's not nearly as bad as all that. I like it fine. I think someone who had a listening session said it was thr poppiest thing on the album, which I'm glad to hear.

THANK YOU! It's like everyone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today or something. I'm not super in love with the song but it's not horrible. It may have helped that I read all the shitty comments before listening to it too. Lol

Jesus, there are a bunch of chicken littles in here.

From the descriptions, I was expecting Boots or Stand Up Comedy level clunkiness.

The song isn't THAT bad.

Jesus, there are a bunch of chicken littles in here.

From the descriptions, I was expecting Boots or Stand Up Comedy level clunkiness.

The song isn't THAT bad.

Exactly. The funny thing is, I read all the comments first, and then listening to the song was a joyous occasion because I like it and it's not even close to Boots level. Thank goodness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom